Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Odd but True

Ever since I bought this car its had some throttle quirks. Snappy response to about 1/4 throttle then kinda laggy to 1/2 throttle. Also getting cruising 45mph letting off the throttle and getting back on it would cause the car to fall on it face then take off fast. I tried premium fuel and it helped but didn't completely solve it. Also the traction control doesn't do anything, light on or off until tonight.

I got in the car started it and sat my coffee cupy down on the traction control button without thinking. As I got ready to move the car I moved the coffee cupy off the switch to its usual place and noticed something I never seen before. 2 lights in the speedo were lit, 1 TC the other Stabilitack, I though hmm never seen that Stabilitrak light on before???? So I left it on and went on my way.

I was shocked when I drove it, every hint of weirdness laggy stumble fall on it face is GONE! I drove over 50 miles and was thrilled to actually drive the car like it should drive.

Now the question I have has anyone else had the same experience?

Also how does the speedo clear bezel come off so I can tint the lights a bit so they are not so bright?
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So you shut stability control off. Holding for 10 seconds does that, at least on the SS. It should have no effect on driveability though. Don't know about the cluster off hand but the clear plastic is probably a part of the cluster assembly but i don't know. I'd have to look at the SI procedure. I can tomorrow if i remember.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
CamaroBarb
Banned

With out doubt it changes the driveability, I tried it off and on. Car is starting to get on my nerves. I know someone messed with tune because TC doesn't work but what in world would someone mess with the Stabilitrack unless its a result from tune. BUT I've never seen the Stabilitrack light or TC light come on when the car acts up. The other day I let off the throttle @40mph in a hard turn and when I went to step on it again the car actually felt like it shut off but didn't, No lights came on. I think the brakes came on? ??????? I'm starting see why I got such a ridicules deal on this car. Only thing to do at this point is have the factory tuning reloaded and hope all the trouble was in the tune.

One things for sure it drives very nice without all the throttle quirkiness.

Only took me a year to figure this all out.

If you hold the TC switch down it takes 6 secs to turn off Stabilitack.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
When you take IC out, just press on the tabs and the clear bezel will separate from the back of the cluster.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
CamaroBarb
Banned

So I can remove it completely without the car freaking out? Also is it possible just to remove the clear plastic without removing it completely? I may not even fuss with it and go trade the car on something else. The whole thing has me Leary of the car, who knows whats been messed with or what else doesn't work? I'm wondering about the ABS system too, not sure how I could test it.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
Greenhornet2

Wait until it rains find a big parking lot hit 30-40 and stomp the brakes and see if they lock up. Again. I'd put the factory tune in, but if you don't want the car trade it in
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Sounds like you found the "Oh Shit!" button. You can hold it down or tap it twice to get in that mode. My SS is a daily driver and that's the first thing I do after I fire her up in the morning.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
So I can remove it completely without the car freaking out? Also is it possible just to remove the clear plastic without removing it completely? I may not even fuss with it and go trade the car on something else. The whole thing has me Leary of the car, who knows whats been messed with or what else doesn't work? I'm wondering about the ABS system too, not sure how I could test it.
I had to switch the bezel on mine because the old one had a scratch in it. No, you can't remove just the clear bezel without first taking the whole instrument cluster out.

It's not that hard. Tilt the steering wheel all the way down, pry off the decorative silver gauge trim surround, remove the (4) torx screws holding IC in and then lift it out. Don't forget to unplug the connector from the back.

Oh, it probably would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you do all this. That's how I did it on mine.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
xXSharkfhinXx

Drives: 2015 2SS RS
talk to dynosteve about your tune issues...he might have some good advice for ya, id call him, tell him what your situation is and see what he says....
Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
All your problems stem from buying the cheap Chinese Chevy knock off, Cheby.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 337
Size:  3.7 KB

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The other posts so far have covered some good possible solutions to your conundrum. Good luck and keep us posted!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Wait until it rains find a big parking lot hit 30-40 and stomp the brakes and see if they lock up. Again. I'd put the factory tune in, but if you don't want the car trade it in
Its broke traction many times in the wet and dry. No action is taken by the car, 1st time it happened I was in the rain at a stop sign no one around. I wanted to test TC to see how sensitive it was, the car went out of control on me and spun around. I was to say the least sitting there wide eyed thinking to myself luckily no one or thing was in the way. After getting straightened out I played around with the car spinning the tires in the wet. I was surprised the car is very predictable all the while the tires spinning. But I want the TC to do its thing like it should. I can't think of any good reason someone would disable it. Could have been a disaster for me and I would have never known it doesn't work.

I read up on the stabilitrack, I think its actually working but its acting when it shouldn't be and the light never comes on warning you it acted. I know i'm dragging my feet not having it looked at but i'm on the fence because I never dreamed this car had all these funky features. Plus the blend door trouble. Now every time I turn the key on or off the blend goes CRUNCH as it opens and closes.

What worries me if I take it to the dealer its still under factory warranty. If I mention any problems they will record them. I just think the entire thing is sticky to deal with. Suppose they reload it and things are worse? Or still don't work? I just don't know, I have a offer by someone with HP tuners to pull the tune, look at it save it and load the factory tune. Probably the best way to go BUT It does need tires (1000 dollars) and I'm thinking @80k it maybe time move on as much as I love driving it. When its running properly its a great street machine that will wake your brain up and make you giggle when you move the throttle plate.

I'm going to drive it today and try turning the Stabilitrack off and on again just to be I'm not missing something. I'm going to find some gravel and try the TC with it turned off. Maybe its confused and setup backwards? Why oh why did I trade my old Camaro.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
All your problems stem from buying the cheap Chinese Chevy knock off, Cheby.

Attachment 1018465

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The other posts so far have covered some good possible solutions to your conundrum. Good luck and keep us posted!
funny!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
Greenhornet2

well the test I mentioned will see if the ABS is working, the ABS pump controls the stability control but under different perameters and it doesn't necessarily mean the ABS isn't working. There are ways to turn off the TC and stability as well as wheel hop power limiters in tunes. There are some reasons to do it, drifters for sure want everything off because even with things turned off, the factory will still let the system have some interference
Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
Sounds like you found the "Oh Shit!" button. You can hold it down or tap it twice to get in that mode. My SS is a daily driver and that's the first thing I do after I fire her up in the morning.
Its the have you lost your godda*m mind mode
Sxren_Camaro'13 is offline   Reply With Quote