Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
What's the short version of the original post . That was a wall of words or an essay which I don't have time to read .
Short version - LS3 Oil pump failure @ 11, 422 miles. GM tells owner to go pound sand as he installed a catch can. Warranty denied / blocked.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasco View Post
Check and see if you have mechanical breakdown coverage through you auto insurance. When I bought my 07 Silverado Geico added it to my policy without even notifying me about it. I never had to use it but it's something you may look into.
Sometimes a simple summons is enough to get the ball rolling. Plus an attorney may go Pro Bono if he's sure of success.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #17
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
OK, so you have to go hire an attorney... which is already going to cost more than the engine repair.

Then you have to sit and wait for however long it would take to get the case litigated... which could be years if GM wanted it to be.

So while technically there is something you could do about it, from a practical standpoint there is not.
So just suck up a new engine, I don"t think so.
That is not true. I know 2 people who have gone through the same that the OP is going through, now not related to the same issue but blamed for a mod that was done and it was covered in one case and split in the other, and it did not take years.

OP- contact the manufacture of the catch can, tell them your situation.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
That sucks big fat greasy n@#$ for sure, sorry to hear this. It would be interesting to have the oil pump checked to see if it was the actual problem. If so, have an attorney write a letter stating the failure was due to a known oil pump failure and threaten legal action if it is not taken care of. Letters of this nature should not cost too much and may be worth a try! If they still deny the claim you don't have to follow through with further action unless you want. Finding an attorney that specializes in this type of issue would be helpful. Good luck however you decide to handle it.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
jasco

Drives: 2015 LT
Quote:
OK, so you have to go hire an attorney... which is already going to cost more than the engine repair.

Then you have to sit and wait for however long it would take to get the case litigated... which could be years if GM wanted it to be.

So while technically there is something you could do about it, from a practical standpoint there is not.
The catch can manufacture should have attorneys to help solve the issue of GM is insisting that is why they will not warranty it.
jasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #20
Flotek

Drives: 2015 RS camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
That sucks big fat greasy n@#$ for sure, sorry to hear this. It would be interesting to have the oil pump checked to see if it was the actual problem. If so, have an attorney write a letter stating the failure was due to a known oil pump failure and threaten legal action if it is not taken care of. Letters of this nature should not cost too much and may be worth a try! If they still deny the claim you don't have to follow through with further action unless you want. Finding an attorney that specializes in this type of issue would be helpful. Good luck however you decide to handle it.

I agree .. Have several gm certified shops inspect the engine and have them write a detailed description on what they believe the culprit was that caused the failure ..Once you have evidence in writing you now have your lawyer send gm a letter addressing the issue and be sure to include you had several independent tests done proving it was unrelated to a catch can mod .threaten legal action if warranty is denied
Flotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #21
Flotek

Drives: 2015 RS camaro
This is a good reminder that if you got to get service warranty work done your best bet is to remove as many bolt on mods as possible in the event they try to weasel out of warranty repairs . Don't give them any reason or excuse to deny your claims ..Let this serve as an example
Flotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/Complaints/index.html

In California we have; BAR ; Bureau of Automotive Repair. Does Texas have them? I would call them and see what they say.

Good Luck
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #23
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Judging by the walloftxt.jpg, OP is too nice of a guy.

No way in hell would I lay down and roll over for a catch can.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #24
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Man that sucks. Good luck with this. I cant believe they would screw you. Its a cheap way out for them.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #25
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotek View Post
This is a good reminder that if you got to get service warranty work done your best bet is to remove as many bolt on mods as possible in the event they try to weasel out of warranty repairs . Don't give them any reason or excuse to deny your claims ..Let this serve as an example

Let me unbolt my supercharger...LOL. Bottom line you pay to play. Of course if I have a problem with my convertible top with any future leaks, or if the paint peels off it, I am screwed as they will say it was because of my mods.....Thanks GM.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I thought a catch can comes factory on some models?
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #27
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
I thought a catch can comes factory on some models?
Nope. Not on Camaro's. Maybe some other Vehicle.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #28
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Guy had the oil pump fail and GM is blaming the catch can so won't cover it under warranty.
Exactly. How many members here have catch cans and HAVEN'T had an issue like this one? GM wasn't looking for a catch can in the pic; they looked for a legal loophole to get out of spending 12k and honoring a warranty. More like a catch22-can.

OP, if it was me, I'd sell it as is (deduct 12 grand or so off the resale price) and put that toward another car. I'd also document everything I can find that would back up your case. It couldn't be too hard to get documentation and/or a someone with credibility (maybe someone that teaches a related field at a college or trade school) that can vouch for the impossibility of a catch can causing this problem. Get a notarized statement from him/her and send it all to GM (certified), advising them that the enclosed documents prove you're not at fault and you're prepared to take them to court if they don't settle. Of course actually following through with a lawsuit isn't feasible, but maybe GM won't call your bluff and just cut you a check.

Yes, I realize it's a lot of work and a long shot. Most people might walk away, but I hate getting ripped off - I'm the type that would cut off my head to spite my face.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote