Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Help with strut to spindle bolts

Hello all I am in the process of installing drop springs on my v6 and I'm looking for some help on how to realign the strut to spindle bolts with the scribe/mark while reinstalling the setup so i can get as close to stock as possible until i can get a good alignment. Is there a special way to realign the marks? maybe some tips?? any help is much appreciated.
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
You should have marked them off or there should be some indication as to where it was previously at...
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I agree^. However if you didn't mark anything....try to align the bolts in the center.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I assume you're talking about the front struts- at the top of the part of the spindle that slides into the strut, you'll see a threaded hole that can be used to hold a "set bolt" that will hold the strut/spindle in place (once you've got the main bolts slid in place) and allow more precise camber alignment with your scribe marks.

I've got the bolts size around here somewhere- but in the meantime do a search in the susp./brakes forum. JusticePete will tell you all about it!

Last edited by Ventmaster; 08-28-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I assume you're talking about the front struts- at the top of the part of the spindle that slides into the strut, you'll see a threaded hole that can be used to hold a "set bolt" that will hold the strut/spindle in place (once you've got the main bolts slid in place and allow more precise camber alignment with your scribe marks.

I've got the bolts size around here somewhere- but in the meantime do a search in the susp./brakes forum. JusticePete will tell you all about it!
The thread size for the ( Metric) (set bolt) that threads into in the hole in the top part of the spindle is M10 BY 1.5 thread pitch.

You will need a bolt or set screw with a minimum of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of thread length to thread through the spindle & make contact with the lower end of the strut housing.

After you have done this, take a sharpie & make a mark on the end of the bolt or set screw at the 12:00 o'clock position for reference before re-assembly, to make sure that it has not moved before tightening the two large mounting bolts in the lower strut housing.

After you have tightened the two large lower strut to spindle bolts to the CORRECT torque, MAKE SURE you remove the M10 BY 1.5 bolts from the spindle, so they do not un- thread themselves & fall out while you are driving.

I hope this helps you. PM me if you need more help.

All The Best

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Thanks everyone so much for all of the input! You all told me exactly what i needed to know.
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchevyroarin View Post
Thanks everyone so much for all of the input! You all told me exactly what i needed to know.
No problem, that is what makes this forum SO SPECIAL! PM me any time. I EAT, SLEEP, & BREATH these cars!

Attached is a photo of my pride & Joy! It is a 2010 2SS/RS with only 10,000 mi. on the clock.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote