Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
a new problem for everyone

It's been a wet day here. Drove to work in heavy rain, idled through some 3 or 4 inch water running across the road a couple of times. Going through the I-10 tunnel in heavy traffic at 10mph and ding ding ding. The DIC says Engine Power Reduced with a big ! The engine light and the stabilitrac light come on and the car is clearly running on 4 or 6 cylinders. Luckily don't get stuck in the tunnel and limp the last 3 or 4 miles to work. After an hour of sitting in the parking lot the stabilitrac light goes off but engine light still comes on and car running on reduced power. Another couple hours later lights are off and car runs fine. Go to dinner after work rain has let up, no probs. After dinner driving home with lite showers on highway no ding ding ding but same situation, reduced engine power! on dic, engine and stabilitrac lights on, car running at 1/2 power. An added footnote. when slowing to stop you can feel a jerk on every downshift with the shift to first the most noticeable. Tranny seems to be performing properly. (Automatic by the way)

Luckily the dealer is a friend/customer of ours and we had dinner with him tonight and he's sending a hauler and loaner in the morning. We assumed a wet sensor might be tricking the car into dropping engine power thinking that the stabilitrac isn't functioning properly. Any experience or ideas appreciated.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Its in limp mode for some reason. If it's under warranty let the dealer figure it out.

If not under warranty, disconnect battery or pull ECM fuse for 10 minutes, reconnect and see if fixed.. I had a Harley go into limp mode for no reason today, then it went away. I'm still watching it though.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
mikeinmobile

Hoping it will act up for the dealer. I've drivin through hard rain before but never had this. Thanks for the fuse pull advice.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Definitely follow up on what they find, OP. I had to drive 20 miles through semi-flooded streets highway the other day. No issues, but if water caused yours, it would be good to know.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Btmonty2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS white with IO vert
have them check the throttle, mine did that three times before they found out the cause. they thought I was making it up too. But one of the throttle cables was fried
Btmonty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
mikeinmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btmonty2 View Post
have them check the throttle, mine did that three times before they found out the cause. they thought I was making it up too. But one of the throttle cables was fried
Interesting. They just came and loaded her. After sitting overnight in the carport where she still gets wet but not poured on (it's still raining non stop here) the engine light was still on at startup but not the stabilitrac. Last night I cranked her four or five times before the engine light went off and power returned to normal. So I'm hoping the lights still on at the dealer. Power seemed restored when we loaded her even though engine light was still on as I said, so I'm perplexed. Maybe the start up mode (choke) caused it to seem normal, it's hard to tell just pulling her down the driveway and onto the hauler. I'll update whatever I learn.

Last edited by mikeinmobile; 06-09-2012 at 12:52 PM.
mikeinmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I think you're on the right track with the wet sensor idea... its happened to be in the past. Probably not a wheel sensor though, because while it will cause ABS/Stabilitrac type issues, it probably won't cause the reduced power mode. My guess would be water in one of the front O2 sensor connectors, causing bad readings and forcing the car into open loop operation. The power would also be reduced if the throttle position circuit is bad, but not as likely that water would get into that.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
mikeinmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I think you're on the right track with the wet sensor idea... its happened to be in the past. Probably not a wheel sensor though, because while it will cause ABS/Stabilitrac type issues, it probably won't cause the reduced power mode. My guess would be water in one of the front O2 sensor connectors, causing bad readings and forcing the car into open loop operation. The power would also be reduced if the throttle position circuit is bad, but not as likely that water would get into that.
Thanks again, I'm taking notes of everyones input in case the dealer can't solve the issue. This site has been beneficial and fun since day one for me. I'm all ears (or should I say eyes) friends.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Kman 2011 ss

Drives: '04vette- '11-1SS '11-1LS(wifes)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
It's been a wet day here. Drove to work in heavy rain, idled through some 3 or 4 inch water running across the road a couple of times. Going through the I-10 tunnel in heavy traffic at 10mph and ding ding ding. The DIC says Engine Power Reduced with a big ! The engine light and the stabilitrac light come on and the car is clearly running on 4 or 6 cylinders. Luckily don't get stuck in the tunnel and limp the last 3 or 4 miles to work. After an hour of sitting in the parking lot the stabilitrac light goes off but engine light still comes on and car running on reduced power. Another couple hours later lights are off and car runs fine. Go to dinner after work rain has let up, no probs. After dinner driving home with lite showers on highway no ding ding ding but same situation, reduced engine power! on dic, engine and stabilitrac lights on, car running at 1/2 power. An added footnote. when slowing to stop you can feel a jerk on every downshift with the shift to first the most noticeable. Tranny seems to be performing properly. (Automatic by the way)

Luckily the dealer is a friend/customer of ours and we had dinner with him tonight and he's sending a hauler and loaner in the morning. We assumed a wet sensor might be tricking the car into dropping engine power thinking that the stabilitrac isn't functioning properly. Any experience or ideas appreciated.
I apologize for the frustrations you are experiencing from this issue. That is great that your dealership is taking care of the situation for you. Please let us know how service goes and if everything was addressed.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Please post up whatever you find! I didn't have this problem this weekend, but I can see where it could happen. I drove through downpours all the way from New Orleans to Atlanta on Sunday coming back from the Hot Rod Power Tour. I've learned with experience to try to avoid large puddles of water, but you can't always do that on the interstate at higher speeds or with traffic. Good luck!

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It should have recorded a trouble code in the computer, even if the lights go back to normal and it starts running right the computer holds that information for at least 50 restarts. So they can tell that the trouble is real and not imaginary.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Oh crap, Mike! Hope they can figure out what's up with that. I agree it probably fried something with all that deep water. Meybe someone didn't use enough seal-grease on a fitting somewhere.
My Mazda b2600i will choke when it snows a certain kind of snow. Sounds weird, but a heavy wet snow will have the engine sputtering and spitting. No one's been able to give me a good explanation except possibly it's to do with the humidity and air pressure. Real cold dry snow, no problem. Heavy rain is not an issue at all, deep water doesn't slow it down. Wet snow chokes it out every time.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
from my understanding AND EXPERIENCE..

if you have an engine misfire.. all those symptoms will happen.

I had a plug wire with a hole in it arcing.. dry as can be and those were the symptoms.

check your wires from the coils to the plugs.. push to make sure they're clicked.. you should be good from here. my guess is the water may have splashed up to the wires and caused a miss do to a not properly seated wire.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote