Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Oceanfront

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
V6 owners try this experiment it might save us Money later

This will only take a minute but give me your feedback please. In an emply parking lot or side road where there is little to no traffic try this. With windows up, radio off, sunroof closed basically no sounds in the car proceed to 27 Kilometers an hour and HOLD that speed or if an American driver 16-17 miles an hour. I experience a fluttering or helicopter type noise every time and my concern is it might lead to bigger problems later perhaps when the car is out of warranty. As mentioned I am driving a V6, six speed automatic 2LT and not sure if this would be the same problem for the V8's. If the noise is not present at the speeds mentioned take it one below or one above and see what happens. Your 30 seconds of cooperation might save us all big bucks later. Thanks all and looking forward to your feedback.
PS. Lets take advantage of this great forum to compare notes and problems.
Oceanfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
... I've experienced that in cars with a sunroof... do you have sunroof and is it, or any of your windows, open when this occurs?
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Oceanfront

Yes I have a sunroof as mentioned above in my post but all closed so there are no distractions. Best to try the experiment if you get a chance and let me know what your results are. Thanks, Marshall
Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've driven a few V6 cars and not experienced this.

But since you can duplicate it take it to your dealer.

This again an overexagerated post. Since you don't know the problem how do you know it will save money later?

But you have left out a lot of critical details to run an NHV experiment. Gear, RPM, hvac settings tire pressure, temperature, did you make any mods at all?

What would be informative would be to have your dealer fix the car and post up the repair.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Exhaust resonance?
As said if you think something is wrong take it to the dealer....

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Tried this on the way to get my coffee this morning. I have a V6 M6 and had the car in 2nd for the test. No flutter noticed at all. Brought the speed up to 20 and still no flutter.
I would bring you car in to the dealer and show them. I had a problem similar to this with my scion tC but only with the sun roof cracked slightly and the fan blowing at the first setting.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
AlmondRocca

Drives: 12 black Charger & 12 IBM Camaro ls
in my 4th gen if i have the tops off and th windows up (wich is rare bc i think it looks dumb) it feels and sonds like a helicopter. its creepy. lol
AlmondRocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I've heard this noise as well, and have never figured out what it was. I am at about 2700 miles and haven't heard it lately. It sounds like a faint helicopter sound, some kind of harmonic at that speed. I'm driving an automatic as well if that helps.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Oceanfront

Yes that sound I'm sure can be duplicated by most of the V6's and that it what I want to know. I'm not trying to conduct a scientific experiment where all has to be well in the lab but most of the Camaros have similar equipment with the exception of perhaps wheel size especially as I mentioned my transmission is a six speed auto. Overexagerate I don't think so especially if this thing rears it's ugly head later down the road when the warranty has expired...that is why I'm trying to nail this down. I have taken it to the dealership and they heard it but required more time to figure it out so it will go back again for this purpose. I was hoping someone out there had a solution. Let me know how you do and thanks again. Regards, Marshall.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I've heard of this low frequency resonance(like a fluttering subwoofer), but only w/ the passenger side window cracked open..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
I've heard of this low frequency resonance(like a fluttering subwoofer), but only w/ the passenger side window cracked open..

I have seen this in other cars....my truck does it HORRIBLY at a certain speed if one of the rear windows is just barely cracked open....close it or roll it down a little it goes away,crack the other rear window and it goes away...

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
camarokat

Drives: ABM, 2LT/RS, sunroof, v6 auto
Hi Marshall,

Do you have the RS package? Next time I get into my car (it has the RS, and it is an auto 2LT w/ sunroof) I'll try this and listen for the noise... but I haven't noticed it in the entire time that I've had my car. I have @ 3,500 miles on it already. Maybe I'm just never driving 16-17mph though?

In your case, does the sound disappear at lower and higher speeds?

2LT/RS, ABM, sunroof
v6 automatic
camarokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I can remember 5-6 times that I have heard this noise and thought it was odd, it always sounded like a helicopter off in the distance. When I have heard this sound my windows have been completely up, when I put the windows down the sound was drowned out by the exterior noise (thus eliminating it being an actual helicopter). I never paid much attention to the actual speed of the vehicle when I heard this noise, but I will try to replicate it tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Oceanfront, please keep me updated on what you hear from your dealer, thank you very much.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
I have never noticed this but I have noticed that I get a strange sound when driving when it is fairly windy and the wind is coming perpendicular to the car (blowing towards to driver side door for example). As soon as I change direction the sound stops. Not really a big concern IMO

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote