Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
R8cerX

Drives: 2010 CamaroSS
Modern Muscle (Va.) ported TB tested on dyno

Just wanted to give out some great news. I base lined my Magnacharged 10 Camaro SS, then installed a Modern Muscle (Va.) ported throttle body. The gains speak for themselves...just check out the graph below. The throttle response is sooooo much better/quicker than with the stock throttle body.

Just so everyone knows, we did NO tuning before or after the install. We tried to keep everything the same temp wise. The car baselined a little lower than the last time it was on the dyno, which doesn't really matter as far as what the gains from the TB were. The highest number the car ever made was 595rwhp with everything optimized...perfect weather, car cooled down completely, etc, etc.

Due to time constraints, we put the car on the dyno "hot" made a pull for the base line, swapped the TB (3 minutes) and made another couple of pulls.
Attached Images

Frank
10 Camaro Magnacharged- 585rwhp/585rwtq, full exhaust, Pedders Justice/ZL1 sway, Stoptech brakes and 21" 3 Pc. Forgeline wheels
99 Corvette- 502rwhp/460rwtq-402 N/A, 6pis/4pis brakes...fun track car
R8cerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
So, what I take from this is the more modified or better breathing the car is the more effective a ported throttle body becomes. 25hp is quite an improvement.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
So, what I take from this is the more modified or better breathing the car is the more effective a ported throttle body becomes. 25hp is quite an improvement.
You will never see anything close to 25 rwhp on a N/A car.

Is the ported tb the same size as the stock one? Only ported?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8cerX View Post
Just wanted to give out some great news. I base lined my Magnacharged 10 Camaro SS, then installed a Modern Muscle (Va.) ported throttle body. The gains speak for themselves...just check out the graph below. The throttle response is sooooo much better/quicker than with the stock throttle body.

Just so everyone knows, we did NO tuning before or after the install. We tried to keep everything the same temp wise. The car baselined a little lower than the last time it was on the dyno, which doesn't really matter as far as what the gains from the TB were. The highest number the car ever made was 595rwhp with everything optimized...perfect weather, car cooled down completely, etc, etc.

Due to time constraints, we put the car on the dyno "hot" made a pull for the base line, swapped the TB (3 minutes) and made another couple of pulls.

LS3 car?

How many psi?

Any other mods?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
I dunno lethal swears that a ported intake and tb work very well in conjunction with other mods.

On other cars ported tbs and mafs gave good upgrades.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
I dunno lethal swears that a ported intake and tb work very well in conjunction with other mods.

On other cars ported tbs and mafs gave good upgrades.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
It's debatable what gains you'll get on a n/a. Some will say none and the others will say 5-10. No more than that. A ported tb is more about throttle response. A pd blower car is different but it needs to be bigger. Just ported a tb on a pd blower car and gaining 25rwhp is suspect. I gained 25 rwhp with a 102mm tb. Much larger than a ported stocker.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Well any restriction you can remove in front of a positive displacement supercharger will show gains and even some boost increase. IDK about 35lbs of torque and 25RWHP though. That seems like alot for a 90mm TB.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Well any restriction you can remove in front of a positive displacement supercharger will show gains and even some boost increase. IDK about 35lbs of torque and 25RWHP though. That seems like alot for a 90mm TB.

That's what I'm thinking........
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
looking at the dips on the graph, that car has some serious tune/kr issues.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
That's what I'm thinking........
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
looking at the dips on the graph, that car has some serious tune/kr issues.
I agree to all, this is the second time they've posted a suspect dyno graph.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
David Weber

Drives: Walk to work
Hi guys this is Dave Weber from Modern Muscle. The TB results are what we get back from customers and that is all. The post made of the NA dyno run also shows a fair amount of torque increase and the peak number was in line with what you would expect (10-13 peak). All I can say is NA was tested in Germany and boosted in Virginia Beach. The one in Virginia Beach was already a second design. We have been porting heads for about 30 years and throttle bodies for about 7 years. This is our first attempt at the GM line. We do try to listen to all customer input and continuously improve our product. We will keep posting as we get feedback.
David Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
I agree to all, this is the second time they've posted a suspect dyno graph.

Where's Bo White when you need him? Does he have a beacon or something like Batman that'll draw him to this thread?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weber View Post
Hi guys this is Dave Weber from Modern Muscle. The TB results are what we get back from customers and that is all. The post made of the NA dyno run also shows a fair amount of torque increase and the peak number was in line with what you would expect (10-13 peak). All I can say is NA was tested in Germany and boosted in Virginia Beach. The one in Virginia Beach was already a second design. We have been porting heads for about 30 years and throttle bodies for about 7 years. This is our first attempt at the GM line. We do try to listen to all customer input and continuously improve our product. We will keep posting as we get feedback.
From a business perspective one would think if a company trying to break into the GM line like you said, would take it upon themselves to provide the most data and several tests (Dyno, Track) before the outrageous claims of one car. Seriously, I understand your in the business to make money but to enter the C5 forum with far fetched claims especially the NA car a month ago or so really turns people off. You have been in business and porting heads for thirty years, maybe it's just me but I would have expected more out of an introduction rather than going off what a customer claims on his own.. Facts and data speaks volumes. So on a side note all the NA guys should be able to put a 102TB on their cars and expect more than what you claim. Pretty sure the 102 doenst do much for a NA car and for sure not nearly as much on a stock car. In the end your first claim was dynoed at an "Independent shop" with a gain of 13hp and 17tq. Its a safe assumption that a 102 would make atleast 20 right? If that was the case there would be a lot more of them out there no matter how much they were. So, now that I'm done ranting and raving in the end all the camaro owners or who ever for that matter will spend their money on the go fast fix, but when it seems unrealistic the red flag goes up and they wont buy. I get it, there is an ass for every seat and some will bite for the sales claim but most will probably say
I said to much as it is, much luck in your quest. Sorry if I offended anyone, it's been one of those days.........
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ported throttle body, supercharged camaro