Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
thirdgenbum
Mullet-mobile driver

Drives: turdgen k-maro
that's just it. they're all the same. buy the one you like the best, or fits your budget the best. don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, lol. it's just not that serious. there is no HP to be gained with one of these cans btw. it's merely to keep your currently clean running engine, running clean. a proper baffle under the fresh air intake side of the pcv system would make this catch can basically irrelevant.

370"lsx/t56 thirdgen....11.24@125 with tons of work left to do!
"Like" MotorManiaTV on Facebook!
thirdgenbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Appreciate the info..................... but where the he!! did I meet you?
Close, very close...no more hints other than the pictures...

Leaning towards Elite...

USA #1
PS 103
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
OK, enough reading...just ordered the Elite can from JDP Motorsports (Elite Oil Catch Can for the V6), on sale for $155 plus free shipping. Went with black. Looking forward to getting it on before the car even hits 2K miles.

USA #1
PS 103
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler View Post
Close, very close...no more hints other than the pictures...

Leaning towards Elite...

OMG.............. I know who the he!! you are!!!!!! That's not fair......... I've been "here" forever!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Going to wait to see what we find out at GM Nationals......... hopefully, we can just buy the "thing" there......... and be done.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I have the Elite on a 2010 LS3, & Rx on 2011 1 ss/rs L99. Bought them both from JDP motorsports. To me these 2 are the top of the line. You have such a great looking car. I would get 1 powder coated color of car,W/braided lines. If you want 2 see it mounted & lines check my build.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler View Post
OK, enough reading...just ordered the Elite can from JDP Motorsports (Elite Oil Catch Can for the V6), on sale for $155 plus free shipping. Went with black. Looking forward to getting it on before the car even hits 2K miles.
Hey, thanks for the order! Please let me know if you have any questions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
I have the Elite on a 2010 LS3, & Rx on 2011 1 ss/rs L99. Bought them both from JDP motorsports. To me these 2 are the top of the line. You have such a great looking car. I would get 1 powder coated color of car,W/braided lines. If you want 2 see it mounted & lines check my build.
I appreciate your business and support!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Thanks........... that was my point. Wanted great looking under the "hood" but so many say about the Elite being easy to empty. Since you have both how hard is it to empty the RX. Also, with the RX/Elite can you get show mounting hardware????? I've waited this long I want the right one!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbum View Post
that's just it. they're all the same. buy the one you like the best, or fits your budget the best. don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, lol. it's just not that serious. there is no HP to be gained with one of these cans btw. it's merely to keep your currently clean running engine, running clean. a proper baffle under the fresh air intake side of the pcv system would make this catch can basically irrelevant.
Any oil ingestion will cause detonation which the PCM will pull timing so power is lost there....so yes, the avg can will not result in more power, but one that traps all the oil makes a big enough difference to result in an avg of 1-3 MPG (small truck/van fleets buy these just to save fuel....not to extend engine life).

Also, you only want fuel and air in the combustion chamber.....oil does not burn well. In fact it wont burn at all unless heated to a high temp and or pressure, and then it is a very incomplete burn resulting in less energy released per explosive event (combustion) so that equates to less power and poor fuel economy.

When tuning a big boost engine we can make 20-30 more RWHP stopping the oil ingestion with the right can (99% are not worth using). On a NA car it may be 3-4 rwhp, but it hurts all the way around if your getting any engine oil ingestion via the intake air charge.

Read this page and look at all the pictures of the cans dissected, the test results for each, and why they do or don't http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+needed&page=3

work well/

Saying all are alike is like comparing a Kia to a Ferarri.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
thirdgenbum
Mullet-mobile driver

Drives: turdgen k-maro
catch can installation resulted in 3mpg gain? i'd like to see this data please. my opinion on it so far is an overpriced gimic marketed to unknowledgable sheeple. i believe there is benefit to it, but $180 (normal price) is a little outrageous. i could buy a lot of seafoam and build a pretty extravagant baffle for that.

370"lsx/t56 thirdgen....11.24@125 with tons of work left to do!
"Like" MotorManiaTV on Facebook!

Last edited by thirdgenbum; 06-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
thirdgenbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
spike III build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Thanks........... that was my point. Wanted great looking under the "hood" but so many say about the Elite being easy to empty. Since you have both how hard is it to empty the RX. Also, with the RX/Elite can you get show mounting hardware????? I've waited this long I want the right one!!!!
2 your answer yes. Like I said I'm not trying 2 get you just 2 look at my build. But with my set up You can see exactly how it looks. Pics. before & after installed.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
This is by FAR the best looking. It's not specifically made for our cars, but it doesn't matter. Just get the right fittings for it. You'd want a 1/2" NPT to -6AN adapter if you want to use AN fittings, which would be the nicest. You can also take the top off, but it's just a bit more involved than the RX. This is the one I've been planning to do but haven't yet.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Ulti...NPT_p_466.html
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
SC2150
Account Suspended

Here is a link to a study by the University of Maine's Engineering department:
http://umaine.edu/met/capstone-proje...arator-team-2/

And a ton of other examples. When ever you are stopping the oil ingestion, the engine does not experience the detonation caused by it, and the ECU/PCM will keep the timing advance at optimum running more efficiently. It is impossible if driven the same not to.

Just ask anyone with a SS that has run 87 octaine in it and the detonation has caused the PCM to default to the low octaine tables. app 4-5% less power and fuel economy.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbum View Post
catch can installation resulted in 3mpg gain? i'd like to see this data please. my opinion on it so far is an overpriced gimic marketed to unknowledgable sheeple. i believe there is benefit to it, but $180 (normal price) is a little outrageous. i could buy a lot of seafoam and build a pretty extravagant baffle for that.
Can you explain in detail how in the combustion process it would not? Just go into the start to finish of the fuel/air mixture and what takes place in the combustion chamber...then how adding a contaminant that does not burn well would have no effect on both power and efficiency.

Were all ears....(and your degrees, experience, and qualifications that would support this explanation).