Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #57
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Sorry it took so long...I know it's been a topic of much debate here lately.

Here's my dyno results. I have the beta-test unit...Vararam "race" intake (requires a tune). Tuning was done by Chuck CoW. (Corvette's of Westchester in Ossining NY).

Both dyno runs were done last night on a Dynojet.

Baseline was done first...totally stock. Made 360hp/352tq.

We than swapped in the tune and the Vararam intake, and ran it again...some nice gains...peak 392hp/398tq. The highest gains (most impressively) were at 4200rpm....+46hp/+57tq

Here's 2 graphs...the second one has the #'s at 4200rpm's highlighted. Keep in mind this is still a test unit!

I can't say enough about how much better the car runs now...much more responsive and pulls much harder. Thanks to Chuck and Vararam! We've also got AR headers waiting to go on...and will get more dyno results posted.

What's with the sudden dip at 3800RPM in both HP and TRQ? Looks like the knock sensor kicked in and pulled timing. Can't say I've seen any quality dyno runs look like that. I have no doubt that VaraRam makes a quality intake, but I don't think the gains would have been quite as impressive had that sudden decrease in power happened....
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #58
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
i live near these guys and have had a chance to meet Chuck and let me tell all of you, HE KNOWS HIS STUFF. None of this really surprises me after meeting him, he will be working on my car too in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

Powerfreak i will stop in the shop when you guy are putting the headers and exhaust on to check that out, seems like you got the hottest car around these parts!!....for now
Mods: American Racing Headers & Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Pfadt Front/Rear Sway Bars, Stealth Bulbs, AAC LED bowtie, AAC Concept LED Side-markers ABM/Tinted, 20% Tints, Chuck COW Tune, MGW shifter (blue with white racing stripes).

Coming Soon: 4:10 Gears?
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #59
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
What's with the sudden dip at 3800RPM in both HP and TRQ? Looks like the knock sensor kicked in and pulled timing. Can't say I've seen any quality dyno runs look like that. I have no doubt that VaraRam makes a quality intake, but I don't think the gains would have been quite as impressive had that sudden decrease in power happened....
I don't know. I did another baseline run a month ago on a different dyno(mustang) and the line was pretty jumpy as well...similar results...359/362.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaro4437 View Post
Finally a mod steps in. Look guys everybody conducts test and everyone does a job differently. It doesnt matter. We all love the 2010 Camaro hell cars in general. I see no reason to have people arguing and questioning a manufacturer about there product or a tuner about his methods or motives. Its plain and simple. Buy what you want and it doenst matter about anybody else. Just try to make the best choice for YOU! Me and my family have raced for years so a street car to me when i get into one is, well slow. But i must say after buying this SS for my wife im am very impressed with a this car for its price that you can buy off the lot and the out of the box horsepower that the car has to begin with. Its a very impressive little street car. With some great looks and good power. Anyways, dont fight over this guys. I admire Ted for his info and the others on here for numbers they post. Great information can be learned from others. But arguing its just not worth it. Ive always been told (Less said, less to be said.) This is Camaro 5. Lets just learn from eachother as friends and enthusiasts. No one should question anyones findings. Just read and research and learn. Sorry for the wall of text guys. I enjoy your post on this forum.

Keith A. Maxey
98 Rocks Racing
THANKS for your common sense!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #60
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Thanks for the info, we can do what we want for a CAI.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #61
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

The Baseline Numbers are Very choppy Which Means this car must have been stuck on the Low Octane table, was Cold, or was experiencing Detonation due to Bad Fuel.
I was a little intrigued by the choppy baseline as well...

There are those that like Vararam and those that don't.

Ted...in all honesty, between the 'ram air is a myth' post and your constant jumping all over ANY vararam beta posts...you're starting to become the antithesis of 2SSRS...at least that's my perception. These discussions continue to degrade. Perhaps for the sake of all we should have a thread 'restraining order' on you guys....
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #62
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I was a little intrigued by the choppy baseline as well...

There are those that like Vararam and those that don't.

Ted...in all honesty, between the 'ram air is a myth' post and your constant jumping all over ANY vararam beta posts...you're starting to become the antithesis of 2SSRS...at least that's my perception. These discussions continue to degrade. Perhaps for the sake of all we should have a thread 'restraining order' on you guys....
What are you trying to do get me band.lol And the Q was for real as we did 3 pulls in 3 gear.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #63
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
This test was done with a tune. What is the average HP gains from a tune only. I'm trying to figure out the gains are from the intake and what are from the tune...
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #64
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
This test was done with a tune. What is the average HP gains from a tune only. I'm trying to figure out the gains are from the intake and what are from the tune...
This is a tune-only unit.

We'll have to wait for a good dyno on the no-tune unit.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #65
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
go back and look at my first post in this thread...

http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...2&postcount=23

I got 6hp from just a tune on a completely stock car....
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #66
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
What are you trying to do get me band.lol And the Q was for real as we did 3 pulls in 3 gear.
not from the board...just banned from posting in any other CAI thread and Jannety from posting in Vararam threads.

Honestly it's become tiring. IMHO
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #67
Chuck CoW

Drives: Corvette/Camaro Shop Owner
Here's what we did....

Quote:
I am not suggesting you are a Fanboy, Just working with Facts only Nothing Personal I assure you.

Dyno's Don't Vary That Much and I am sure that Chucks Dyno is Accurate.

OK then lets get some details, How many baseline pulls were made?
Where the fuel trims cleared before the baseline pull and was there a drive cycle to stablize them.
What was the water and Oil Temperature on the baseline pull.

It takes 3-4 pulls to get a good baseline to compare to as we did in our CAI tests.

Then we take the BEST Baseline pull and compare it to the BEST after install or tune.

There seems to be an epidemic of Low Baseline to finished product comparisons which I don't think is Fair, Honest or Accurate.

The Community deserves to Know the Truth and Nothing but the Truth So Help Me God.

I would Say Remove the CAI and install the Stock Air box Clear memory, drive cycle and retest for accurate baseline.

LS3s make 372-379 RWHP
L99s make 330-340 RWHP

Ted.
Here's what we did.... installed the stock intake and tune and drove the car 30 miles before the dyno...

We made 3 pulls, each of which were nearly identical for the cold humid night that it was in 4th gear.

The fuel trims for the stock intake and tune were sufficiently learned however, I did nothing more than a fuel trim reset after installing the VARARAM on the dyno and let it idle a few minutes.

Neither the stock tune or my tune had any pinging whatsoever.

The erratic "dyno line" and the subsequent "smoothing" was a result of the Dyno's RPM trigger. We used an inductive pickup on both the wiring going to the coil and also the injector another time. We used the pickup method that worked best for the moment and that's why the line is not smoother.

Also, Everyone please keep in mind that if I had intentions of "fluffing" the numbers to show off, I would and could have ABSOLUTELY made more than the 3 pulls we made and made tuning changes to maximize the numbers.

The datalogs of the dyno runs tell me that there was absolutely more available power (especially down under the curve) and some up top as well but, we made the decision to quit after 3 pulls as the AFR was a clean mid 12 with no pinging. We had what we were after and we called it a day.

Also keep in mind. This car has NO HEADERS and NO CAT BACK on 93 octane. This was a true AS IS test of MY tune and the VARARAM #007 "TUNER" Version of the intake. Nobody else tested a similar unit.

That being said.... The AMERICAN RACING 1 7/8 LONG TUBES go in next week with a nice cat back and then this product will show it's true colors in full street trim.

This will be a package that anyone with a Camaro will want to own.

Stay TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Chuck CoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #68
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
^^^^^ Thanks Chuck
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #69
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
If you have not changed any of the settings in the dyno it should repeat repeat repeat without issue.

I guess you could just twist some knobs and change the numbers, I don't Know I don't have a Mustang, I have a Superflow, No Knobs.

I am serious when I say if we see more than a 10 Hp change from one pull to another we are looking Hard at everything not just the car, given our experience it is 99.99999% of the time the CAR .

I would not worry about 10 hp from dyno to dyno but 40 again I would be looking at the car real hard.

It's all good conversation.

Ted.
Like boost leak test , compresion test , AFR , Timing ,data logs , Boost , Cam timing and even tire air pressure ... , did all that checking over my car .

Mustang dyno's in FLA , stock evo dyno @ 260+ WHP
Mustang dyno's in OH and the left cost , stock evo dyno @ 200-220whp

Some knobs have a lot of finger prints on them .

But the VR intake/tune , it made +32 HP but why ?....
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #70
Jason@RPM-Motorsports

Drives: 98 WS6
Quote:
Looking at your Baseline Graph there is a pretty big dip in the torque curve which indicates Knock Sensors Pulling timing which explains the Low numbers.

I am not disputing your finished results, they are right in line with what we see regularly.

I am however disputing your baseline numbers which falsely inflate the gains advertised.

Sorry to Be the Rain on your parade but FACTS is FACTS.

Ted.

I agree with you 100%
Jason@RPM-Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote