Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
T! E! X! A! S!

Drives: No car
Camaro as a first car

I am 15 i have been saving up for a car since i was 5. I opened up a slushie company by my grocery store so I got a hardship to drive to my job. I make decent grades and play many sports. My parents said that they will pay for my insurance we have USAA does anyone have any idea how much the insurance will be. I grew up around fast cars so I can handle this car. And I am going to listed as a secondary driver becuase my dad loves fast cars. when he was my age he got a 67 427 hp ss camaro so he is happy that i am getting this car. But he is also scared becuase he used to always race in all of his 450 hp plus cars. So he thinks that i am going to do the same. I have to convince him otherwise. So could anyone give me some help. Also what would the tax and title cost be. And does tap shift act like paddle shifters..one more thing my friend got an STI for his first car how would mine do against his? Thanks
T! E! X! A! S! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
T! E! X! A! S!

Sorry for the Bad grammer.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Well something I learned the hard way, even if you can handle the car, it cannot always handle you. High speed blowouts around turns suck when you have had your camaro less than a week... I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T! E! X! A! S! View Post
I am 15 i have been saving up for a car since i was 5. I opened up a slushie company by my grocery store so I got a hardship to drive to my job. I make decent grades and play many sports. My parents said that they will pay for my insurance we have USAA does anyone have any idea how much the insurance will be. I grew up around fast cars so I can handle this car. And I am going to listed as a secondary driver becuase my dad loves fast cars. when he was my age he got a 67 427 hp ss camaro so he is happy that i am getting this car. But he is also scared becuase he used to always race in all of his 450 hp plus cars. So he thinks that i am going to do the same. I have to convince him otherwise. So could anyone give me some help. Also what would the tax and title cost be. And does tap shift act like paddle shifters..one more thing my friend got an STI for his first car how would mine do against his? Thanks
You may be able to handle the car but can you be responsible with it? Times have changed since your dad was a kid and at your age, the last thing you want is a bad driving record.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
T! E! X! A! S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger View Post
Well something I learned the hard way, even if you can handle the car, it cannot always handle you. High speed blowouts around turns suck when you have had your camaro less than a week... I know.
Haha, Im not gonna push my car that hard yet... One more thing. My sister has a 2008 jeep laredo I dont know the exact model,but its a v8. how would the ls compare to the jeeps speed...Yes I am very responsible I am more mature than most adults.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
For tax take your states sales tax and multiply that to the total for the trim and options you are wanting. Depending on the options and your sales tax, tax will range but shouldn't go over 4 grand.

Tag and title varies by state so you may have to call or visit your local DMV but both shouldn't run more then $200-$300 total.

If insurance will be in your parents name, then it shouldn't run you no more then $200-$250 a month. For a rough estimate get a quote on a '09 Mustang GT. The Camaro should be no more than $50-$75 more a month.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
T! E! X! A! S!

I am just going to get the lowest trim, Its gonna be manual
Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
I am just going to get the lowest trim, Its gonna be manual
The LS with no options and 7% sales tax brings the total to $25,108.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Haha, Im not gonna push my car that hard yet... One more thing. My sister has a 2008 jeep laredo I dont know the exact model,but its a v8. how would the ls compare to the jeeps speed...Yes I am very responsible I am more mature than most adults.
Again, I was not pushing it hard. It was just a 50mph slight turn (about 5 over speed limit) then I had a blowout and went sideways.

And as for comparing it to a jeep... Not gonna happen. I drive tacoma as well as my camaro, and the body roll keeps you from doing crazy things (mentally, not car design...). You are afraid to take turns too fast, etc. ESPECIALLY coming from a truck, you feel like your car can do almost anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

If insurance will be in your parents name, then it shouldn't run you no more then $200-$250 a month. For a rough estimate get a quote on a '09 Mustang GT. The Camaro should be no more than $50-$75 more a month.

I agree... 200-250 sounds right but Def. check out a Mustang GT - it's a really close comparison to V6 Camaro.

I can't emphasize this enough - I REALLY don't recommend you getting a Camaro for your first car. Maybe you can handle it but it's a lot of hp, especially for a 15 year old, again, no offense. I'll be 21 by the time I get my SS - my first car when I was 17 was a 95 Camaro Z28 that dynoed at 278hp and that was more than enough. I also knew I would Never race my camaro...until 3 months later. You start going a little faster, a little faster, pretty soon you're going over 140mph. If you get peer pressured by friends this car could be your death trap.

Another thing to consider (this is between you and your parents) - what will happen if you do get a ticket? Are they still going to pay for your insurance? My first car only had 278hp and for full coverage I would have had to pay $200/month - that's being 17 and having no traffic violations. Now, for full coverage on the same car I would have to pay $420/month for full coverage becuase of violations.

$25-30K for the Camaro depending on options (rough estimate)
$2500/year minimum insurance
Gas
Repairs - any accidents you get in
Traffic violations - they get expensive

Again no offense, but I would wait until you're at least 18 - if you really want a camaro try and get a used 4th generation V6 that has around 225hp.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
T! E! X! A! S!

im going to get the 300 hp v6. I agree 425 is wayyyy to much for me.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
Sounds reasonable - If you are getting Camaro SS I would look up 2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 - it has 425hp which is really close to camaro.
HP isn't the only thing they take into account when doing estimates, MSRP of the car and costs of repair also come into account. The SRT8 costs a lot more then the SS and costs a lot more to repair so the insurance for the SRT8 will be more then the SS.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
T! E! X! A! S!

I just checked my quote on progressive.3541.50 per six months thats if i am secondary driver 4500 if i am primary driver. I am trying to convince my mom to only list her on the insurance so then it will be 2000 a year.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
I just checked my quote on progressive.3541.50 per six months thats if i am secondary driver 4500 if i am primary driver.
That's crazy money!