Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
ThunderSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Whoever said that installing Headers on a 2010 camaro was easy, I would like too.....

Shove that driver side header up their A$$..
2.5 freaking hours of trying to get that damn ARH Header in there.
Firewall, steering shaft, oil cooler, and motor mount where all in the way, and tube locking the header from sliding up into it's position..
finally loosened the motor mount, and had to completely remove it to get the header to slide up in there.. Had it just slid up in there, it would have gone a lot more quickly than 7.5 hours( Complete system install) it took me to get it in.. probably could have installed it in 3-5 hours... Once it was in, it went together pretty good..
But just to give you other guys a heads up.
If you run into a similar problem.. it's quicker to just go ahead and remove the motor mount, than it is to try and force the header up in there..

Ok, I am getting off my soap box for now...

2010 Camaro SS/RS HKE Forged 416 CID
http://www.fquick.com/ThunderZ28
510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs

Last edited by ThunderSS; 10-02-2009 at 07:42 AM.
ThunderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
I had the ARH's in my Z06, compared to the Doug Thorley shorties most people are installing the ARH's are MUCH beefier, and I'd assume they'd be a huge pain in the @$$ compared to the shorties
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
if it's any consolation, i get to replace one of the studs on my driver's side manifold (where it bolts to the y-pipe) before i drop the engine my truck. the threads are completely rounded off
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
68blk/yel396

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
Whoever said that installing Headers on a 2010 camaro was easy, I would like too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSS View Post
Shove that driver side header up their A$$..
2.5 freaking hours of trying to get that damn ARH Header in there.
Firewall, steering shaft, oil cooler, and motor mount where all in the way, and tube locking the header from sliding up into it's position..
finally loosened the motor mount, and had to completely remove it to get the header to slide up in there.. Had it just slid up in there, it would have gone a lot more quickly than 7.5 hours it took me to get it in.. probably could have installed it in 3-5 hours... Once it was in, it went together pretty good..
But just to give you other guys a heads up.
If you run into a similar problem.. it's quicker to just go ahead and remove the motor mount, than it is to try and force the header up in there..

Ok, I am getting off my soap box for now...

ThunderSS

Thanks for the heads-up. I want the ARH headers on my 2SS A6 as well. I already installed the SLP Axle back Loudmouth II exhaust system and was wondering how much louder the exhaust would be? Did you get the header with full flow cats? What mufflers do you have on your car? I know you have the M6 tranny, but on mine I wondered about cabin noise and the drone from the AFM. I haven't tuned the AFM out yet. Just asking opinions.

Thanks in advance.
68blk/yel396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
ThunderSS

I have installed several sets of these on different vehicles.. they all fit tight, but this is the first time I have had to pull the motor mount out of the way.. just a real pain in the A$$..

510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
ThunderSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blk/yel396 View Post
ThunderSS

Thanks for the heads-up. I want the ARH headers on my 2SS A6 as well. I already installed the SLP Axle back Loudmouth II exhaust system and was wondering how much louder the exhaust would be? Did you get the header with full flow cats? What mufflers do you have on your car? I know you have the M6 tranny, but on mine I wondered about cabin noise and the drone from the AFM. I haven't tuned the AFM out yet. Just asking opinions.

Thanks in advance.
I went with the ARH headers W/Cats, and a Corsa Catback. The interior noise is pretty much null while cruising.. but noticeable on the inside when getting on it.. outside of the car.... the thing friggin screams when getting on it.. , you will def. notice a change in idle sound out side of the car.. I like the Corsa cause it does so well with the noise cancellation in the interior.., I dont know how the SLP Loudmouth 2 will be.. I think thats going to be REALLY loud

510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #7
ThunderSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
if it's any consolation, i get to replace one of the studs on my driver's side manifold (where it bolts to the y-pipe) before i drop the engine my truck. the threads are completely rounded off
I do not envy you.......

510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
68blk/yel396

Quote:
I went with the ARH headers W/Cats, and a Corsa Catback. The interior noise is pretty much null while cruising.. but noticeable on the inside when getting on it.. outside of the car.... the thing friggin screams when getting on it.. , you will def. notice a change in idle sound out side of the car.. I like the Corsa cause it does so well with the noise cancellation in the interior.., I dont know how the SLP Loudmouth 2 will be.. I think thats going to be REALLY loud

Thanks for the feedback............I think you are correct, it may be too be noisy on the outside. I have heard several Camaro's with headers that have the stock mufflers and they sound mean as hell !! I could always put the stock mufflers back on and sell the LM II's.

Now how about the horse power gains.........is noticeable when driving?? That is the main reason I am adding headers. Went to the 1/4 mile strip last week-end and turned a 13.63 time with my car. Have an HPE CAI and a HPE tune only. So the next way to get quicker would be the headers and maybe an intake upgrade.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
I do not envy you.......
yay for metal loosening up when you put a torch to it

yeah... what's even better is that i'm gonna replace it with one from my old motor, so i get to remove 2 of them suckers (i'm already borrowing money for the swap, so every dime i can save helps - even when it ain't so ideal :()
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
ThunderSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68blk/yel396 View Post
Thanks for the feedback............I think you are correct, it may be too be noisy on the outside. I have heard several Camaro's with headers that have the stock mufflers and they sound mean as hell !! I could always put the stock mufflers back on and sell the LM II's.

Now how about the horse power gains.........is noticeable when driving?? That is the main reason I am adding headers. Went to the 1/4 mile strip last week-end and turned a 13.63 time with my car. Have an HPE CAI and a HPE tune only. So the next way to get quicker would be the headers and maybe an intake upgrade.
I havnt tuned to car yet with the system on it.. havnt really gotten on it, besides a couple of revs.
I ran out of time last night, finished at 12:30am, and had to be at work at 1am.. so tuning will come hear shortly...

You should gain about a 1/2 second with tuning in a Long Tube system... thats about what I have picked up in other vehicles I have done. should be somewhere near a 12.5 in the quarter mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
(i'm already borrowing money for the swap, so every dime i can save helps - even when it ain't so ideal :()
I know exactly what your talking about..
Good luck with it ...

510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
68blk/yel396

[QUOTE=ThunderSS;995441]I havnt tuned to car yet with the system on it.. havnt really gotten on it, besides a couple of revs.
I ran out of time last night, finished at 12:30am, and had to be at work at 1am.. so tuning will come hear shortly...

You should gain about a 1/2 second with tuning in a Long Tube system... thats about what I have picked up in other vehicles I have done. should be somewhere near a 12.5 in the quarter mile

Thanks and have a Great Week-end from the far West side of Houston.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
haulass350

Drives: 97 silverado
i dunno what you did but something went wrong then,

i put on ARH headers on my car in just at 2 hours i had NO complications, i had the car about 18 inchs or so in the air and that was it. dunno why you had problems mine went in perfectly. my set had tons of clearance to slid up in there after i slid the steering shaft up like the directions said.....
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Maybe some of the pro installers will chime in with tips and tricks ..

Crowley
Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
ThunderSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulass350 View Post
i dunno what you did but something went wrong then,

i put on ARH headers on my car in just at 2 hours i had NO complications, i had the car about 18 inchs or so in the air and that was it. dunno why you had problems mine went in perfectly. my set had tons of clearance to slid up in there after i slid the steering shaft up like the directions said.....
I couldnt get it far enough out of the way..... Dunno, but it's n now.. nothing broke, and I like the way it sounds.. it was worth it.. Just a real pain in the butt though...
on a scale of 1-10 for mechanic ability, I am at a 9.. I do all my own engine work.. Complete tear down, and rebuild.. the only thing I dont do is machining....

Oh well...
I just needed to vent, and now I look forward to installing the Wide band Kit tonight, that I had planned on installing last night.. this should be fun too

510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs