Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012REDSS View Post

Engine:LS3
Block? ERL Modified SuperdeckI LS3
CI? - CR? 429 CI, 9.7/1 Compression ratio
Crankshaft? Callies Dragonslayer dowled main caps
Rods? Hybrid H/I beam, no longer made
Pistons? JE coated custom made
Rings? IDK
Heads? Ported LSA
Valves/Springs?
Cam? Comp cams Custom Grind
Timing Chain? C5R I think
Oil pump? Melling
Aftermarket Dampner? No
Anything else: All ARP fastners with over sized head studs....

Blower/Turbo:
Type? Precision Turbo's, PTE 76/75 .96 A/R CEA Billet wheels, ball bearing mid frame center section, "H" cover and T4 Hot side. 12 lb springs for when the controller is turned off... Tial blow off valve, and precision waste gates
Modifications (pulleys, boost controller, etc)AMS 1000 Boost controller

Fuel:
Pump? Dual Pump Lingenfelter in the bucket, running wide open all the time to fill a surge tank. The excess dumps back to tank. From there a Weldon External pump feeds the rails via a boost sense regulator so a 1/1 ratio is kept within the manifold air pressure to fuel pressure. At no boost, fuel pressure is 60 psi... at 25 lbs of boost, fuel pressure is at 85 psi. The Weldon runs at slow speed until 1 lb of boost is felt, then it ramps to high speed via a hob switch...
Injectors? 127 lb/hr
Meth? No Meth, Nitrous at 150 shot to spool the turbos faster....
etc

Exhaust:
Headers? Custom hand made stainless turbo manifolds, then exiting the turbos, we have a 3.5 inch downpipe either dumping to the ground for racing or out the back through a 3" stainless system from magnaflow... full mufflers...
Cats or No Cats? I'm allergic to them.. no cats...
Cat back? 3" magnaflow
Cut outs? Removable flange blocks for racing right off the down pipes...

What was the goals for the engine hp/tq wise? Current numbers is you have them and would like to share.
When we get it all back together, we will be well north of 1000 rwhp.... we were at roughly 1550 with spray in March at the mile when I blew up two turbos... hence going back in with the bigger turbos...

I also have a stand alone nitrous system with a 240 liter/hr walbro pump within the 1.5 gallon tank used to mix with the nitrous... I have dual 15 lb nitrous bottles in the trunk with heaters.

All this and the supporting mods allow me to cruise around with 900+rwhp on the streets.... add in C-16 racefuel and turn the boost controller on and htfo....

Supporting mods...

One off custom built TR6060 with billet gears 1st through 5th...
Nine Inch with Strange center section, and a wavetrack diff, 3.07 gears
Pedders XA supercar coilovers and all associated bushings and bars...

Someone mentioned the cost of these builds... build a budget and then at least double it and that's if nothing breaks... It was also mentioned that the cost is high... I said before I have more under the hood than most Camaro owners have on rubber... It's just the cost of running a super big build car.... I will say to be reasonable with the goals.... This is now my third motor, (factory, blown one and my new one) 6th trans before we could get one to shift... mine has an internal shift mech rather than the floating external mech that comes with the cars... 4th driveshaft, third clutch... factory, and then the first aftermarket clutch I bought sucked... turbos 7 and 8... first two lasted less than a week... mismatch on the oiling orifice fittings, the third and 4th lasted a year, and we upgraded them, then blew them up overspinning them, and my new turbos are just going in the car....

Let me finish by saying my car has been and remains a test bed.... My builder and I collaborate on every step... The recommendations are his and when it's dicey, the final decision is always mine....though occasionally he will refuse to do something... my goals exceed the build sometimes...he brings me back to earth... Every component that has failed other than the first two turbos was my call... At the Texas Mile, I made a pass, pushed some water through the head gasket, and I decided to go ahead and turn the bottle on for another pass... to set the record... We already had the new heads at the shop being ported... Well, that pass cost me a motor and heads... and still didn't set the record... again, my call...

As mentioned, if going all out, plan a budget and double or triple it... Power not on the ground is wasted... and broken cars that cant be fixed financially are tough to swallow....

My car is not built for drag racing though we do that occasionally for fun.. It's built for land speed runs.... well in excess of 200 mph....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #16
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Ok, I've cleaned up this thread for its intended purpose...

Comments and conversation are invited, but try to keep it on track, and keep in mind, even the guys with big builds have a strong sense of humor and we pick on each other mercilessly most of the time... But I know any of the guys posting in this thread so far will go out of their way to help any other member with guidance... suggestions... etc...

All of the guys that have posted in here so far have built big power cars and have managed to break something, somethings multiple times... me for example

As was mentioned by one member, these builds are no guarantee of a successful build.... It boils down to quality of mechanical build, and tuning....

The best advice I can offer is to shop around for a builder you trust and can develop a relationship with.... unless you have the honest ability to do it yourself... My builder and I are best friends... I trust him implicitly with my car.... I also have a friend that has been to multiple shops and still has a garage queen.. Be careful.... ask lots of questions, and research....

I'll attempt to keep this thread on topic, but occasionally it will drift with a sense of humor... Again, everyone that has posted in here so far will help all they can with any questions you might have, or steer you in the right direction for proper answers...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
looks like we are off to a decent start 2ss45th FINALLY posted something useful. Keep the builds comming. I know this isnt a buy these parts and it will live forever but its nice to see what combos work together.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Excellent thread now. I wish something like this was available a year ago.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Here's another engine that I have sitting disassembled, built for 750 wheel. Kind of like a nice DD blown motor, nothing too serious, but it will hold a decent amount of power.

Engine:
Block: LS3/L99
CI: 376
CR: 10.0:1
Crankshaft: Stock Nodular Crank, needs main studs to reduce flex.
Rods: K1 lightweight H Beams, ARP hardware
Pistons: Wisecos, gas ports not needed.
Rings: Wiseco Rings
Heads: LS3 4 bolt heads, ARP studs, inconel exhaust valve recommended.
Valves/Springs: PRC Dual springs
Cam: Lingenfelter GT9 cam is a great driving cam, and doesn't bleed off boost.
Timing Chain: Cloyes Hex-a-just
Oil pump: Melling High volume
Aftermarket Dampner: ATI Rib count depends on blower used. Maggie I recommend 8.
Anything else: If using a turbo, a set of the ZR1 sodium filled exhaust valves would be great.

Keeping the stock stroke makes the crank and rods less susceptible to failure. The angles that the rods are exposed to are less aggressive. Pistons do better with the 3.622 stroke as well. I wouldn't go more than 5 thou over on the cylinder walls either.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Good thread here, I'm gonna watch this closely as I ponder my engine setup. Until then we'll see how far the stock one takes me. What I wonder is I see a lot of people going 376, 408 LQ Blocks, 416, 427, etc. Would you just build a ci bigger engine for a power goal or is it optimized really for a particular setup.

For instance I'm probably sticking with my novi 1500 and I'm thinking staying stock cube with that blower is my best bet.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
2SS45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Good thread here, I'm gonna watch this closely as I ponder my engine setup. Until then we'll see how far the stock one takes me. What I wonder is I see a lot of people going 376, 408 LQ Blocks, 416, 427, etc. Would you just build a ci bigger engine for a power goal or is it optimized really for a particular setup.

For instance I'm probably sticking with my novi 1500 and I'm thinking staying stock cube with that blower is my best bet.
Yep, my 416 for instance is way too much motor for the Maggie, 376 is the sweet spot for that blower. 408 is probably the biggest a 1500 could handle.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
We have had the same discussion with my build back and forth. My plan was as well to go down the stroker route. But even with my current compression (10.3) there would not have been enough blower (maggie) to run 418ci efficiently. It can be done, some are even running their 427s with a Maggie - but imho that should be whipple or centrifigual territory.

At the end of the day I'm happy with running stock cubes rather than taking the additonal stress that go along with a stroker. Driving on the German Autobahn at 150++mph for longer periods you do want to be sure, that the engine can take it!
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyToasta View Post
We have had the same discussion with my build back and forth. My plan was as well to go down the stroker route. But even with my current compression (10.3) there would not have been enough blower (maggie) to run 418ci efficiently. It can be done, some are even running their 427s with a Maggie - but imho that should be whipple or centrifigual territory.
And here is an example, with some details on the build:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289999

My initial plan was to duplicate this build, but now I'm being inexplicably drawn to twin turbos...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Yep, my 416 for instance is way too much motor for the Maggie, 376 is the sweet spot for that blower. 408 is probably the biggest a 1500 could handle.
Gotcha. Also something I was considering is what are people doing to beef up their motor to take a shot of nitrous on top of the blower? I guess also at what point do you consider an iron block over an aluminum block. I mean for me and cost I was thinking of dropping the LSX 376 B15 as I don't think my novi can crank out anymore than the 15lbs of boost its rated for. It was making 15.3lbs maxed out on my LS3. But would it even make power with the compression vs my LS3 now.

I was leaning right now honestly to a 408 LQ9 Block. Something I can re-use my stock heads. I know your adding more weight over the nose to an already heavy car but I think its worth it for strength? I've also been contemplating selling the novi and buying the motor. Perhaps twin turbo.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
2SS45th

I didn't mind the extra weight, it ended up being like 80lbs heavier. The iron block has much thicker sleeves, so that's part of it. The main reason I have the LSX is the six bolt heads, they become necessary after that 1000 wheel mark. I'm either running a set of 63s or an F1X with a direct port shot, maybe in the 250 range. To run nitrous and a blower I would recommend that you have the pistons gas ported, it keeps the rings from collapsing and is usually only 15 to 20 bucks a piston. I can't find the picture of mine right now, but this is a great example of them:
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #26
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I didn't mind the extra weight, it ended up being like 80lbs heavier. The iron block has much thicker sleeves, so that's part of it. The main reason I have the LSX is the six bolt heads, they become necessary after that 1000 wheel mark. I'm either running a set of 63s or an F1X with a direct port shot, maybe in the 250 range. To run nitrous and a blower I would recommend that you have the pistons gas ported, it keeps the rings from collapsing and is usually only 15 to 20 bucks a piston. I can't find the picture of mine right now, but this is a great example of them:
Yeah I wouldn't mind it either, I'm not trying to set any records here just want it to live long and happy. I guess honestly what blows my mind when looking at engines are all the options. For instance on TSPs site:

http://texas-speed.com/p-588-tsp-408...ort-block.aspx

It starts talking about pistons with -15cc dish and I'm just like . Like what the hell is a reluctor wheel lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
2SS45th

You need a 58x reluctor wheel for our cars, and the -15cc dish is the piston head volume, dished (-) means that it is designed for lower compression, which is good for boosted motors. I have -32cc dished pistons in my motor for example.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
1026rwhp/861rwtq at 22#

Engine
Block: Stock LS3 Block 377 (stock stroke, 0.005 overbore)
Crank:
Rods: Callies Compstar 6.125
Pistons: Wiseco -11cc dish
Heads: PRC LS3 260 heads (2.185 hollow intake, 1.6 stainless exhaust, 65cc chambers) 10:1CR with LS9 Gaskets and ARP studs
Cam: 610/575 235/260 @050, 115+6 LSA speced by Martin at Tick Performance
Timing Chain: C5R
LS2 dampener
Melling 10296 with blue spring

Power adder
Vortech Ysi cog driven (77T Procharger crank pulley I adapted and 27T blower pulley)
BV57 Blowoff valve (LOUD)
Ported LS3 Intake
Ported LS2 TB

Fuel sytem
ID1000s
Squash Fuel pumps 400LPH (stock feed line to -8 then split to -6 just before rails. -6 return line)
Holley EFI rails

Exhaust
XSPower 2" headers, no cats, with 3" exhaust

Other
Tuned by Dave Steck (DSX Tuning) MAF, not speed density.
Alky control trunk mount kit with dual M10 nozzles. MAF referenced.
Engine and rear built by a guy no one on here has ever heard of and installed by me in my garage.

The ironic part of this was I wanted to make 1000rwhp. I sent the car off for the AGP twin turbo kit and I didn't know what it made power wise. Joe@CPR and I had spoken, emailed, and messaged and he knew what I wanted. Joe@CPR is doing the install and it made the listed numbers during their baseline pulls. He called me to tell me how shocked everyone was and how the car won him a beer. The dyno place just pulled a turbo supra off that made 1002rwhp and the guy told Joe if the camaro outdid it, he would buy Joe a beer.

Last edited by blake-b; 08-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote