Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Centrifugal all the way. The no torque down low argument is total bs and a gimmick to get you to buy a heat pump, I mean positive displacement blower. I know on this site that's what the majority go with but you can beat having a Procharger. The Centri will run cooler, make enough torque for you to have fun and allow you to get traction while maintaining constant power, the power won't fall off as the rpm's climb, it doesn't stress your motor like a PD blower, etc. I could go on and on but I'm having a blast with my Centri so don't get caught up in the overrated lack of torque down low argument.

This is on 7lbs with a D-1SC on a LS3 with no headers or meth

I do not think anyone has said anything about the Centri's not having any low end torque, they just do better at upper RPM levels which is exactly what your dyno chart proves. At 3000 rpms, your getting around 400 lb/ft or torque. At the same rpms, Evowake has 550 lb/ ft and his torque curve is much broader and flatter compared to yours. Now different engine specs are certainly going to produce different power levels but on average, from the dyno charts I have studied, the PD blowers make a very wide, broad, flat torque curve and the centri's make a gradually building torque curve.

This is the difference between the two, this is why a Centri may be better for a race car as they do not top out like a PD does. This is why a PD offers more usible grunt at street rpms.

Both are very different, not saying one is better then the other, just need to see which one matches up with your wants, needs and goals better for the way you will be driving your car. Both are great, both have their advantages, both have their disadvantages. All you have to do is look at the shape of the dyno graphs to tell you what each blower will do at different RPM levels.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
All that torque will be useless if you can drive, have drag radials, or both. Everyone has their preference and mine is a Centri. The whole centri's are better for racing and pd's are better for the street is a silly argument too. It all comes down to driver mod and traction. If your pd car doesn't perform at the strip it's because you can drive not because of the type of blower you have.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
First off nice numbers man! I had a P1SC on my last camaro just to validate that i'm not trying to start a fight here. That being said, i have to point out that your statement.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03
The no torque down low argument is total bs and a gimmick to get you to buy a heat pump, I mean positive displacement blower.

Is utterly false. Horsepower is a function of torque. if you are generating more torque across a wider range of engine speed, you ultimately have a better performing vehicle provided you can put the power to the ground.

Because it is difficult in most cases for any car over 500HP to put power to the ground, this is where a centri. gets a point for most street applications in my book.

as far as the PD falling on its face, my car has a cam that runs out a bit up top, and if you want more, build up, pulley down

Either way, PD or Centri, you'll have a bad ass ride.

EvoWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
cyber how fast is your car?
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
Hahaha this again. To answer question neither!!!! Go twin turbo!!!!! 693whp 708wtq 9.5psi stock exhaust, stock cam, stock heads. + a boost controller allows you to turn it up and down as you please.
Dang, talk about efficient boost! Noice!

oh, and OP, I went with a PD because i liked the OEM nature of its appearance more than anything. Any FI setup is going the be fun as hell and more than you can realistically use on the street without a LOT of suspension work.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Quote:
Hahaha this again. To answer question neither!!!! Go twin turbo!!!!! 693whp 708wtq 9.5psi stock exhaust, stock cam, stock heads. + a boost controller allows you to turn it up and down as you please.
This is also a great option. I've rode in this car and it's a absolute monster. Totally stock looking and once you've found out its not it's too late.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoWake View Post
First off nice numbers man! I had a P1SC on my last camaro just to validate that i'm not trying to start a fight here. That being said, i have to point out that your statement.....

Is utterly false. Horsepower is a function of torque. if you are generating more torque across a wider range of engine speed, you ultimately have a better performing vehicle provided you can put the power to the ground.

Because it is difficult in most cases for any car over 500HP to put power to the ground, this is where a centri. gets a point for most street applications in my book.

as far as the PD falling on its face, my car has a cam that runs out a bit up top, and if you want more, build up, pulley down

Either way, PD or Centri, you'll have a bad ass ride.
Putting the power to the ground is key. Both produce enough torque to leave the car sitting still.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Quote:
Putting the power to the ground is key. Both produce enough torque to leave the car sitting still.
Amen

Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
I second that motion
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
I agree!!

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
infernometallicSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Best Run - 10.93@125
Quote:
Go twin turbo!!!!! 693whp 708wtq 9.5psi
Holy Christ that's a lot of torque!!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I'm going to tell you the same thing Ted told me...with an auto, the PD blowers will do more instant torque. A Centri will make power up top and not take away anything down low...also, easier on parts.
IMO, Whipple, Vortech, or ProCharger. Pick from those three. You want to drag race a lot...do a centri. You want something easy to install and less lines to deal with...do a centri. Ted's mail order tune is spot on with my car. I'd recommend Whipple or ProCharger and just get it from Jannetty.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Who cares which one beats the other, it can go either way!! Pick the one you like the best and go get it. I have a whipple so I'm going to tell you to get a whipple, Tom, Dick, and Harry have prochargers and they will say get a procharger. Get the one that you like the best (I bet you already have one you prefer) and pull the trigger. I have seen all different types of FI run the same time slips at the track, comes down to driver in the end. They are all a blast to drive so go get blown lol!!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernometallicSS View Post
If there is anyone in the Phoenix area that has either type of blower that wants to give me a ride along, please let me know.
That's exactly what you need to do. Ride or, better yet, get behind the wheel of the types you're considering. To me, it's an easy choice. I want all of the boost I'm paying for whenever I hit the go pedal. At 7 to 8psi, there's little or no difference in peak power centri vs P/D. If someone tells you there's a big difference, they're either ignorant or trying to sell you something. Centri's rule when the boost gets higher. P/D's rule at mild boost levels....plain and simple.

Before anyone's panties get bunched, I'm not saying centri's aren't capable of making great power. That's not what is being discussed here. 7 to 8 psi on a street machine.....What a YSI does at 15psi is very impressive. If I wanted those boost/power levels, that would be my choice. I don't and I'm guessing the OP doesn't either.

Last edited by old motorhead; 04-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l99, maggie, procharger, supercharger, whipple