Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyrSS View Post
Question: If I were to get only one thing done tomorrow what would increase power more on a stock car the ADM CAI or the SCT Tune at Jannetty? I am waking up at 4am to get there and want to make up my mind any help or input would be great. Thanks
This is just my opinion.

I would go with the intake. I would also go with the "race" version if you have the funds. You might even be able to upgrade the "street" version to the "race" version down the road.I'm not completely sure about the differences between the "street" and "race" version, but I think the race version collects cooler air with some sort of extra attachment (maybe a small part of the car needs to be cut).

The intake won't void your warranty because realistically you could always put the stock intake back in if you have to go to the dealer. Plus, the ADM "street" intake won't throw any codes to my knowledge. Not sure about the "race" version.

An identifying marker of some kind will be left with any kind of aftermarket tune, so I highly would not suggest potentially voiding your warranty for the relatively small amount of power gain that a canned tune can provide.

Intakes sound good, so that's a plus. But, if you change the exhaust, depending on the system you get, there may be some increased drone because of the presence of the intake.

Realistically, the stock Camaro intake does pretty well. It's not horrible at all. And I've seen tests where it performed very close to some popular aftermarket intakes.

That said, I had a Halltech intake and I really loved it. But if I were to do it again (and I was willing to get a tune if necessary) the only intake I would get would be one that collects the air from as far outside the engine bay as possible. Hot air is no good and there is plenty of it under the Camaro hood.

Another intake that does very well at combating IAT's is the Cold Air Inductions brand. They did well in their design.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy the new mod, whichever one it is that you choose.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
For some, money may be an issue. Maybe the op only wants to spend a certain amount tomorrow and then maybe a little more down the road. That plan works too. Yes, the headers tune and cai go well together but that's pricey.
It really is. But if you want the power and sound, that's the recipe right there.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
JohnnyrSS

Drives: 2011 Black SS
I have a 6 speed and I worried less about the warranty with the SCT tune after talking to a friend who works for chevy service. I want to do mods like cat back and intake, tune I don't know about headers as I can see that being a warranty issue for me. But other bolt on's also, I have a set limit I want to spend tomorrow and both together are just a touch out of range. I would go with another CAI but I want the best parts for the car so if I have to go there every week or two I will. Thank you for all the great feedback this is a great forum I am really glad I found it you are a good bunch of guys. Thanks
JohnnyrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
ADM race intake is a proven good intake. I love mine... My car made 412whp with the set up in my sig...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Get the JRE Street package, Jannetty Racing installed this package on mine and I absolutely love it, go to the New England forum and on page 3, i have three threads with awesome pics from the day I brought my Camaro there
Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
JohnnyrSS

Drives: 2011 Black SS
I went today and got the injen and the sct tune see my thread in the general section about my day at Jannetty it is a great place.
JohnnyrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Jojo

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 6M 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyrSS View Post
I went today and got the injen and the sct tune see my thread in the general section about my day at Jannetty it is a great place.
Ultimately, your happiness is what is important with your car. Smart move rsearching this forum. As far as warranty goes ( I know I'm going to get bashed a little for this but I am no expert but I do study business).

GM has experienced capital gaines with the recent quarter of stocks. However, they are beginning to concentrate heavily into the recent obssesion amongst American muscle/sport cars. Having said this, they are still concerned with saving money. Especially with FORD (whos gains are increasing faster) once again improving the Mustang (bad ass car I must say). Therefore, a lot of attention is geared toward the potential losses with warranty coverages on new vehicles. Most GM dealership shops have top of the line equipment for detecting vehicle manipulations. It is in their best interest to void warranties quickly in order to save money. The LS3 and L99 are proven engines so if you void your warranty I would not worry too much unless you do not understand the red #'s on your RPM gauge (just kidding of course). Seriously though, GM has already leaked that smaller high performance engines are in the future for their sports cars(outside of the upcoming Z28 - Sweet) and your kids will be driving electric/hybrid. Watch how expensive gas gets in the future - a way the economy will force people to buy hybrids.

So bottom line, get a tune (forget the warranty) optimize the car to your liking. Trust the experts on this site because they are proven camaro pros.

Sorry for the soap box. ENJOY YOUR CAMARO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:seesaw: