Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #127
dvargo
Derek

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 1977 corvette
Send a message via AIM to dvargo
I was at a camaro show sat and noticed that my spoiler was doing the same thing and went up to dealership and showed them and im taking it in on wednesday and there going to repaint the trunk lid for me.
dvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #128
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
I showed mine to the dealer, yesterday (Davidson Chevrolet in Canton, CT... so far, they've been a great dealership!!). They agreed that the complete trunklid requires repainting. They are also concerned about a "repair" versus a true "fix"... they, like me, want to make sure that they deal with this issue once. I showed them this thread as a reference. We haven't scheduled the work, yet, but will be shortly.
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #129
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
I too am a victim now. Just checked, sure enough, passenger side is sitting right on the paint and, bazzinga, chip. How did I not notice that? Head in one hand, beer in the other, smoke in the other. Wait, that's 3 hands.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #130
JSkibisky

After speaking to my dealer about getting the decklid repainted, we agreed to work together to make sure the condition doesn't reoccur. With their okay, I've done a paint touch-up and have reinstalled the spoiler. I've used the washers as instructed by Russell James (see post #112) and added additional material over the rubber strips under the spoiler (see post #108). For that additional material (for experimentation), I've simply used 3M double-sided attachment tape (.045 in thick), but have left the backing on it so that it doesn't stick to the paint. I've ordered a roll of 3M 4508 closed-cell foam tape (1/2 inch wide and 1/8 in. thick) as a more permanent solution and will apply that in place of the attachment tape when it arrives. I reinstalled the spoiler using blue Loctite on the threads and was careful to maintain appropriate spacing... and also followed Russell James suggestion to pull the spoiler back toward the rear of the car as I tightened everything (this helps to maintain spacing at the rear of the spoiler). Service Update #09207A calls for a torque of 53 lb-in on the nuts... I used a maximum of 45 on the two inboard nuts and 40 on the outboard four... anything over this figure tended to reduce the spacing to an unacceptable level.

... we'll see what happens.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #131
YLWJKT

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I removed my stock spoilert o install my SLP one and had a 1-1/2" section on the r/h side and a 1-2" section on the left. The paint was rubbed off by the stock spoiler, down to the primer.
My spoiler attaching nuts were tight, so the issue seems to be that the spoiler is not isolated from rubbing against the trunk.

I'm having my stripes clear coated so they're repairing the trunk at the same time but this is the first big disappointment I've had with GM quality on this car.
YLWJKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #132
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Well I checked mine today,I pulled the spoiler off to get a good look.What a crummy set up.I have at least 7 chips and the 2.5 inch long area on the passenger side worn to the primer.
2 1/2 months old and 1900 miles.
Looks like my flawless Synergy Green factory paint will be no more.
I hate to have a body shop do anything ,seems like it never gets done properly.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #133
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
well i should pick up my camaro tommorrow do you all think i should pull the spoiler off and fix or have the dealer pull it off before i leave the lot passenger side looks real close if not touching
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
Well I checked mine today,I pulled the spoiler off to get a good look.What a crummy set up.I have at least 7 chips and the 2.5 inch long area on the passenger side worn to the primer.
2 1/2 months old and 1900 miles.
Looks like my flawless Synergy Green factory paint will be no more.
I hate to have a body shop do anything ,seems like it never gets done properly.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #134
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I took mine by the dealer yesterday. They don't have a body shop so I'm trying to get them to work with my body shop, the one I trust, on getting a repair done. My guy does lots of custom work and body kits and spoilers are his specialty. He said he's never seen a setup as crummy as this. We've agreed that the spoiler will be remounted with some sort of 3M tape to ensure this doesn't happen again. Fortunately, only a small chip is visible on each side of mine, so I'm going to get it touched up and the clear redone on those spots.

BTW, when I was at the dealer yesterday my son and I were looking at new cars. They had another IOM 2ss there, less than 30 miles on it, and I pointed out to the salesman that the paint under the spoiler edges was already cracking! I encourage everyone to call the Chevrolet customer service number and open up a ticket. If enough of us do this maybe they'll figure out they have a problem.

Steve
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #135
JSkibisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummit camaro View Post
well i should pick up my camaro tommorrow do you all think i should pull the spoiler off and fix or have the dealer pull it off before i leave the lot passenger side looks real close if not touching
... absolutely check the spacing (although you don't have to pull the spoiler off the car to do this.). If the edges of the spoiler are touching the paint on the decklid, you will get chipping, so it's better to deal with the issue before damage occurs. Given that you're just picking up the car, I would work with your dealer on this (personal opinion). It might be helpful to show them this thread (and other related threads) so that they realize what the problem is and why you're (rightly) concerned.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #136
CHEROB10

Drives: 2012 2LT Synergy
My body shop manager is still waiting to hear back from the GM Rep for the area. Hopefully the ball will get rolling soon!
CHEROB10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #137
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEROB10 View Post
My body shop manager is still waiting to hear back from the GM Rep for the area. Hopefully the ball will get rolling soon!
I'm waiting to here from my dealer also. I'm prepared to keep making a stink until somebody from GM does something about this!
Steve
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #138
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
does anyone know what size socket you need to remove the spoiler bolts
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #139
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummit camaro View Post
does anyone know what size socket you need to remove the spoiler bolts
10mm, and be careful not to loose the nuts inside the trunk lid
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #140
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Add another one to the list. Same problem here. I can see chips from both sides of the factory spoiler. Took the spoiler off to test fit my new NLP spoiler and saw how much paint was actually removed. Ridiculous! Come on GM. Took my car to have my front and rear fascias replaced (long story) and to have my NLP spoiler painted. The body shop owner saw it and said he just repaired another Camaro with the same problem. This guy does all the local GM dealer's warranty work and said GM covered the decklid.
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip, paint, spoiler