Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Exclamation Colorado Emission Rules? **ONLY PEOPLE KNOWLEDGEABLE ON SUBJECT**

I have posted before questions about the catalytic converters but didn't get much info then... So I decide Ill try and ask again

What are the exact laws on the Colorado catalyic's I know that you cant run your car in the state without them. But what about replacing the stock ones... With like doing a long tube headers and highflow catted xpipe, is that legal? I know that you can tune it for the sensors and such. But will you pass visual in Colorado? And what are the laws around doing this? I DON'T want to remove the cats...
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
talon6900
GRRREEN

Drives: '14 Denali HD & '11 Camaro
You could always move to Larimer or Weld counties and have no emissions inspection at all...
ZR1 Max Clutch/BMR Stage 3/DSS 1000HP Axles/1LE 3.91's
Carbon Flash Metallic GFX & Stripes, Black TSW Donington 20's
DashTronix Radar Projector for Valentine1
talon6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon6900 View Post
You could always move to Larimer or Weld counties and have no emissions inspection at all...
This^.

Otherwise you are required to have cats. But there is no visual inspection other than checking for a CEL on the instument panel. If you are a stickler for the rules you can always add high flow cats.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
We don't have emissions here in Colorado (not in the traditional sense like other states, see below)... unless it's a used car. So, you should be good making modifications to the car and not have to worry about it for a bit. I believe those vans on the side of the road will test you and you're supposed to get hit twice a year. But I doubt that's regulated.

That said, they were juggling the idea of getting rid of emissions all together. Something about it not being a major issue. Last I heard 2010 was the last year... but that may have just been talk. Here's what the Gov site says on the testing:

Quote:
Change of ownership requires a new passing emissions certificate supplied by the seller at the time of the sale. Tests are required for registration renewal when indicated on registration renewal card. Vehicles 1982 and newer will receive a test which is valid for 2 years. Vehicles 1981 and older will receive a test valid for 1 year.
Diesel vehicles are to be tested as follows: Light-duty vehicles with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs or less are exempt from an emissions test if purchased brand new for 4 model years and then tested every year after that. 2003 and older vehicles are tested every year, and 2004 and newer vehicles are tested every other year. Heavy-duty vehicles with a GVWR of 14,001 and more are exempt from an emissions test if purchased brand new for 4 model years and then tested every other year until it reaches its tenth year and then the vehicle needs to be tested every year.
I bought a Jeep used and had it tested once in 5 years. So, I don't think they regulate this like they should.

Per this:

Quote:
Gasoline: As previously noted, if you drive a gasoline-powered vehicle, you may be exempt from testing. Weld, Larimer and El Paso counties do not require testing, however Denver Metro and surrounding areas DO require testing. For those living in Adams county or Arapahoe county, you may or may not be exempt and the best course of action is to call 303-654-6010 (Adams) or 303-795-4500 (Arapahoe) for information. Test for vehicles that are 1981 or older are $15, and for vehicles that are 1982 or newer are $25. Again, testing facilities can be found in the phone book under automotive, or on the Department of Revenue page of the Colorado.gov web page.
That might explain why in Adams I didn't do any testing. I moved to Jefferson County and had it done once about 4 years ago. There's no mention on the couple sites I checked for you about your modification plans.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
We don't have emissions here in Colorado (not in the traditional sense like other states, see below)...
gonna pm you. Thanks for ALL your info, your the biggest help I can find.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
jimmyj333

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS Aqua Blue L99
So new gasoline vehicles are exempt from testing for 4 years. Then need to be tested every 2 years after.
They will mirror under the vehicle to check for cat's, and full exhaust.
They will also check gas caps, and cel's.
As of now they do have rapid scan vans set up to scan freeway on ramps, so as you are coming close to your renewal and inspection time you must hit these rapid scan sites I beleive twice then send them your $$$ for emissions and renewal of tags. Which then you don't have to bring the vehicle in for inspect.
jimmyj333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Scourage
Syntax Error

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very interesting as this was something I was wondering about since I may be moving into the Denver area fairly soon.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
angelicsowner

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
We don't have emissions here in Colorado (not in the traditional sense like other states, see below)... unless it's a used car. So, you should be good making modifications to the car and not have to worry about it for a bit. I believe those vans on the side of the road will test you and you're supposed to get hit twice a year. But I doubt that's regulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj333 View Post
So new gasoline vehicles are exempt from testing for 4 years. Then need to be tested every 2 years after.
They will mirror under the vehicle to check for cat's, and full exhaust.
They will also check gas caps, and cel's.
As of now they do have rapid scan vans set up to scan freeway on ramps, so as you are coming close to your renewal and inspection time you must hit these rapid scan sites I beleive twice then send them your $$$ for emissions and renewal of tags. Which then you don't have to bring the vehicle in for inspect.
FWIW my '02 Jetta was "due" for emissions testing this year. When I got my renewal notice in the mail, instead of "Emissions Test Required" it said "Passed Roadside Testing" and I didnt have to A) pay for it or B) take the car anywhere to get it tested.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Well mike at RCMR said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@RMCR
You will have no problems. These systems are 49 state legal meaning they wont pass California. Other wise you will be cool.

Mike
So you will be fine with long tubes and high flow cats in denver :party0048:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
virgand

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Hello All,
I noticed this post and they are a few years old. I purchased a 2013 Camaro ss and I want to put long tube headers with high flow cats on it. Would this pass inspection or would I get flagged?
virgand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
OK HOLD THE PHONE!

Lots of stuff in here that is not fact!!!!!

I have been busted by the road side trucks! If you running with no cats or performance aftermarket cats and you get on it AT ALL driving by a test truck, you will be notified!!!
Here is what you can expect to see! I about $hit myself!

Then this!

After this you must take you car to a COLORADO STATE emission center. If you do not report for testing the will revoke you plates!!!
You then are put on a dyno and the OBD2 port and they start there testing.

If you Pass they give you two $20 gift cards for gas! If you fail you must fix the problem and report back in no more then 2 weeks for another test!
No pass No plates!

THEN!!!

For you guys that are coming up on the 4th year of a new car you will have to test! If you pass your good for two years! If you buy a USED car (ANYTHING OTHER THEN 1st OWNER FROM A DEALER) will have to test every 2 years! So if you buy you friends 2013 that he had for 2 weeks, you now test ever two years.

As far as CATS!

YOU MUST RUN FACTORY OEM CATS! NO AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE CAT WILL PASS! END OF STORY!!!!
This is not my rule just a heads up for you all! If anyone has a question feel free I have been through it ALL with the state getting plates on mine!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Well mike at RCMR said

So you will be fine with long tubes and high flow cats in denver :party0048:
NOT TRUE!

You can run the headers but you will need to have OEM stamped Cats for your test!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
H0peful1

Drives: --
Old info in here! Updates/ informative links below:

Quote:
Enhanced Area - The full counties of Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, and Jefferson, as well as the partial counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Larimer and Weld.

Basic Area - El Paso county. The gas vehicle emissions program has ended in this area but the diesel program is still in effect.

Effective November 1, 2010, portions of Larimer and Weld counties require testing on gas powered vehicles.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1185957917898

Virgand, here are pass standards:
http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...981-and-older/

Quote:
If you are bringing a vehicle into the Denver-Boulder and North Front Range emissions program area from another state or from another part of Colorado, including from a basic emissions program area, you are required to obtain an emissions test and register your vehicle in your new county within 15 days of establishing residency. In addition, you may need a VIN verification.

THERE IS ONE EXCEPTION:

When a newer vehicle is brought into the program area and is less than three years old (from Manufacturer Statement of Origin) the vehicle does not require an emissions inspection at the time of registration. The vehicle will require an emissions inspection when it reaches its fourth model year.
http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...new-residents/
H0peful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
virgand

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Thanks all for the information. It kind of discourages me from getting long tube headers for sure :(
virgand is offline   Reply With Quote