Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
New question on paint damage

Curious to know who has paint damage from natural causes like Bird droppings, Tree sap, Leaf stains, etc. Also interested if any particular paint color seems to get damaged worse. For example: My CRT has several spots that have been etched by bird poop. The only thing that makes it better is wet-sanding. I haven't gotten fed up enough to get them all fixed yet as I don't have a covered place to park. I AM thinking about getting a Urethane clear-coat, although I haven't looked into compatability yet. Not looking forward to spending $1000 or more to have it done right.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
Curious to know who has paint damage from natural causes like Bird droppings, Tree sap, Leaf stains, etc. Also interested if any particular paint color seems to get damaged worse. For example: My CRT has several spots that have been etched by bird poop. The only thing that makes it better is wet-sanding. I haven't gotten fed up enough to get them all fixed yet as I don't have a covered place to park. I AM thinking about getting a Urethane clear-coat, although I haven't looked into compatability yet. Not looking forward to spending $1000 or more to have it done right.

Thats in the clear coat, the color isnt going to matter in this case, though it might make certain things more noticeable. I know CRT clear is tinted, but its still the same quality clear.

Ive had bird poop etch my clear, but you just have to be dilligent with cleaning, my old 98 camaro did the same thing before the modern painting procedures, and when I had it professionally repainted the clear did the same thing.

Clear coat is just vulnerable to acids in organic matter, that combined with the sun beating it into the clear coat is hard to protect from. A good wax, frequent (careful, two bucket) washes will certainly help. And getting the paint corrected/polished/compounded or doing it yourself every couple of years is what it takes to keep it looking new, especially if it is a daily driver without a garage.

IMO, its not worth it to get a repaint on a brand new car.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Thats in the clear coat, the color isnt going to matter in this case, though it might make certain things more noticeable. I know CRT clear is tinted, but its still the same quality clear.

Ive had bird poop etch my clear, but you just have to be dilligent with cleaning, my old 98 camaro did the same thing before the modern painting procedures, and when I had it professionally repainted the clear did the same thing.

Clear coat is just vulnerable to acids in organic matter, that combined with the sun beating it into the clear coat is hard to protect from. A good wax, frequent (careful, two bucket) washes will certainly help. And getting the paint corrected/polished/compounded or doing it yourself every couple of years is what it takes to keep it looking new, especially if it is a daily driver without a garage.

IMO, its not worth it to get a repaint on a brand new car.
Actually the etchings from the bird poop don't have anything to do with the acidity of it. It comes from the clear coat heating up in the sun and expanding, and then cooling down around fresh bird droppings on your car, leaving an etched surface of clear coat. If you get the bird poop off quickly enough, you can prevent this, but usually overnight, it has already created somewhat of an etching. It may not be visible to the eye, since most clear coats are so thin, but its probably there...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
woah hold on! Alachua, Florida! Where at? You're like 20 minutes away

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
ihaveacamaro: PM sent.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird poop, clear coat, paint, paint damage, tintcoat