Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
superchargedman

Drives: RSX typeS
Evo vs. SS

Is anyone also considering the Evo? If you've driven both, please comment! I'm torn, as it seems as though the SS is a big axe, while the Evo is a scalpel. Do I go for raw power or great handling?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Buy American. It's better, and your money goes back to North American companies that invest heavily in the US and Canada instead of companies that invest heavily in Japan, Korea, or Europe. You'll get a better looking, more storied car that contributes to a heritage that we share here instead of an invading, globalized force that sucks our economy dry.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 05-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
superchargedman

Yeah, I am somewhat affected by the whole homeland loyalty, as Oshawa is in Canada, but the major factor in my mind is the driving experience. So, if anyone has any insight, please chyme out.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Is anyone also considering the Evo? If you've driven both, please comment! I'm torn, as it seems as though the SS is a big axe, while the Evo is a scalpel. Do I go for raw power or great handling?
Haven't driven an EVO but it sure as heck looks good! EVO is less $$$??? I think?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
superchargedman

Well, I'm in Canada, and they're actually more expensive here. But, I'd be picking up a friend's Evo, so it would be cheaper.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
gsrtroy

Drives: 2002 jeep liberty
im in the same boat the evo x is a good car and with just bolt-ons can run in the 10's, but it is very sophisticated machine and the awd is real good on the car. I've been following the development of the evo since they released it (the evo x) i haven't driven one yet but i have driven the older versions, so if you want to know more just ask.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
sandrr

Drives: rsss on order lotsa other cars
l drove an evo and liked it agreed to purchase it and the dealer tried to low ball me for 3000 bucks l told him thanks anyway. 2ss/rs hopefully not too far away.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrtroy View Post
im in the same boat the evo x is a good car and with just bolt-ons can run in the 10's, but it is very sophisticated machine and the awd is real good on the car. I've been following the development of the evo since they released it (the evo x) i haven't driven one yet but i have driven the older versions, so if you want to know more just ask.
My buddy has an insane one! He got about 30K into it though! A few mods for 10's? I don't think so....he's broken multiple trannies figuring out what works and doesn't. It makes a good 500rwhp and I think he has touched the 10's. They are kickass cars, but a different animal altogether and dollar for dollar, I think an SS would be faster.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
I know some people are gonna give you S#$t about this question. Anyway, ricer or not, the EVO is a very fast car. like someone said above a few bolt on and a reflash and you can kill. Having said that it all comes down rice or no rice and what you think looks better. Right now I have an 09 Lancer GTS that I am selling for the 1SS--so yes I am a convert.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
hellraiser

Drives: benz
problem with the evo they dont hold there value like the sti..if your going to go rice go sti. friend of has a 10sec 1/4 mile on his sti..lots of mods..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
superchargedman

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really don't care too much about image. They both look good to me, but I want something that is going to give me great straight line and twisties performance. I think they both have potential to achieve this, but I'm still torn. You could upgrade the suspension on the SS, but I have a feeling it will still feel big and a bit clumsy when the road bends. You could upgrade the Evo easily to put out more power, but that big V8 can never be rivaled for 1/4 mile killing. I've ridden in the Evo a bunch of times, but I think I really need to drive both to get a feel for which will give me the biggest smile.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
My buddy has an insane one! He got about 30K into it though! A few mods for 10's? I don't think so....he's broken multiple trannies figuring out what works and doesn't. It makes a good 500rwhp and I think he has touched the 10's. They are kickass cars, but a different animal altogether and dollar for dollar, I think an SS would be faster.

See my info...

Selling the Evo for another Camaro. But you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by Evotion; 05-03-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
gsrtroy

Drives: 2002 jeep liberty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
here's carrito.nets evo x modified stock turbo no eternal engine mods.

this run they did a 10.9, but i think there best is a 10.7

i loved the evo until i seen the ss and fell in love with it, i too am going to test drive them both, but i think i prefer the ss.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Put the cars side by side and it's a joke to even compare. But it is kind of fun to watch the EVO & WRX constantly one-upping each other for the title of world's ugliest performance car, even now that the BMW 1-series has stolen the crown.

Closed Thread