Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #155
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Thats cool and all, but the lack of power is still there. And if they are getting those kinda numbers, I'd like to see what the V6 Camaros are getting after a proper break in, I'm sure it would be higher than those (it would make sense at least, but who knows).

I never said that I don't care about the interior of the car. I said its a muscle car, therefore I don't expect the interior to be extravagant. And I have sat in the (1LT and 2LT) Camaro and it IS plenty comfortable. And I've already stated in quite a few other threads that I like the Camaro interior because it is very unique from all the other cars out there. And I never said anything about driving the 2010, I said the back end is ugly (imo) because it bubbles out. If they'd kept it fairly straight back there, it would look pretty good. And the OTHER reason I love the Camaro so much is because it is a more technologically advanced machine than the 2010 Mustang. DI, independent rear suspension, etc. Those are just facts, and I am not trying to burn you on your choice of car. I appreciate anything that is American, trust me
I think the GM V6 is great, no argument with me on that. But "lack of power" is very subjective. The question has to be "how much power do you need"?. Remember the GT is lighter in weight also.

If I had selected Camaro, I would have gone with the V6. But for the same price I went for the GT with the 8 cylinder. And I can tell you it sounds a LOT sweeter than the LT1 that I drove. So it's the same amount of power in a lighter car.

It's purely visual, but when you open the hood, the GT says "ENGINE" and the Camaro says "UGLY BLACK PLASTIC THINGIE". Must have been designed by the interior guys. Unfortunately if you take off the plastic shield, then it just screams "BIG MESS OF HOSES AND WIRES".

You sat in the Camaro, but you owe it to yourself to drive one. (mustang as well) At the risk of repeating myself... I rented one to find out how it was. And I drove two GT's as well. 30K+ Is too much to spend without the proper research.

Yes, it sure is unique, I'll give you that The part about the back of the Mustang being ugly is purely opinion. I actually like that it isn't flat, and I also like that it is somewhat unique compared to the rest of the Mustangs on the road.

More technologically advanced....Let's list out some items and see if the facts bear out your statement.

DI:
Camaro-yes Ford-no

IRS:
Camaro-yes Ford-no

Stability control:
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Nav system
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Voice activated system
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Ipod connections
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Window indexing
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

HID headlamps
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Rear view backup camera
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Tire pressure monitor
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Ok I'm not seeing any big differences here. The only fact I would give is that the powertrain is a bit more advanced.

Don't get me wrong, I like both cars. I did a lot of research to find what suits me best.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #156
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thats cool and all, but the lack of power is still there. And if they are getting those kinda numbers, I'd like to see what the V6 Camaros are getting after a proper break in, I'm sure it would be higher than those (it would make sense at least, but who knows).

I never said that I don't care about the interior of the car. I said its a muscle car, therefore I don't expect the interior to be extravagant. And I have sat in the (1LT and 2LT) Camaro and it IS plenty comfortable. And I've already stated in quite a few other threads that I like the Camaro interior because it is very unique from all the other cars out there. And I never said anything about driving the 2010, I said the back end is ugly (imo) because it bubbles out. If they'd kept it fairly straight back there, it would look pretty good. And the OTHER reason I love the Camaro so much is because it is a more technologically advanced machine than the 2010 Mustang. DI, independent rear suspension, etc. Those are just facts, and I am not trying to burn you on your choice of car. I appreciate anything that is American, trust me
As far as technological advancments the 2010 camaro doesn't have touch screen navigation and a dvd player, thats pretty techie i would say. as much as the IRS is advanced the mustang does hold it's own on the track for what it is, just giving props where they are due as i think anyone should.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #157
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Ok, you guys bring up good points, I will concede that its really up to personal taste and both cars are equally awesome. As for test driving the mustang... if my Camaro weren't arriving next week (possibly) I would be interested, but my mind is kinda set on only one thing till it gets here lol (which does NOT help the wait!!)
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #158
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Well, there is one other thing you guys are leaving out in this comparison. The Mustang is a known quantity and the Camaro is not.

With the same basic chassis having been in production/on the road since 2005, any defects or issues (quality control or mechanical) have likely been engineered out of the Mustang.

The Camaro is just now hitting the roads and we, the consumer, really don't know much about the short or longterm items that are going to be an issue. Some of those issues have already reared their ugly head, albeit is a relatively small number of cases, but they are occuring.

If you are someone who can get past the brand-loyalty issues that abound in the marketplace, this kind of information might play heavily into which car you spend your hard earned cash for.

Personally, I think both are equally impressive offerings.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #159
Teleplayer

Quote:
Ok, you guys bring up good points, I will concede that its really up to personal taste and both cars are equally awesome. As for test driving the mustang... if my Camaro weren't arriving next week (possibly) I would be interested, but my mind is kinda set on only one thing till it gets here lol (which does NOT help the wait!!)
It's not too late to come over to the dark side.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #160
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
It's not too late to come over to the dark side.
Noooo! Must... resist!!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #161
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
rofl @ a 38,000 dollar GT.

Used C6 Z06's can be had for that!
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #162
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
rofl @ a 38,000 dollar GT.

Used C6 Z06's can be had for that!
What state and what year ? Because I sure have not seen a Z06 go for that. Also where have you seen a 38k GT ?

Do people come here and just pull numbers out of the air to make their point of view seem correct ? FMV for mustangs been done. So if a dealer is telling you 38k, then I hope you laughed heartily, and walked out the door.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #163
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
What state and what year ? Because I sure have not seen a Z06 go for that. Also where have you seen a 38k GT ?

Do people come here and just pull numbers out of the air to make their point of view seem correct ? FMV for mustangs been done. So if a dealer is telling you 38k, then I hope you laughed heartily, and walked out the door.
the original poster, the guy that was choosing the mustang over the camaro, said $38,xxx for a loaded mustang. i doubt he would inflate the price as he is trying to defend his choosing. mustangs get pricey when u actually get options on them(leather, nav, etc.).

i think the gt's start at 27kish but that is for a very BASIC mustang. i tried building a 2010 mustang as well and came to about the same number as the op. granted it was a loaded '10 mustang, i still would prefer getting an 05-09 before the '10 just bcuz the styling on the '10, to me, is a full step back and down compared to the previous model
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #164
Ninjak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
the original poster, the guy that was choosing the mustang over the camaro, said $38,xxx for a loaded mustang. i doubt he would inflate the price as he is trying to defend his choosing. mustangs get pricey when u actually get options on them(leather, nav, etc.).

i think the gt's start at 27kish but that is for a very BASIC mustang. i tried building a 2010 mustang as well and came to about the same number as the op. granted it was a loaded '10 mustang, i still would prefer getting an 05-09 before the '10 just bcuz the styling on the '10, to me, is a full step back and down compared to the previous model
@38k you must have click on every option known to mankind..

I guess...I have just never seen one that high...In truth a Base GT is still the same car, meh leather seats ect is not there, but you can get everything else. Wow I guess I need to price out a new stang. I must be behind the times. 38k ?? Wow. I still cannot digest that...
Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #165
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
i agree the op must have clicked everything possible, but personally i ended up around 36k and that was with gt premium, manual trans, 3.73 gears, HID lights, comfort package, and electronics package...i added the last two options bcuz a lot of ppl who choose the mustang bring those up in their comparison as the camaro doesnt offer them, so i figured it only fair that the price be compared with them added. also none of the appearance pieces were put on as they are one's personal taste whether or not they want them on but that would only increase the price further(some of the pieces actually make the car a little more driveable looks wise for me).
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #166
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
The 2010 Mustang GT follows Ford's plan to keep the base price low and let buyers pick their options at a premium. The Camaro follows what Chevy/GM seem to like and that is price vehicles based on their packages. Hense LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS. It's a different pricing model and despite the base GT's prce advantage over a 1SS once buyers opt for what really are essentials on the Mustang the price evens quickly.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #167
Teleplayer

I agree that the two cars have about the same MSRP for the same options, within reason. The difference is that dealers want MSRP+ for Camaro, but you can get a rebate on Mustang.

BTW one other thing I like about the GT is that there is no penalty for choosing the automatic, same engine & exhaust as the manual. You just can't get the track packs or different axle ratios. (don't ask me why)

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #168
Ninjak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
BTW one other thing I like about the GT is that there is no penalty for choosing the automatic, same engine & exhaust as the manual. You just can't get the track packs or different axle ratios. (don't ask me why)
Would probably need a different stall converter with those options which would bump the price out more. So, no option.