Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
rtcage

Drives: 2010 2SSRS RJT
Mods for longevity

I plan to keep my new Camaro for a long time. As far as I am concerned it will stay in the family for a while. Its a weekend driver so it will see no more than 5,000 miles per year of action.

I'd like to do some mods and budget isn't an issue. I am more concerned with mods that are not going to impact the durability or reliability of the motor. I am reading up on pipes, headers, CAI, superchargers, cams, etc.

Can anyone tell me which mods will/wont impact the longevity of the motor? Also, which aftermarket brands are best know for quality and reliability?
rtcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
As far as headers...I fully trust the ARH and SLP systems. I have sold both, and they are a quality product.

You could also do a CAI such as the Roto-Fab, and then tune the car. You wouwld realize around 50HP and it would still drive like stock, and run as long.

The other option I would consider would be a supercharger package such as procharger or vortech. They are easier on an engine than the roots style like the Magnacharger. Yes they will decrease longevity of your engine.....but we are talking about getting 75k miles instead of 100k...not like it will blow out next weekend or anything like that. You would also end up gaining well over 120Hp or so.

That si my opinion...I am sure you will get responses from plenty of others also. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions, or need to check prices on anything. I am always happy to help.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcage View Post
I plan to keep my new Camaro for a long time. As far as I am concerned it will stay in the family for a while. Its a weekend driver so it will see no more than 5,000 miles per year of action.

I'd like to do some mods and budget isn't an issue. I am more concerned with mods that are not going to impact the durability or reliability of the motor. I am reading up on pipes, headers, CAI, superchargers, cams, etc.

Can anyone tell me which mods will/wont impact the longevity of the motor? Also, which aftermarket brands are best know for quality and reliability?
You're in California like me so we don't have the freedom to do some of the things those who live in America do We can't legally do long tube headers here for example.

I'm going to be starting a journal thread next week after I get my wheels on the car and I'll be outlining a series of mods that essentially leave the engine alone other than CAI and catback exhaust. The mods I'm doing will increase performance by making other parts of the car lighter and more efficient while maintaining the beauty, elegance and drivability.

The thread title will be "Blue Angel".

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
rtcage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You're in California like me so we don't have the freedom to do some of the things those who live in America do We can't legally do long tube headers here for example.

I'm going to be starting a journal thread next week after I get my wheels on the car and I'll be outlining a series of mods that essentially leave the engine alone other than CAI and catback exhaust. The mods I'm doing will increase performance by making other parts of the car lighter and more efficient while maintaining the beauty, elegance and drivability.

Looking forward to it!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
rtcage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

By the way, the Cali issues - is it just an issue of passing smog, or are they explicitly illegal? Are you aware of a source for what can/can't be done here?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Illegal. Can't do anything that moves or changes the catalytic converters. You can't even replace the factory ones with different cats.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote