Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
get a buy an ls3 take the heads off and buy the ls9 heads, and buy a magnacharger to go on top of those.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroZR1 View Post
I know as soon as I pick up my Camaro, Im not leaving it stock...So im trying to get opions here. Im getting the Auto and Im gonna swap out the 6L80 (and put it in my truck) for a 6L90. But I don't know what engine to use.

Do I use the L99 and mod and S/C that engine?
Or special order the LS3 into my automatic Camaro insted, then pretty much build the engine into a LS9 (which is way cheaper than actually getting a real LS9)?
Or just go and get a real LS9 into it from the start?

I think putting in the LS9 is my best bet, b/c i need a new engine in my '38 anyways. Then i would put the LS3 from the Camaro into my '38 as opposed to buying a LS3 or LSX for the '38.
Keep in mind, the camaro will be my daily driver. Alot of advice i get is to keep the LS3 in the Camaro and put the LS9 in the '38, but i want one hell of a daily driver (better than my '38 seeing how i only it 30min or so a month). Plus I would like my Camaro to stand out among most other gen5 Camaros, and capible of beating most of the old guys and rich kids in my area in a drag race.
There's a reason for that, its called a warranty. And while we don't know for sure, the odds are slim to nil that you would ever be able to place even a special order to get an LS3 instead of an L99 with an automatic
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There's a reason for that, its called a warranty. And while we don't know for sure, the odds are slim to nil that you would ever be able to place even a special order to get an LS3 instead of an L99 with an automatic
With GM cutting costs, special performance options will not be available. If it is available, it will be at such a cost that your purchase alone will return GM to profitability.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #18
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
bro just get the Eaton TVS R2300 super charger and a few other parts. set up the car and have a good day. I have been thinking on doing just that. But just interested how much is the LS9 to buy?
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #19
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
I think 11k is pretty low. Last I checked an LS7 was about 13k from GM. The LS9 is a pretty fancy motor so I'd expect it to be more than a crate LS7.
The LS7 is handbuilt. That's why it is more expensive.

The LS3 can handle boost better than an LS7 because the cylinder walls on the LS7 have been punched out as far as they can.

No offense, but is this project a joke? Seems a bit like it. Maybe you need to sit down and evaluate your plans for this. Even if money is no object,you still need to be honest with your goals. The LS3 is going to be awesome as far as power goes, and you can get a bundle of power alot cheaper than getting a whole new motor. As far as your '38 truck goes, you can order a much cheaper crate motor from GMPP.

Really, things like this should be thought through entirely.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
All the 4th gen SS's and WS6 had hand built engines. Each tested and signed off just like the LS7's.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #21
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
Why dont you just get the ls3 with 6spd. The L99 with AFM will probably present some tuning problems because of the AFM if you supercharge it. The LS3 already has supercharger kits available a la corvette. Buy a crate LS3 for the '38, or find one in the junkyard or ebay and save money.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #22
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroZR1 View Post
I know as soon as I pick up my Camaro, Im not leaving it stock...So im trying to get opions here. Im getting the Auto and Im gonna swap out the 6L80 (and put it in my truck) for a 6L90. But I don't know what engine to use.

Do I use the L99 and mod and S/C that engine?
Or special order the LS3 into my automatic Camaro insted, then pretty much build the engine into a LS9 (which is way cheaper than actually getting a real LS9)?
Or just go and get a real LS9 into it from the start?

I think putting in the LS9 is my best bet, b/c i need a new engine in my '38 anyways. Then i would put the LS3 from the Camaro into my '38 as opposed to buying a LS3 or LSX for the '38.
Keep in mind, the camaro will be my daily driver. Alot of advice i get is to keep the LS3 in the Camaro and put the LS9 in the '38, but i want one hell of a daily driver (better than my '38 seeing how i only it 30min or so a month). Plus I would like my Camaro to stand out among most other gen5 Camaros, and capible of beating most of the old guys and rich kids in my area in a drag race.
dude if money is not an issue the LS9 is your answer.
Caliman93230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #23
headpunter

just on a side note, the reason the ls7 is so expensive is because it has titanium valves that cost 400/valve. so $3200 just for intake valves
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #24
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Hand built also.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #25
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
just on a side note, the reason the ls7 is so expensive is because it has titanium valves that cost 400/valve. so $3200 just for intake valves
I check the prices:
intake=165.57
exhaust=38.41
TOTAL=1,631.84 in valves
But the titanium rods run 424.00 each and that totals to 3392.00 in rods alone!
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
I check the prices:
intake=165.57
exhaust=38.41
TOTAL=1,631.84 in valves
But the titanium rods run 424.00 each and that totals to 3392.00 in rods alone!
my bad i thought it was valves not rods....lol ooops....same indifference though i guess