Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
AshleyOhio

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Exclamation Cadillac Swap v6??

My 2011 Camaro needed an engine. A Cadillac engine was purchased as a replacement. 3.6L engine, automatic. Why is the Cadillac engine $1K cheaper than the Camaro engine if, according to my husband, it's the exact same engine??? Aside from the oil pan, he says they are identical. He can't seem to explain the price difference and I'm suspicious.

Is this Cadillac engine even going to work in my Camaro?? Or is it going to be a nightmare and he will wish he spent the extra $1K?? I can't find any info about a successful swap. Is that because they don't exist or it's too common to bother discussing??
AshleyOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If it's the same rpo it's the same engine. Some things might have to be changed over from the old engine to the new, common things are, front cover, oil pan, for different accessories and locations.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
They are both the GM LLT engine, not sure what minor differences their may be but I would expect the differences would not be in the actual engine but perhaps tuning, oil pan as you husband states, and other accessories which probably are not even sold with the engine.

If you buy the short block they are the same. Long block which just means it comes with most of the necessary accessories there may be some differences.

I expect it is just marketing that makes the difference, possibly more people need to replace engines on Camaros than Cadillacs?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
You sure they're the same? The Camaro V6 might have different profile cams for more HP.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
AshleyOhio

No, I'm not sure they are the same at all. My husband says they are... I'm going to ask Google right now about hp differences.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
There are slight hp differences but that really means nothing just as when GM increased the the HP from one year to the next (I think that was 2010 to 2011) on the v6 and said there was no change to the engine and that they just under reported the hp the year before.

There probably is a tuning difference and probably some other differences but those are really in things attached to the engine and not the engine itself. They may have difference ECM tunes, oil pan, throttle bodies, exhaust, maybe even cams, ect. except for the cam they are all separate parts and not the engine.

If the Cadillac has a difference cam basically all that likely means is that you may end up with 5-10 less hp but a smoother running engine. Typically a Cadillac would have the engine turned to run smoother and nicer and giving up a couple hp to achieve that.

I doubt it but the only issue I could imagine would be if mounts are different somehow but probably not.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
From the info I found all the 3.6 engines are the same except for a oil pans-covers. The difference in HP ratings is in the tune. The Camaros were tuned to the very edge.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Do you have the part number of the engine you are getting?

For reman engines, the CTS and Camaro use the same part number with a note - may have to swap pan. Some of the replacement engines are "partial" and do not include stuff like the intake. Which may be the price diff. I'd bet the content on how complete the engine is accounts for the price diff, vs model.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Seems to me the difference in price is the fact the Camaro engine is rated at more HP. Its only a rating the engines are identical inside. Funny how that works lol.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So, bottom line, it will work. If it is in the tune, it will have the higher HP as you are already Camaro tuned. I doubt the cams are different for a few HP difference.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Both a CTS and Camaro show the same part numbers for replacement engines. The only price differences I see are; new vs reman or how complete the engine comes. Any HP diff would be from the exh/int/tune.

What are the two part numbers that are a thousand difference?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:09 AM   #12
AshleyOhio

The thousand dollar difference was at the place my husband found the replacement CTS engine. One was from a Camaro, the other a Cadillac. Similar mileage, identical engines (except the oil pan). Which is maybe where a portion of the price difference comes in? If I didn't have a Camaro oil pan/pick up tube, I would have to buy them. Obviously they are included with the Camaro engine. Maybe that's some of it? I won't lose any more sleep over this. I'm just so happy to hear that it will work in my car. Thank you all so much.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyOhio View Post
The thousand dollar difference was at the place my husband found the replacement CTS engine. One was from a Camaro, the other a Cadillac. Similar mileage, identical engines (except the oil pan). Which is maybe where a portion of the price difference comes in? If I didn't have a Camaro oil pan/pick up tube, I would have to buy them. Obviously they are included with the Camaro engine. Maybe that's some of it? I won't lose any more sleep over this. I'm just so happy to hear that it will work in my car. Thank you all so much.
Good luck with it all, i hope your car is up and running soon.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Who is doing the swap for you?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadillac, swap