Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Jbow89

Drives: 2012 LS
rear tires

Now I have my p zeros and never really had any problems in snow or rain but I'm down to 3-4 32s on the rear and have like 7 on the fronts...

Can I put all seasons on the rear and not change over the fronts yet. I'd like to eventually make the full transition I just don't wanna waste the money on the fronts of they are still good. Ive heard its ok as long as the axle is the same. Just wanna make sure please dont bash me lol. Thanks guys
Jbow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
SCREAMING EAGLE

Drives: 2012 CAMARO 2SS 45TH,L99
The rears usually wear twice as fast as the fronts. I would just get 2 rear zeros and by the time they wear out all 4 will be due to change.
SCREAMING EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
It's not a good idea to have 2 diff sets of tires from 2 diff manf. diff. tires have diff. characteristics which might cause the car to sway when changing lanes. I was able to do that with my Winter tires, using the all season in front and Snows in the rear and the car handles great but if you looked at the tread pattern they were almost identical, so I took a chance and it worked out.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
My understanding has always been that its fine as long as you stay with the same tires on the same axles. I have don that lots - and I am sure most car owners over the age of 30 have. Not everyone stays with brands on the car or changes all 4 at the same time.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
There was times with the p-zeros where the rear tires had traction, but it was real tough to steer because the fronts had no grip. With the all seasons, I have no issue with traction or steering. I recommend all four. Your life is worth more than the $500 you'll save.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Jbow89

Drives: 2012 LS
Thanks guys I've never really had any traction issues but with it already in the 20s in the morning leaving for work I'd rather not put pzeros back on the rear. I just wasn't sure about the two different types of tires all season and summer.
Jbow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
Only two clear choices here.
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMING EAGLE View Post
The rears usually wear twice as fast as the fronts. I would just get 2 rear zeros and by the time they wear out all 4 will be due to change.
Or this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanian View Post
There was times with the p-zeros where the rear tires had traction, but it was real tough to steer because the fronts had no grip. With the all seasons, I have no issue with traction or steering. I recommend all four. Your life is worth more than the $500 you'll save.
All 4 all seasons is best, new rears to match the front is cheaper although maybe not as much as you might think.

All seasons on the rear only is no good.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
My understanding has always been that its fine as long as you stay with the same tires on the same axles. I have don that lots - and I am sure most car owners over the age of 30 have. Not everyone stays with brands on the car or changes all 4 at the same time.
very common to do this...I see it all the time
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
the '10 just hit 55k and it was time to change the rears again. put all season yokos on the back. stocks till on the front. drives fine.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
DRMKAR

Drives: 2012 2LT 45TH Anniv. RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
Only two clear choices here.
This:

Or this:

All 4 all seasons is best, new rears to match the front is cheaper although maybe not as much as you might think.

All seasons on the rear only is no good.
Hold up, why is it no good? Help. I'm about to get new Good Year Eagle All Season's on rear.
DRMKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMKAR View Post
Hold up, why is it no good? Help. I'm about to get new Good Year Eagle All Season's on rear.
You will get differing opinions on this til the end of time. But we are not talking mixing brands we are talking about two completely different types of tire. One way to look at it is that snow tires have been used on the rear of rear wheel drive cars forever. But now we are looking at summer only performance tires on the front and all season tires on the rear. The theory is your rear will be pushing your front end straight off the road when turning in snow, your rear will have less traction than the front in the dry, and that in general you are upsetting the balance of the car.
People say they have done it with no bad effects. I would think it depends a lot on how you drive. I personally wouldn't do it. But my car gets put away for the winter also. If it didn't I wouldn't drive in the winter on summer tires.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMKAR View Post
It is possible when mixing tires to end up with a combination that's oversteerish - the tail wants to run wide or even spin out if that combination is bad enough. Max or extreme performance summer tires up front, nothing-special all seasons in the rear, and maybe tire inflation pressures that aren't helping things can and will put you in this situation. Trust me on this.

Having the tail unexpectedly step out like it wants to come around and won't make up its mind to settle down and follow the front is something I've been through very recently (while chasing some out-of-round tire issues). The car's owner would not have had sufficient experience to deal with it.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #13
USIRON

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS & 2014 Mustang GT 5.0
DWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first set of rear P-0s wore out in the center very fast due to the hot (100+ %) temps we get here in Florida. (Had to adjust air press down to not go beyond 36 while driving) I purchased two rear DWS tires and left the P-0s on the front. BAD IDEA! The SOFT sidewall DWS was not compatable with the hard sidewall P-0 front. The car would WEAVE down the road and the tail would actually shift to the outside of a turn due to sidewall flex. Oh, by the way, they are LOUD! If you need winter tire capability and want these dont mix and match, get all 4 at the same time. Replaced them with P-0s 2 days later and the car handled correctly again. Wife chewed me out for not getting the P-0s in the first place, she was right "said GM put the P-0s on the SS for a reason". Hope this helps someone avoid what I went through.
USIRON is offline   Reply With Quote