Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Micahgt90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
2010 camaro leaking oil

I purchased a 2010 Camaro 2LT with RS package, 2 weeks ago. The previous owner had the cam seal replaced a few days before my purchase. I'm now seeing what looks like an oil leak coming out of the exhaust and some white smoke. Not sure if it's related to that seal being replaced. Also, the car has an STS Turbo kit. This is a rear mount turbo. Oil leak appears to be coming from the exhaust side with the turbo.*Also has some type of grey sludge in the tail pipe..

Any help with what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Car has 64k miles. Shouldn't be having leaks yet I wouldn't think.
Micahgt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
If the turbo housing is cracked and/or the internal seals are blown, you will see oil leaking into the exhaust. It will produce a grey blue smoke when it burns.

As for the sludge, I bet it's a mix of all the crap building in the exhaust mixed with condensation.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Based on your description, sounds like the turbo. Had similar symptoms occur when I had my '87 Callaway Corvette. If it is, it will continue to get worse; you will either need to have it rebuilt or replaced.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Micahgt90

Should there be any other symptoms? Like performance? The car drives/handles perfectly fine. Turbo is working fine also in regards to performance.

I'm new to having a sports car so I'm not very familiar with turbos and troubleshooting on this car.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Micahgt90

Is it better to rebuild or replace? I'd assume replace but I know sometimes it doesn't matter to much. Any idea on the cost for something like that?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahgt90 View Post
Should there be any other symptoms? Like performance? The car drives/handles perfectly fine. Turbo is working fine also in regards to performance.

I'm new to having a sports car so I'm not very familiar with turbos and troubleshooting on this car.
When mine first started, there wasn't any noticeable performance issues; right before I changed them out it had gotten a little worse & I noticed reduced performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahgt90 View Post
Is it better to rebuild or replace? I'd assume replace but I know sometimes it doesn't matter to much. Any idea on the cost for something like that?
When I had the problem with mine, the car was over 20 years old, so I just replaced both. I would think rebuilding versus replacing them would come down to a few factors: How bad they are, is there somewhere you can find that can properly rebuild them and the cost difference between rebuilding and buying new ones.

As far as cost ... Don't know what it would cost these days; can't remember exactly how much it cost for new turbos, but I know it wasn't cheap.

Before I did anything, I would take it a shop and have it checked out to make sure the problem is your turbo and not something else ... good luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Micahgt90

Looking online I found something..

"the scavange pump is probably going bad". Not sure what that is. Sounds like an oil pump at the turbo..? Thoughts on this?

Tags
oil leak, seals, sts, turbo