Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Question About Solo Hi Flow Cats

I have heard of several complaints of problems with the fit of Solo hi flow cats to the factory exhaust manifolds. It seems as if they do not bolt up properly to the factory manifold and are prone to exhaust leaks which cause a check engine light.

Is this a common problem or a random problem, and if one experiences it what can be done to correct it?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Never heard there was a issue with them bolting up to the OEM stuff. If they're throwing a CEL, it's most likely the rear O2 sensor CEL.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
The shop that installed mine didn't have any fitment issues and the factory O2 sensors get reused on the Solo's - so no CEL's either.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Who told you this? Before I went with headers I got solo performance HFC and they are great. No issues whatsoever and the company has great customer service. I recommend them to anyone that doesn't want header but want added power and exhaust tone.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
It's true..the shop that installed mine did a good job but I did notice the flanges didn't line up exactly. I didn't have any problems with codes or leaks. Now that I have jba shorty headers on the car the fit is perfect.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
We have never encountered that or had any customers come back to us with an issue like that on the Solo cats.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
The flanges are larger than the factory ones, that may be what they are referring to. As far as holes and mating surface they lined up fine, the solo cats have slotted holes or oval shaped to help fitment I assume.

As far as CEL, I have one right now. It was read at autozone as p0420 something like that. I was CEL free for 3 weeks. Then started car one morning and there it was. Going to check the bolts for tight and clear the code and see what happens. Not real happy at this point with that.

But sound is awesome.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
The flanges are larger than the factory ones, that may be what they are referring to. As far as holes and mating surface they lined up fine, the solo cats have slotted holes or oval shaped to help fitment I assume.

As far as CEL, I have one right now. It was read at autozone as p0420 something like that. I was CEL free for 3 weeks. Then started car one morning and there it was. Going to check the bolts for tight and clear the code and see what happens. Not real happy at this point with that.

But sound is awesome.
That code is the cat efficiency code. It stems from the rear O2 sensors not reading right from the high flow cats. There are a couple suggestions on how to get rid of it but many just tune it out.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Thanks to all for the response to my question. I am considering putting these on my LS3 with the dual mode exhaust. Will think about it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
fabric8

Drives: BMW E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Thanks to all for the response to my question. I am considering putting these on my LS3 with the dual mode exhaust. Will think about it.
I just got my hf cats yesterday from Steve at Solo Performance. I'll be installing them Saturday on my 1LE with NPP dual mode exhaust. Will let you know how the install goes.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
I just got my hf cats yesterday from Steve at Solo Performance. I'll be installing them Saturday on my 1LE with NPP dual mode exhaust. Will let you know how the install goes.
You won't be disappointed. The L99 SS didn't have the NPP as an option so I wound up installing the Solo HFC's and their MACH XL w/J pipes cat back system. Now with the CAI, the car sounds like it should with better performance and no drone.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That code is the cat efficiency code. It stems from the rear O2 sensors not reading right from the high flow cats. There are a couple suggestions on how to get rid of it but many just tune it out.
What are these suggestions you speak of????
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Why do people spend so much on high flow cats that require a tune to avoid a CEL, when Stainless Power headers and cats can be had for so close to the same price? And Texas Speed for that matter!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Why do people spend so much on high flow cats that require a tune to avoid a CEL, when Stainless Power headers and cats can be had for so close to the same price? And Texas Speed for that matter!!!
The vast majority of the time they do not require a tune. Like I mentioned before, we have not encountered any problems with them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote