Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #43
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
First,

John...I thank you very much for bringing this to light as we've all been wondering what GM's stance was on the issue. I DO appreciate the clarification, the reassurance that any problems would get fixed, and informing us of the FACT that the issue "of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance").

I honestly DO feel safe driving my 2010 Camaro SS and am NOT concerned about pulling out into traffic having a lingering fear of a part breaking thus causing me to get T-boned....because, technically (and I'm just saying), ANY part could fail on the car (not that it's going to)causing the car to stop dead in its tracks....heck...it's a MANUAL...and I could technically STALL the car when pulling out causing me to get T-boned (or even maybe struck from behind)...but, I know that the chances of that happening are minimal...and maybe even "under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). No need to worry...I won't ask to have my manual transmission replaced by a brand new automatic...

And all at once, we take a deep breath......( take that deep breath now...)......let it out....and say, "wooooo sahhhhhhhhhhh."

Very good.

Now...let's all go back to our regularly scheduled programming.

....yes....hit the "new posts" button, please. NOW!!!
I'm not worried about those things as much anymore either. I was just responding to mtcwby's demeaning post that diminished all of our efforts in getting this response from GM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #44
67ss&99ss
Andy

Drives: a few muscle cars
It would be nice to know how the broken shafts failed. Whether they failed in fatigue or if there were stress concentrations in the shaft due to metallurgical or machining issues that caused a premature failure.
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|Posi
1999 Camaro SS: Longtubes|True Duals|Lid|LS6|TT2s

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #45
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Hate to have it brake when you trying to put a woop-ass on a Mustang! Just another reason to get L99!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #46
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
And I do wonder how many had been using or had used launch control before. To me reving up to 4K and dumping the clutching and hoping the computer controls it is scary. I do not think you should ever go over 2500-3000 and dump the clutch.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #47
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Dragoneye,

Thanks for the e-mail I was not aware of this I don't see this happening to my car. It's always better to know what is going on.

TB77
Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #48
Allentown
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Durango/2008 Versa/2011 5.0
In defense, redline clutch dumping in first gear is just the kind of bone head move that could damage ANY car, not just a camaro. Having said that, i can "redline clutch dump" when shifting from first to second gear in my Mustang GT all day long (i too have a 100,000 mile warranty)..lol

Joking aside though, i think asking about saftey is a fair concern. My 05 Mustang used to stall out FOR NO REASON, when casually and slowly to moderately taking off from a dead stop, it was an automatic. The dealership service department was NEVER able to replicate this and they said there was NO infromation from Ford on the issue.

Yet, it happend to me on 4 occassions, once in the middle of rush hour traffic when i got stopped on the freeway with other cars running up my a$$, and on one occassion i was left dead in the road pulling out from a stop sign with a Full Semi -tractor & trailer bearing down on my drivers side door.....LUCKILY...i had plenty of room (as i didnt just pull out in front of the guy) and fortunately the car had JUST enough inertia to coast out the way...other wise, id have been a dead driver and they probably would have just assumed "driver error"... I eventually got it fixed visa someone putting disel in the car and a $900.00 gas tank, fuel line, and spark plug cleaning....it never happened again and i was actually glad my sister found a way to get it fixed as i was VERY concerned about being t boned. (note this was the ONLY issue i ever had with that car and since it was technically a screw up that fixed an "undiagnosed" problem i never counted it as a repair technically).

Now, imagine some kid pulling out in front OF TRAFFIC visa a HARD launch and then..boom no power....THAT IS A VALID SAFTEY CONCERN i dont care WHAT YOU SAY. Take from someone who knows the feeling..it is not good.

Ok so back on topic, if they say its not a concern its not a concern. However, my "stalling" problem would have been "not a concern" by Ford also (as they denied there was even an issue..it didn't even send a signal to the on board diagnostic computer when it happened)...but i can tell you from personal experience...when THE POOR SOB WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE ONE IT HAPPENS TO IS YOU....IT IS A HUGE "CONCERN". I don't think trashing the guy who brought this up is good edicate but then again, you have to look at the source of the trashing as well.

Last edited by Allentown; 12-03-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: content
Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #49
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Well, it seems they are saying it's not as big an issue as earlier thought...but still may be a minor problem, and if so will be covered under warranty..... which is ok for most, but what about us low mileage/ nice weather drivers.
In all honesty, I would've liked to see an extended warranty applied in this case...as I am one of those guys who'll have maybe, 15-20k miles on my car by the end of the 5 yr period.
It is nice to hear that it isn't as bad as earlier thought...but it's still there.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #50
Marc NY
GM Powered!

Drives: SSR & An SS Camaro Next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I'm not worried about those things as much anymore either ...
After a while these continued "repetitive" rants and explainations of "why" become over kill!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #51
advfire

Drives: 2010 SS Black
my question is this following:

With myself pushing for the 650hp point and knowing i won't have a warrenty to fall back on to. what part of the drive shaft is failing. What point should i be looking at knowing that i may need to put some attetion towards it.

I think very highly of GM and understand there stand and completely aggree with it.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #52
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Dragoneye, thank you for your technical observation and recommendation regarding the subject matter. I hope camaro5.com will live forever!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #53
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfire View Post
my question is this following:

With myself pushing for the 650hp point and knowing i won't have a warrenty to fall back on to. what part of the drive shaft is failing. What point should i be looking at knowing that i may need to put some attetion towards it.

I think very highly of GM and understand there stand and completely aggree with it.
Its not the driveshaft. Its the tailshaft of the transmission....the shaft that the driveshaft connects to.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #54
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I understand, what John means is the probability of it happening under normal driving conditions are low for it occurring if you have a defective one. He even furthers it by saying it stays the same under extreme driving conditions. So Woot, what you are saying is that even if there was a way to test it, they wouldn't bother? I think that if somebody does get hurt because of this, and there was a way to test it out, then they might step in and do more than their current position if the NHTSA gets involved like they did with the Ford suffering total drivetrain failures and such. It would be nice for the dealers to know about John's message as they still can deny the claim in fear that GM won't cover the repairs. A post in a forum is not official to the dealers as much as we would like it to be.
If you are doing redline clutch dumps into traffic, then I think you are the safety concern....not the tailshaft. Don't do it and there won't be a problem.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #55
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
Guys!! this is very relaxing for the US customers!! What about customers outside the US!! If the transmission breaks down it gonna take months and months until they fix it!! I don't find this answer helpful by anyway!!!! :(
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #56
chipsf16

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
I can't find the vin range for this issue, or is it now all LS3's?
Borla Cat Back

Closed Thread