Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Question PFADT End links question

I've had PFADT Sways & end links for a while now and I've always had a little bit of suspension noise. A pop / rattle sound when going over bumps.

One of my buddys who is a mechanic and also has a 5th gen with Pedders suspension checked it out. The part of the end links that connect to the lower control arm have a stud and you cannot tighten them all the way. Apparently the Pedders end links are not like this.

Any PFADT people having any sound issues?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I've got the Pfadt sways and end links and mine make that same sound. I kept thinking something was loose back there but everything looks tight when I check. Hmmm...I wonder if this is the way they're designed to work or if this is an issue?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I've got the Pfadt sways and end links and mine make that same sound. I kept thinking something was loose back there but everything looks tight when I check. Hmmm...I wonder if this is the way they're designed to work or if this is an issue?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Why would you not be able to tighten them all the way? I have them and zero noise whatsoever. I used loctite and cranked the crap out of them.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Why would you not be able to tighten them all the way? I have them and zero noise whatsoever. I used loctite and cranked the crap out of them.
Crank the crap aka (CTC) technically very similar to SFT (Super F'n Tight)
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Tightened them as tight as it would go but then it starts spinning within itself. Like Doc, I thought that maybe this was just normal (the sound) but PFADT told me that I shouldn't have any increased noise. I've looked at it twice, had Matt (when he was at RX) look at it and then lastly my buddy with Pedders suspension looked at it and he's the one that told me his Pedders end links are not like this and he is able to tighten his much more than the PFADT end links I have on my car.

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 05-28-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Synner

You can get a wrench on the stud right behind the flange, there's a nut built into the stud. Wrench on that, then crank on the nut that goes on the stud. Noise be gone.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Synner

Look at the pic
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...et-Rev-3.2.pdf
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Synner

And no offense but I can't fathom how a pfadt dealer wouldn't know something like that.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Tightened them as tight as it would go but then it starts spinning within itself. Like Doc, I thought that maybe this was just normal (the sound) but PFADT told me that I shouldn't have any increased noise. I've looked at it twice, had Matt at FSP look at it and then lastly my buddy with Pedders suspension looked at it and he's the one that told me his Pedders end links are not like this and he is able to tighten his much more than the PFADT end links I have on my car.
Correction, we had looked at them at another shop that I had previously worked at because they were loose when you had come in along with numerous other items in the suspension. And yes when tightening use the nut to hold the stud and then tighten the nut properly. No reason to "crank the crap" out of them. Use proper torque specifications, tightening sequence, then you know that your bolts are properly torqued.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
You can get a wrench on the stud right behind the flange, there's a nut built into the stud. Wrench on that, then crank on the nut that goes on the stud. Noise be gone.
This is exactly why we designed that into the stud, thank you for bringing this up!

There is no reason why anything should be spinning when you tighten the stud.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Correction, we had looked at them at another shop that I had previously worked at because they were loose when you had come in along with numerous other items in the suspension. And yes when tightening use the nut to hold the stud and then tighten the nut properly. No reason to "crank the crap" out of them. Use proper torque specifications, tightening sequence, then you know that your bolts are properly torqued.
Thanks for jumping in Matt.

Florida Speed and Power is a top-notch dealer of Pfadt products and we consider them an extension of Pfadt in terms of expertise in our products.

If anybody needs to get something diagnosed in terms of install, handling balance, or something just isn't right, I would absolutely recommend taking your Camaro over to FSP.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
My apologies it was RX that looked at it, this was prior to matt being at FSP. My point being is on three separate occasions it has come loose. Maybe it isn't being tightened enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
This is exactly why we designed that into the stud, thank you for bringing this up!

There is no reason why anything should be spinning when you tighten the stud.
Admittedly it has been a while since I have personally tightened it and I forgot that there is the nut behind the flange. It is just things people have pointed out when checking out my car, and it seems they didn't realize the nut was behind the flange. I'm going to assume that the others that have looked at it just were not familiar with the design and over saw that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 05-28-2013 at 02:28 PM.