Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #85
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
This past summer I tore my left adductor and the tendon also avulsed off the bone... three month rehab and barley missed surgery. From my months of pt I can tell you that a loooong and easy warm up with a ton of stretching is vital to prevent reinjure. Most people try to skimp on this part. Good luck.
I am doing well. My surgery was April 30th. I am definitely not 100% but I have range of motion back (had that a few wks after surgery) and I have been shooting around again. Jumping is becoming normal again. The whole injury was a freak accident. Now only if I could come back like adrian peterson
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #86
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Holy cow bells! I weighed 182# the night of 12/25/12 after Chistmas dinner. I only got back on track yesterday morning with watching my food intake and doing 2 jog/walk work outs each day and right now I weigh 173#. My weight of desire is between 160-165# so I am not as bad as I thought. Must have been sodium and water retained from the holiday foods.
Well you'll weight a good 5 pounds more at night than you will in the morning to begin with But yeah, the extra sodium and water will gang up on you temporarily. And I hate to be the person to say it, but the weight will stay there until your first big poop afterwards lol
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #87
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I can usually only troll one thread at a time! But these are my favorite threads, so here I am. Are you going to hop on the wagon again, or did you stay on it through the holidays?
Multitask! lol.
Been on the wagon. Signed up for 6 months of Crossfit in November when my gym membership ended and they have yet to finish our home gym (stupid contractor) so I was like hey why not! I love it, its fun. Everyone in my class is very humble (they are all people from my sunday school class - and they own it, its a very small 5am class) Its fun and its a great supportive atmosphere. We had a great Christmas dinner healthy style. So very little naughty eating. Actually lost weight through the holidays!

Quote:
I feel I should always post this, as it's good to understand how your body is processing foods.

As you eat, the following happens:

1. Digestion starts immediately in the mouth, where the amylase enzyme starts breaking down starch into glucose. Simple carbs are converted to glucose almost immediately after they are eaten. Complex carbs first need to be broken down into simple carbs before they are converted to energy. Glucose is converted to energy in the form of ATP, as your body requires.

2. After you have met your immediate energy requirements, your body's next priority is to replenish glycogen stores. Glycogen is a way of storing glucose where it can be made immediately available in the case of exertion, such as sprinting or lifting heavy weights, or endurance exercise. Insulin stimulates the action of the glycogen producing enzyme, glycogen synthase.

3. Protein is first broken down into short chains of amino acids by the enzyme pepsin, and then into single amino acids by pancreatic enzymes such as trypsin. Amino acids cannot be stored in the body, and will form an "amino acid pool" in the body, which can be drawn from when muscle synthesis is required, or when glycogen stores are depleted. Once the 'amino acid pool' is full, excess amino acids get converted to sugars (carbs) and fatty acids.

4. Once glycogen stores are depleted, your body will use up the 'amino acid pool' as fuel before turning to fats. This is why it is popular to do cardio on an empty stomach if your goal is to lose weight - so that both the glycogen stores and amino acid pool are quickly used up, forcing the body to turn to fat for fuel. That topic is highly debatable however. Also, this is why you should not do cardio if your goal is to build muscle mass, since this amino acid pool will then be used up as fuel, and will no longer be available to draw amino acids from for muscle building.

5. Once all available glucose, glycogen, and free amino acids are used up, your body will start using fat as a fuel.

6. If there is an excess of carbs, these will be converted to fat as soon as the glycogen stores are full (roughly 30-40 minutes after eating). An excess of protein depends on your total protein consumption during the day, and is independent of the amount of carbs/fat consumed, but will depend on your amino acid pool as described above.

(An interesting consequence of this is that if your amino acid pool is full, every gram of protein you eat will turn to fat. Conversely, if your amino acid pool is being used up faster than you can refill it, no matter what your daily calories, you could eat almost unlimited (pure) protein without putting on a single gram of fat from it.) - This is also why it is important to eat your protein in many small meals during the day! Your body cannot normally handle more than 25-40g of protein at a time, and will convert the rest to sugars and fatty acids, whereas eating it spread out over the day will give you a non-fattening, endless source of amino acids for your muscle building!

7. Fats which you eat are broken down mainly into fatty acids, which are stored as fat, but also as glycerol, which is used to help break down glucose into energy. Thus, too much dietary fat will result in fat storage. Too little fat will result in too little glycerol, resulting in inefficient glycolysis (carb digestion), which will mean your body will use other resources such as muscle for fuel, something you most definitely don't want.

I should clarify that things in here that say "muscle building" are equally important for muscle RETENTION when you're losing weight.

I know I have been hanging around my sister the nutritionist too much when I understood all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
There's the problem in a nut shell, you should do this for YOU, not for someone else. If you NEED to do it for someone else do you have kids, a wife, a dog anyone who would like to see you stick around a bit, if so do it for them.
Exactly. You will never stick with it if it is not for you or the ones you love. You have to really want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
I read last years thread last December and was motivated to go to the gym wtih my girlfriend, we did really good for 3 months, then started slowing down and I haven't worked out in months.
Currently I'm 510 and 183lbs. Not horrible, but 2 years ago, I used to run 30-40 miles/week and hit the gym 2-3 week. I had a knee injury and wasn't able to run and it went downhill from there. My girlfriend and I are going on vacation for the next 4 days, but once the new year hits I want to start going to the gym 4 days week like we used to. It's pretty hard; I can work 12-13 hours a day easy, and fell victim to the 'Facebook 15.' We have a lot of food here at work, so its easy to just snack the whole day.....not to mention they just opened a sweet shop across the campus which has unlimited sweets and ice cream!
I try to eat healthy, lately, I always have a bowl of fruit for breakfast and a huge salad for lunch....now just need to fit a workout schedule in there.

I get motivated easy, but lose it quickly. I'm looking to try new things besides just the normal gym stuff. When I'm at the gym, I mainly focus on my upper and lower chest area, but would like to have more workouts more wellrounded. Hope I found the right place here!
Facebook 15!
Well I'm glad to hear that you did so well at the start of 2012, but this year I hope we can help you make that a lifestyle!
When I find my motivation lacking I usually make a list of why I am working so hard: look good in a bikini, make my husband proud (and make him drool), buy cute clothes, health, longevity, working out helps with my skin... ect. That helps. Or write down the changes you've seen lately and how that makes you proud. Or set new goals.

Quote:
Here is something everyone here with fatloss or workout goals can do that we've done in previous threads that will help keep you motivated and accountable. You can post you're diet's, workouts and even pictures for comparison. Some of us will be glad to give tips for improvement. Routinely posting and staying active with others that share the same goals, will help. The more you learn and apply and see results the more you will get/stay on track.
This definitely helps!
I love sharing recipes! And motivational stuff.
I follow alot of health people and bloggers on instagram and that helps me alot to see what others are eating and doing.

Quote:
Just 'cause it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. LOL

It seems the big trend these days is diet pillls of some sort(99.9% useless) I, if equipped with the knowledge, would work on a willpower pill.
Everyone at my job does diet pills, then they get all pissed when they dont work. They think I'm crazy for my lifestyle, but I'm like hey it actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
I'm in. I am 6ft 3 and have been 220-225 for about 8 yrs now (I am 33). Lowest I was able to get to a few summers ago was 210. I guess my "goal" is 195 and trim my gut.

One issue I had last yr is I tore my ACL playing basketball. I am about 3 months away from playing competitively again. I mainly have been doing an elliptical, recumbent bike, and tread mill.

Anyone do the insanity workout? I have it but have been worried to do it with my knee. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Ryan
Hey Ryan!
That sounds like a great goal! Sorry to hear about your injury but its good to hear you are getting better.
I have done Insanity and it is rough on the knees. There is a lot of jumps. Now you could modify the jumps or cut them out and do another move. P90X is just as good a program for home use but has less wear and tear on the joints. Just a thought.

Quote:
Well you'll weight a good 5 pounds more at night than you will in the morning to begin with But yeah, the extra sodium and water will gang up on you temporarily. And I hate to be the person to say it, but the weight will stay there until your first big poop afterwards lol
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #88
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post

I know I have been hanging around my sister the nutritionist too much when I understood all of that.
Sadly, I'm not even a nutritionist. I just read a lot and asked a lot of questions when I started. I even took a couple of classes. Yep... I'm a "health nerd".
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #89
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not even a nutritionist. I just read a lot and asked a lot of questions when I started. I even took a couple of classes. Yep... I'm a "health nerd".

Same here. The thing is there is so much mis-information out there people get confused. One thing that you will notice though is that if you do enough research you will find that those who are the most successful and knowledgeable all pretty much share the same views on both nutition and training.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #90
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
I knew alot of it before she started her degree but she explained more about the cycles the body goes through using all these big words that at the time I was like what tha... But now I'm like OOOH.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #91
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
OK - seeing all the brains of the C5 weight loss and fitness world are on -
I have a question -

It's time for me to commit AGAIN to losing 20 lbs. I always start
with the best intentions and then fall off - like alot of people. -
I have been going to Boot Camp 3days a week since summer and
2 days a week since Sept 2011. I haven't lost 1 lb, but I am
stronger than I have ever been. I'm up at 5:00am on those days
and start at 6:00. My question is about breakfast. Instead of
trying to revamp everything, I want to start one piece at a time.
Typically when I get up now I have a cup of coffee at home and
a greek yogurt. If I'm exercising, I can't eat before or I'll get sick.
I'll have my coffee and yogurt when I get to work, and sometimes
will have a protein shake right after working out.

If I try to eat 5-6 times a day, let's start with just breakfast and
mid morning snack. What ideas do you have? My main meal will
have to be lunch because I am rarely home before 7-7:30 at
night.

OK -- what do you think?
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #92
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
OK - seeing all the brains of the C5 weight loss and fitness world are on -
I have a question -

It's time for me to commit AGAIN to losing 20 lbs. I always start
with the best intentions and then fall off - like alot of people. -
I have been going to Boot Camp 3days a week since summer and
2 days a week since Sept 2011. I haven't lost 1 lb, but I am
stronger than I have ever been. I'm up at 5:00am on those days
and start at 6:00. My question is about breakfast. Instead of
trying to revamp everything, I want to start one piece at a time.
Typically when I get up now I have a cup of coffee at home and
a greek yogurt. If I'm exercising, I can't eat before or I'll get sick.
I'll have my coffee and yogurt when I get to work, and sometimes
will have a protein shake right after working out.

If I try to eat 5-6 times a day, let's start with just breakfast and
mid morning snack. What ideas do you have? My main meal will
have to be lunch because I am rarely home before 7-7:30 at
night.

OK -- what do you think?
Breakfast is the easiest as you can be a little more lenient because. you will burn off what you eat, within reason lol. I'v.e posted some easy take on the run recipes, when I'm at my computer I will dig them up and repost them
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #93
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Quote:
Breakfast is the easiest as you can be a little more lenient because. you will burn off what you eat, within reason lol. I'v.e posted some easy take on the run recipes, when I'm at my computer I will dig them up and repost them

Thanks for all your help. Take on the run is perfect.
I think if I make one meal a good "habit", I can then
move on to the next and then the next. It will be
better for me than trying to change everything all
at once, I get too frustrated and then quit. I'll
watch for those recipes.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #94
kalimus

Quote:
watch for those recipes.
If you're on the run a lot, there are several fast food substitutes that are acceptable. It's still not as healthy as getting up a little earlier and preparing your own... but it is out there. For example, if I get into a rush I get an egg mcmuffin from McDonald's. They are 300 calories each (no sausage or anything like that), and they have a good amount of protein. It's good to know what's available when you're running behind. Lots of Turkey burgers (Carl's Jr/Hardees sells one, complete with a wheat bun). Subway has some acceptable meals (get the 6", no chips). Taco Bell's "healthy menu", well it's still better than their normal food. The new bowl they offer isn't horrible either.

It would be good for you to do some research and put a list together "just in case". Don't rely on it for all your meals though.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #95
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
If you're on the run a lot, there are several fast food substitutes that are acceptable. It's still not as healthy as getting up a little earlier and preparing your own... but it is out there. For example, if I get into a rush I get an egg mcmuffin from McDonald's. They are 300 calories each (no sausage or anything like that), and they have a good amount of protein. It's good to know what's available when you're running behind. Lots of Turkey burgers (Carl's Jr/Hardees sells one, complete with a wheat bun). Subway has some acceptable meals (get the 6", no chips). Taco Bell's "healthy menu", well it's still better than their normal food. The new bowl they offer isn't horrible either.

It would be good for you to do some research and put a list together "just in case". Don't rely on it for all your meals though.
Egg McMuffins are my FAVY!
And subways breakfast is pretty good too!
Smart Ones makes some pretty good "egg mcmuffins" you can pop in the microwave as well. I think they are 220 calories.
Sometimes if I know I am going to have a hectic week I'll go by My Fit Foods or Krogers for their Perfect Fit Meals - grab 4 or 5 breakfasts and lunches so I'm set for the week. They have all the info on the label, low calorie, lots of protein, low sodium. Pretty good, super fast.

90% of the time during the work week I usually just eat boiled eggs and ezekiel bread in the morning with milk.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #96
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Egg McMuffins are my FAVY!
And subways breakfast is pretty good too!
Smart Ones makes some pretty good "egg mcmuffins" you can pop in the microwave as well. I think they are 220 calories.
Sometimes if I know I am going to have a hectic week I'll go by My Fit Foods or Krogers for their Perfect Fit Meals - grab 4 or 5 breakfasts and lunches so I'm set for the week. They have all the info on the label, low calorie, lots of protein, low sodium. Pretty good, super fast.

90% of the time during the work week I usually just eat boiled eggs and ezekiel bread in the morning with milk.
Ezekiel bread and hard boiled eggs are one of my on the go breakfasts.

The egg mcmuffins and subway or any of the fast food choices are ok in a pinch but would not be high on my choice lists, they are not to bad calorie wise because of size but the ingredients are far from optimal.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #97
CFD

Quote:
watch for those recipes.
Believe me I live on "on the go meals" I will be 58 next month, I am a single dad with a 16 yr old son, I am the owner operator of Carter's Fab and Design as well as Carter's Auto service and almost never miss my workouts, barring injuries lol. If you think there's spare time in my schedule your sadly mistaken, yet I always eat healthy with no excuses.

This recipie I've posted before because it is a life saver, it's not just acceptable but is considered a fat burning meal, the ingredients and macro-nutrients are spot on.

The calorie count is most likely high for your needs so this is what I do, double the recipie and than make three servings instead of two. I keep these in my freezer and any time, especially for breakfast I grab one and take it with me, you can eat it anywhere, it tastes good and it will fill you up. Try it, you will see how easy it makes things.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #98
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Thanks for the ideas. I shop at Krogers so that's probably
going to be my first stop. Thanks for the "on the run" ideas.
I may need more of those for lunch - but that's after I
get a good morning routine.

Now what about mid-morning? Is that the 2nd meal time?
Fruit? Yogurt (I'd like to keep the greek yogurt if it makes
sense) -ideas?