Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Lightbulb Thinking about purchasing a 4th gen

Hey all, good to be back here on C5. Don't have internets at the new apartment so I have to go to local bookstores or get on my HTC droid and all that fun junk.

So since moving here I've been getting so edgy over my 3rd gen. Being a 20+ year old car and all that's been sitting for about 4 years I'm always getting paranoid if somethings going to go wrong. The AC works and everything, but just yesterday I had to call up my room mate to take me to an autozone cause my upper radiator hose busted. (Lucky for me I caught it just in time.)

I also get real paranoid over my car having no Anti theft system and how I'd feel if I got into a bad fender bender with it.

So, since living here I've noticed that this place (Amarillo, TX) is literally a 4th gen heaven. Everywhere I look there's a 4th gen Camaro OR Firebird; in the parking lot, beside me in the turning lane. Hell, there's even 3 or 4 at the apartment complex I'm in.

And it used to be like "Damn, there's a 4th gen firebird" now it's like "yup, 4th gen firebird."

So I've been wondering if I should save some money up, get some added trust fund support and send my beloved 3rd gen home and start driving a 4th gen just because I don't want to see anything happen to my 3rd gen. I've made too many damn high school memories in that thing to let some idiot on their phone plow into me on the I-40 access road or something.

So can I have some numbers?

I do want a V8, no questions asked there.

Gas mileage?

HP numbers per model?

Relative cost of one in good condition with T-TOPS? (sorry, I like t-tops...)

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k4E View Post
So can I have some numbers?

I do want a V8, no questions asked there.

Gas mileage?

HP numbers per model?

Relative cost of one in good condition with T-TOPS? (sorry, I like t-tops...)
Number depends completely on condition, miles, and year of the car.

Personally, I would go with a Z28 or SS 2000 or up. Usually, the newer, the better. You could get one from 7k to 13k...all depends on miles and condition.

gas mileage is about the same as the 5th Gen. And, since you want a V8, it's not like it's going to be anything special (in terms of getting good gas mileage). You are probably going to have a heavy foot anyway.

HP is going to be around 335 to 345. But, the good part is that the car weighs a few hundred pounds less than the 5th Gen. Performance between the 4th to 5th gen is VERY comparable. 4th Gen is more nimbler. However, the 5th gen can be just the same.

I'd recommend getting a lower mile Z28 or SS w/ no more than 60k miles (if you are planning on keeping it a while). You can get one with T Tops as well. I had 3 4th gens and all had t tops. I miss them! But, use any extra money you have to get a SLP CAI lid and K&N filter and some headers if you can. It'll make a massive difference!

Hope that helps!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Number depends completely on condition, miles, and year of the car.

Personally, I would go with a Z28 or SS 2000 or up. Usually, the newer, the better. You could get one from 7k to 13k...all depends on miles and condition.

gas mileage is about the same as the 5th Gen. And, since you want a V8, it's not like it's going to be anything special (in terms of getting good gas mileage). You are probably going to have a heavy foot anyway.

HP is going to be around 335 to 345. But, the good part is that the car weighs a few hundred pounds less than the 5th Gen. Performance between the 4th to 5th gen is VERY comparable. 4th Gen is more nimbler. However, the 5th gen can be just the same.

I'd recommend getting a lower mile Z28 or SS w/ no more than 60k miles (if you are planning on keeping it a while). You can get one with T Tops as well. I had 3 4th gens and all had t tops. I miss them! But, use any extra money you have to get a SLP CAI lid and K&N filter and some headers if you can. It'll make a massive difference!

Hope that helps!
what he said EXCEPT, buy a Trans Am

Performance wise, 01-02 cars are the best (camaro or firebird). They came with LS6 intakes and some other goodies that the previous years didn't have.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
If you get a 6 speed car you'll be damn close to 30mpg on the highway if you dont beat the crap out of it. Mine was an auto and got 21mpg on the highway cause it had a 6.6 ls2 stroker in it. I dont really remember what it got when it was stock, I would get about 400 out of a tank just cruising around town all week.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
dmginc

6 speed will get 19 city/28 hwy and gets a combined around 23 if you are just driving...if you like to accelerate real hard, closer to 20 combined which is still damn good.

i can romp on my TA all day and it will still get more mpg's then my Jeep...that thing is a serious gas guzzler...

Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Thanks for all the info yall. I know there's a few small lot dealers around here that have a couple and I cruised by one today that had 2 4th gen Camaros and 1 T-Topped Firebird. I'll try to catch em' tomorrow or Tuesday. Probably Tuesday because they're small dealers and it'll be labor day.

There's also a couple promising prospects on Craigslist. Like I said tho, shouldn't be too hard to find a good one since they're all over the place here.

Trying to get a Firebird tho since I kinda like the design, but either one will please me.

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
dmginc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k4E View Post
Trying to get a Firebird tho since I kinda like the design, but either one will please me.
Get the bird!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

I will if I can. Once I figure out how much I'll be making and what a monthly payment will be.

Should be averaging 551-588 a month, but that's with minimum wage. I don't know what my hourly rate is yet but I'm slightly optimistic that it'll be higher because I'll be working as a shop assistant in the college I'm going to.

Basically I'll be setting up labs for other classes, might do a little welding, cleaning up some shops, repacking electric motor bearings, wiring electric motors, and since I'm taking precision machining; every now and then I'll machine a part that the college might need. Sound more like $8-$9 or more an hour work if you ask me. (I hope)

Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
With my car the sticker was around 11.2 starting haggle.

At the time I was making 10/hr

I had 1500 in the bank and a 2001 explorer sport valued at 3500 (haggled) to put down. My father decided as a graduation present to match my cash down payment.

So with 6500 down I had to make up 5200 bucks. Out the door @ 12K I wound up with a 5 year loan of 5300 bucks. Because of the age most banks won't let you take much but a personal loan out.

So at my rate (which was low w/ cosigner) I ended up with payments of 129/mo rounded up. Granted much has happened since then (just see my build thread..) but it helped to live with my parents post grad to cutout some cost of living expenses in exchange for house upkeep (handyman stuff that parents don't have time for, that sort of stuff.

But I digress. If you can get a good rate on your personal loan and get a good price you shouldn't have to pay 500/mo unless it's for insurance. Just ask for a cosigner to help if you can. Good luck, you're gonna love a 4th gen. Compared to a 3rd gen, it's like driving a fighter.

Going from an old F4 Phantom to an F-16.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
With my car the sticker was around 11.2 starting haggle.

At the time I was making 10/hr

I had 1500 in the bank and a 2001 explorer sport valued at 3500 (haggled) to put down. My father decided as a graduation present to match my cash down payment.

So with 6500 down I had to make up 5200 bucks. Out the door @ 12K I wound up with a 5 year loan of 5300 bucks. Because of the age most banks won't let you take much but a personal loan out.

So at my rate (which was low w/ cosigner) I ended up with payments of 129/mo rounded up. Granted much has happened since then (just see my build thread..) but it helped to live with my parents post grad to cutout some cost of living expenses in exchange for house upkeep (handyman stuff that parents don't have time for, that sort of stuff.

But I digress. If you can get a good rate on your personal loan and get a good price you shouldn't have to pay 500/mo unless it's for insurance. Just ask for a cosigner to help if you can. Good luck, you're gonna love a 4th gen. Compared to a 3rd gen, it's like driving a fighter.

Going from an old F4 Phantom to an F-16.
I haven't checked out any dealer prices on Firebirds, but there's a couple on Craigslist for anywhere from 4-7 grand.

I'd like a Firebird, but if none are available in my budget then I'll get a Camaro.

Basically the main reason I'm getting a 4th gen is for a daily driver to replace my 3rd gen. I'm more partial to the third gen because of the looks, but the 4th gen will probably grow on me.

I will have the 3rd gen returned to my small hometown to be in storage until I get my nice $30-$50 an hour job doing machine work; then the 3rd gen will turn into my car show/ car cruise vehicle. This is what I want it to look like in terms of a paint job:

Mods will include Eldbrock Hi-flow TPI Intake manifold, TPI runners, Holley 58mm Throttle body, Aftermarket Headers, 30-36 lbs fuel injectors, possibly a bit more wilder of a cam, and an aftermarket Hypertech PROM chip.

But then again, in my dreams, for now.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Sorry for the double post; but I think I found a real steal. I have to hurry tho because I don't know how long this thing'll last before somebody (hopefully me) will snatch it up.

It's a 1993 Z28 with an LT1, hooked up to a six speed, with a B&M shifter. It has had a K&N cold air kit put in it. The body is very straight with a like new paint job, and a RAM AIR fiberglass hood. Only thing wrong is that a woman clipped his driver side mirror, taking off a quarter of it. He does however, have a replacement mirror that I'll get.

The bad is that it has 172k miles on it. On a much lighter note, however, is that it has been taken care of, and rarely abused.

The asking price for all of this is $3600

So, what do yall think?

Cause I'm thinking tomorrow needs to get here sooner so I can talk to my bank!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I would not buy an LT1... slow.... and optispark issues..... I know there are a lot of guys who swear by them but there is a reason GM dropped the platform
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
dmginc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
I would not buy an LT1... slow.... and optispark issues..... I know there are a lot of guys who swear by them but there is a reason GM dropped the platform
This!

you want to get 98-02 with the LS1, much more power! 01-02 are the best years to buy.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Actually a 93 LT1 is probably the BEST motor short of an LS1 to get in a 4th gen. It shares more with late 3rd gens and late C4s than 4th gens so in a way it's a bastard child of the two/three. Not to mention it does have more low end grunt off the line than an LS motor due to the nature of the LT engine itself. Top end is where it suffers.

Still.. guts of a 92 Corvette and late 3rd gen stuffed into a 4th gen chassis.

All in all, with much of it still being mechanical, you can build that motor without having to bypass much more than you would on a 92 Z28.

I'd check for:

Rust in the rear wheel wells and trunk pan (T-Top well)
Rockers
Shock towers
Any sort of misfiring/hiccups
Ask if it's been converted to a vented optispark or if it's running an original.
Check for sloppy shifting (t56 transmissions should almost feel 'gated' meaning they pop right into gear as if guided by a shift plate)

And try to talk them down to 2800-3000.

Afterwards, convert it to a coil pack system if you plan on building it up a bit. Eliminates the optispark problem altogether by using a combined system of coil packs and the existing optispark crank positioning sensor.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote