Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Camaro SS (LS3) 2010-2012 vs Pontiac GTO (M6) 2005-2006

Alright guys, I know this has been beat to death worse than a dead horse, but maybe this will Throw a new spin. Some of you may know, I am a avid fane of the GTO's, former owner. Also an avid lover of anything LSX powered. Im more of less looking into a cost and performance analysis. Its almost time to buy, Turn of the Year. Im considering tracking down a low mileage GTO or a low mileage 2SS. Prices are reasonable from what I can find between the two, low mileage Goats being a lot rarer. Im not as much concerned with making power, either Engine, LS2 or LS3 will deliver but loads of goodness with the right mods. Im trying analyze how each platform will handle the power. I know of the GTO's week links first hand as I corrected most of them ($$$$$$$) such as wheel hop, suspension, custom fit rims to stick a 285 out back (Extremely tight fit) and the just the krapiness of the stock suspension, any goat owner former or current can attest to that. Now with the Camaro Market taking a dump (sorry guys) probably from the high production number and the facelift, its a very viable consideration. I want 500rwhp relatively soon after the buy. That's much easier to do on the SS, heads, cam, bolt ons your there. as with the goat you usually fall a little short with that setup. My personal feelings, although partial to the goat, a low mileage one runs 18k-23k still (under 20k miles) and 2ss's can be had for 25-30k (15k miles or less) even with the lower sticker price of the car, after dumping the cash into the platform itself to make it handle to increased power optimally I would have been better off going with the SS at a cost point versus performance. Less to replace or upgrade on the SS to have it perform well with that power level. Both look good in my opinion, im just trying to minimize cost and hassle of things I could avoid, considering both cars are in my reach. I have also thought of an extremely high mileage goat, dirt cheap, pulling the engine and dropping a built to my spec long block 427 or 429 in. But that would also warrant excessive upgrades and replacement parts due to wear and tear and the considerable power increase. Including complete and total drivetrain overhaul/replacement on top of the normal weaknesses I would have to correct in order to handle the power output optimally. So what I would like from you guys is your opinion on my choices, your experiences from upgrading your Camaro, and vs upgrading your GTO if applicable. What it took to resolve wheelhop, when your clutch starting slipping etc. Just looking for some personal experience as this is not a bench racing or gonna race my buddy thread, but still a "versus" thread, just with a different spin on it! Thanks in advance for helping my planning phase, I hope to have the Car decided on, list of mods, and a general path to take in this journey within the next few months before I pull the trigger on my new project/baby!
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
I had a new 05 GTO - many of the problems that you described including piston slap at 5k and oil useage at 50k and breaking the trans(auto) at 48k. I loved the idea of the car, there were too many problems to justify keeping it. The camaro is a better choice especially considering that it still can come with a warranty before you mod it.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Where are you getting your numbers that show that the Camaro Market is taking a dump?
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
Where are you getting your numbers that show that the Camaro Market is taking a dump?
Ive been researching for a few months and Ive seen prices steadily drop by around a 5k average, haven't recorded various prices over time and actually analyzed, just going by what ive seen, 4 months ago used 2SS was holding at 28k-35k for a low mileage car. Now its closer to 25k to 31k. Steals out there, cars with less than 10k on the clock for less than 30k sticker. A lot of the cars sitting on the lot 6 months or longer. In my local area prices are holding steady In the low 30k range with slightly used 12's and 13's holding at 35k - close to new msrp. Im doing my homework but I haven't analyzed and put together a spreadsheet and data logged my findings. Not like Im in marketing, just personal research. The sources I have used include local area dealers websites, autotrader, cars.com, and car gurus. Keep in mind this is for a 2ss M6, not a vert, or 1ss. I have seen a very few low mileage 1ss for under 25k. Havent even looked at vert prices, not interested in them. Also, a slightly used 2ss with under 20k on the clock wont have much of a price difference than one with 35-45k on the clock.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar View Post
I had a new 05 GTO - many of the problems that you described including piston slap at 5k and oil useage at 50k and breaking the trans(auto) at 48k. I loved the idea of the car, there were too many problems to justify keeping it. The camaro is a better choice especially considering that it still can come with a warranty before you mod it.
I never had piston slap or excessive oil useage, never even got a lot in my catch can. Im going to agree with you that the Camaro is a better choice as it can still have a warranty, not much more expensive than a low mileage goat, and a considerably newer car. Sorry you had such a bad experience, I agree the Idea of the car was amazing, but should of done a little R&D before just rebadging it and shipping it from down under.