Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
My first full detail experience.

So I washed the car down last night. And today I clayed then waxed.

It was alot of work, I have not gone through this much care for a car since the 80s.
well I taped off all the black plastic and rubber, and realized that spending that little bit of extra time ended up saving me cleaning the residue later.

I also taped off the matte gray stripes but waxed the red gloss stripe.

I found that claying can be a real pain. I nead to learn "Clay Control" as I kept flicking the clay on the ground. Luckily I broke the bar down into smaller pieces, but I still used almost an entire bar.
I also used a entire bottle of detail spray. I am sure I will get a little better each time, at least I hope I do (this stuff is expensive)

The results I think were worth it

End result

GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
I found that claying can be a real pain. I nead to learn "Clay Control" as I kept flicking the clay on the ground.
You dropped the clay bar on the ground and reused it?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
No I cut it into about 10 pieces.
The first 3 pieces slipped from my hand one right after the other.
That 1st rear quarter panel was a b!tch.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
You can continue to re-use the clay bar by folding it in upon itself and flattening it back out. If you use a clay bar and end up throwing it away by the time you're done with the entire vehicle you are wasting money. Car looks great btw!!
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
You can continue to re-use the clay bar by folding it in upon itself and flattening it back out. If you use a clay bar and end up throwing it away by the time you're done with the entire vehicle you are wasting money. Car looks great btw!!
Not if you drop it. If you drop a clay bar, there is no five second rule. You throw it in the garbage, end of story.

One of the major reasons I stopped using clay. It's really the way of the past these days.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Not if you drop it. If you drop a clay bar, there is no five second rule. You throw it in the garbage, end of story.

One of the major reasons I stopped using clay. It's really the way of the past these days.

I wasn't referring to if the clay bar is dropped on the ground. Many a clay bar has gone in the trash due to this this egregious mistake. I was more referring to after finishing a panel you can fold the contaminated side in on itself, flatten it out and have a fresh new side to work with. It was just a tip to extend the life of his clay bar so he's not throwing one away every time he decides to clay his car.

Btw...I will now be looking into that clay replacement you reviewed in the other thread. Looks very promising. Anything that reduces the time in my detail with the same results equals happier me
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner & Extender is what you may need when claying so you can save money and clay.

Here's a run down on this product and how to use it: BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner & Extender
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I also recommend you cut your bar in quarters and have a soap dish or baggie with some QD in so it will last for you for the next time you need it. Every time when a piece falls on the ground then file 13 it and get a new piece.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Use the Speedy Prep Towel. It's harder to drop as it is, but if you do, just wash it off and keep going. It works 10x faster than clay.

However, even the fine grade towel will mar your paint (edges will look sort of dull as though you hit it with some imaginary 5000 grit sandpaper), so if you plan to use it, you HAVE to polish afterwards.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Congrats!!

Your car looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Use the Speedy Prep Towel. It's harder to drop as it is, but if you do, just wash it off and keep going. It works 10x faster than clay.

However, even the fine grade towel will mar your paint (edges will look sort of dull as though you hit it with some imaginary 5000 grit sandpaper), so if you plan to use it, you HAVE to polish afterwards.
That's weird. I've done over a dozen cars with mine and not had a single issue. It's just as safe as clay.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That's weird. I've done over a dozen cars with mine and not had a single issue. It's just as safe as clay.

Maybe they accidentally packed an aggressive one in mine? When I did mine (car is black), edges were dulled out a bit and the only pressure I used was the weight of the towel itself. It sure worked fast, though, so it's a good trade. I plan to use it for my annual detail, but for my 6 month detail, I'm using a normal claybar since I don't polish for that detail.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Maybe they accidentally packed an aggressive one in mine? When I did mine (car is black), edges were dulled out a bit and the only pressure I used was the weight of the towel itself. It sure worked fast, though, so it's a good trade. I plan to use it for my annual detail, but for my 6 month detail, I'm using a normal claybar since I don't polish for that detail.
Did you get the fine grade? There are 2 grades and the other is a more coarse grade. If you got that one, you are more likely to mar the paint.

I have the fine grade and used it on mine and a few other camaros and it did not mar at all.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Could be. who knows. It's not so much a science as it is an art anyway. Everyone gets different results from doing different things.