Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
sneakyquickSS

Drives: 2010 Black SS M6
Halltech installation help please!!!!!!!

I just received my halltech and it has NO installation instructions in it. I know this is straight forward but there is one glaring problem I have with the intake tube. Do I have to cut out the center diameter of the tube where the filter goes? Seriously this thing only has a small drill hole in the center of the tube. Everything else is blocked off. I love how simple this intake is but I really shouldnt have to cut out the 102mm diameter myself. Can someone point me in the right direction with this? Maybe I am missing something here.
sneakyquickSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
sneakyquickSS

Got my answer. I emailed a pic to Halltech and they are sending me a new tube. It was missed somehow in quality control. This tells me Halltech is a great company to deal with. Jim was very nice and I will have my new part the first part of next week.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Emperor_SS

Drives: 05 C6
glad you got your answer
Emperor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Hope you enjoy the roar of your Yellow Jacket when it comes. It's a great intake.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
sneakyquickSS

Roar is an understatement! This thing is LOUD! I have to say though my first impression is not good at all. This engine makes way to much heat for one thing. The intake tube is extremely hot after 10 minutes of driving. Hopefully a new hood with extractors will help this. The car feels like a v6 when the temps get above 70.

As for the intake.....After installing it I was all bark and no bite. Acceleration was worse than stock. 2nd gear is AWESOME! instant bang when you stomp the throttle. 3rd gear falls on its face. At 55 MPH I punched it and literally counted each MPH increase. It was loud but no power. The normal knock you back in the seat is gone. I am hoping that the computer will learn what to do with the better air and it will get better but after the excitement that was building from reading about everyones intakes I am a little let down right now.

I read in another forum that it was recommended to increase the MAF scales by 16% since you are getting that much more air with a 102mm tube. I have EFI live so does anyone think this should be done? I know this is suppose to be a no tune needed intake but I definitely do not have an increase in performance.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
nalinc23

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6MT
Wow that is discouraging but I'm sure there is something wrong...I was sold on either that intake or the CAI one but I dont want to feel any decreases whatsoever! My last car felt a little less responsive in 2nd gear w/ an intake and I hated it but eventually got used to it.

nalinc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
SonnyakaPig

---

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 04-15-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
SonnyakaPig

Hopefully if you drive a little bit more your car will adapt to the Halltech. I hope so. I agree that the under hood temps get very hot and they stay hot. Not good, but what are you going to do.

I'm also looking at getting a new hood with heat extractors. Seems like a good idea with Summer around the corner.

Have you considered any other CAI's?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
sneakyquickSS

Very nice sonny!! Your car loves the intake and exhaust!!

I still have my hopes up that a little driving time will make an improvement. I am going to reflash my ECM tonight before going off to lala land. That way its memory will be clean when I start driving tomorrow. I will be putting over 100 miles on it tomorrow. Tomorrow night I will hopefully have the permagrin back!!!

I really cannot say anything negative about halltech. The level of service that Jim Hall has provided me is second to none. He wanted to see a picture so he could fully understand what was wrong and show is people. I told him I could cut out the required plastic but he insisted on sending a new pipe out. He even shipped it this evening! A+++++ in my book.

Until tomorrow....
Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
sneakyquickSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post

Have you considered any other CAI's?
I liked CAI and ADM for a sealed box but I am looking at a RKsport Hood. Therefore, it was between Halltech and Roto-Fab. I like the corvette backing Halltech has. With the open box and the RK hood dumping cold air straight into it I think it will be a great combination.

Every car performs differently to mods so lets hope I just need some time on the road to let everything gel together.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Ok I'm confused. In your first post you could not install it, but now you have it installed like 5 hours later, but Halltech had to send you a new part. Surely you didn't get the new part already, so if you installed it as is then it is probably not working properly and that is why you are experiencing problems.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyquickSS View Post
Roar is an understatement! This thing is LOUD! I have to say though my first impression is not good at all. This engine makes way to much heat for one thing. The intake tube is extremely hot after 10 minutes of driving. Hopefully a new hood with extractors will help this. The car feels like a v6 when the temps get above 70.

As for the intake.....After installing it I was all bark and no bite. Acceleration was worse than stock. 2nd gear is AWESOME! instant bang when you stomp the throttle. 3rd gear falls on its face. At 55 MPH I punched it and literally counted each MPH increase. It was loud but no power. The normal knock you back in the seat is gone. I am hoping that the computer will learn what to do with the better air and it will get better but after the excitement that was building from reading about everyones intakes I am a little let down right now.

I read in another forum that it was recommended to increase the MAF scales by 16% since you are getting that much more air with a 102mm tube. I have EFI live so does anyone think this should be done? I know this is suppose to be a no tune needed intake but I definitely do not have an increase in performance.
Are we talking the same Halltech Yellow Jacket intake here? If after installing you saw a decrease in power you have done something miserably wrong and the only case that has experienced such.

Do you have the carbon fiber or composite unit? The carbon fiber one requires a tune. The composite does not.

Hope you can clarify the post as I think everyone of us reading it are completely confused.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Ok I'm confused. In your first post you could not install it, but now you have it installed like 5 hours later, but Halltech had to send you a new part. Surely you didn't get the new part already, so if you installed it as is then it is probably not working properly and that is why you are experiencing problems.
+1

How in the hell do you post your first post, then less than 4hrs later, you have a new tube, have it installed, and are already driving it? Something definitely doesn't sound right here.

The regular Yellowjacket is a no tune CAI. I have yet to hear anyone that needed a tune for one. Mine was as close as the stock tube, in reference to fuel trims. I have also yet to hear anyone that has been unhappy with the performance gains from theirs.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote