Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Dang, no activity on here lately

Geesh, in thirsting for some detailing information, I mean come onnnnnn!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
I think all advice on here automatically gets rejected and is argued that it is wrong.

For instance is dawn soap safe on paint? people argue about this all the time on here.

I Learned that you can clay with soapy water a few people rejected the idea. Actually was shown this by the creator of the Ammo detailing product line.

Someone polished out their car in an hour and everyone starts going crazy!!!!! Bashing him.

A lot of people on here think they are the greatest detailers in the world lol its hard for everyone to share their oppinion when everyone has their own perfect way of detailing.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
I think all advice on here automatically gets rejected and is argued that it is wrong.

For instance is dawn soap safe on paint? people argue about this all the time on here.

I Learned that you can clay with soapy water a few people rejected the idea. Actually was shown this by the creator of the Ammo detailing product line.

Someone polished out their car in an hour and everyone starts going crazy!!!!! Bashing him.

A lot of people on here think they are the greatest detailers in the world lol its hard for everyone to share their oppinion when everyone has their own perfect way of detailing.
I agree, people need to just give and take. Give out your info and take what info other people offer, and process it. I just love all of the tips I get here. This is pretty much the only place of the forum that I go to any more. Everything else seems boring for some reason.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

I agree, I like the cosmetics section as well though. Other than that it is boring.

Not like it used to be.

I feel like it is a popularity contest over here. Luckily I drive a camaro though

I mean I have seen another member make fun of another members ethnicity on here, I dont know if thats like to try and be cool or something. Maybe trying to relive being in high school? Must have not went well for him im guessing.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
It might be because people are going through withdrawal from your #noclue thread

Code:
or because certain individuals are spying on what you say 
(they know who they are)

chicagobulls has a point, and I am guilty at that. Heck I used to bash Adams product left and right but I have long moved on plus I believe they have greatly improved their product.

As far as your clay bar thread goes as I was going to post there but I will mention it here, if you have a low concentration of soap say 1:8 it provides enough lube and won't break down the clay. There are even some detail sprays that will break down clay such as Dodo Juice Tropical Mist.

Although I think it would benefit if we had more meaningful posts on product reviews or daily detailing tips kinda like ihaveacamaro did with his Perl review for tires or what camarodreams had on his comprehensive guide.

I know I am currently doing a complete detail that I am breaking up into a series. That I hope to post soon, going from checking paint thickness to engine detail, to interior, polishing, different ways to wax that not many people do anymore and so on.

Now on the bashing, I know I am guilty, but sometimes I think we need to grow some thicker skin. However making fun of someone's ethnicity should be considered as a ban. Also I don't think people realize some post helpful items behind the scenes on private messages. Like the leather question thread. Yeah I posted the idiots guide to searching but I also contacted him via private message and helped him with his question.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Yeah Tecca right with you on that entire post.

Cant wait to watch that detailing series you are mentioning.

I have detailed many cars already, but I learn so much more from everyone and then incorporate their techniques which work for me into my own.

I washed clayed and sealed my mothers minivan. It took me about a good four hours top to bottom 2011 Honda Odyssey , now the swirls on that car were pretty bad. But there is a reason I didnt polish it, other than I didn't want to. My mom wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So why do it?

People On here care too much about their own oppinion and too little about the car owners oppinion. Being detailers we should know it is only the owners oppinion that matters.

If you charge a customer 700 dollars for a full detail and paint correction and the customer isnt happy with the difference for the money you lose... even though you may think the car is perfect, has no swirls and looks new. In the customers eyes that big payment wasnt worth the miniscule swirls removed that were only visible in the sun.

You Can keep thinking the customer was happy and everything and that you are a walking legend but you will soon see you wont be getting many calls back.

Now that same customer, if you had just done a clay and seal for 100 dollars he might have been ecstatic about the whole shebang and recomended you to their friends.

We have to understand that everyone has their own level of perfection on this forum. Some go through car washes every week(my friends). We all have our own perfection in detailing. Some higher some lower. There is nothing wrong with either. I would advise not calling the lower trash because that is not accurate.What works for me isnt gonna always work for everyone else and vice versa.

This is what i would say to someone if they told me they wash their car with a brillo pad: I love it ****ing washing your car like a boss. Do what you like and as long as your happy im happy for you. I would also say a wash mitt works great.

Everyone has their own car. They are old enough to wash their own car, without us bashing them.

Man I rant too much for a 20 year old.........

Last edited by chicagobulls; 06-15-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
We have to understand that everyone has their own level of perfection on this forum. Some go through car washes every week(my friends). We all have our own perfection in detailing. Some higher some lower. There is nothing wrong with either. I would advise not calling the lower trash because that is not accurate.What works for me isnt gonna always work for everyone else and vice versa.
Bingo.

I think I said as much in your clay post and as a collective I think it's always a good idea to remember to respectful of each others ideas, opinions and in here, techniques.

I'm not any kind of pro and you are right there are people who just don't know or care about the swirls in their paint. It's all a matter of what works for them on their cars that matters.

Now if you want to find out the right way, this is still a great resource if you're patient and can shift through the egos to get to the down and dirty basics of any the number of different detailing techniques.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

This is a forum for detailing enthusiasts. As an avid detailing "enthusiast", I will have my own opinion on products and techniques. Sometimes I will disagree with a technique and give my .02 sometimes I will just lurk and see what the opinions of others are.

I will always take all information as good information. I will never take it personally quite the opposite I value the spirit of debate and this forums ability to deliver a means where we can learn from one and all.

Occasionally we get some advice here from a true professional detailer. Not one who simply wishes to sell his products but one who corrects and instructs. I hope more chime in and don't feel that they have to be silent for fear of offense.

This is not the place to be silent, but a place for open discussion and a whole lot of fun.

Thats my .02

Best wishes to you all.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Wiss driver your right on!

This is a forum for everybody not just detailing enthusiasts. It does not say "detailing enthusiasts only"

Other than that I agree with everything charlietuna.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
I know,where are the detailing videos.summer is upon us and you would think more people would be getting their rides looking sharp for cruising.I got started on doing a more thorough detailing on my cars exactly 1 year ago,and everything I know has been learned from this site and the included links to videos and other info.I would like to hear from people who use Menzerna and other products that are hardly mentioned on here,I have been going to YouTube more for how to info since there is very little activity here now.I'm trying to reach that level of expertise so I can charge people for detailing,I've been doing freebies for practice and people have liked the results and I get tipped some decent money.My only problem is I'm not good at posting pix or video,and my kids won't show me how(lil devils)or I need some new tech that does it for me
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
As I stated before, we're dealing with a hobby that is manifested by chaos. There's variation and inconsistency in clear coat thickness, defect severity, polishing technique, washing technique, claying technique, clear coat softness/hardness, among dozens of other things among every single car and among every single enthusiast whether they're pro or not.

Honestly, detailing isn't rocket science, and save for all these borderline anal nuances (i.e. soap breaking down clay, washing the car with side to side strokes, or differences in 'depth' or 'warmth' amongst various waxes though TBH I can't tell a gah'damn difference between any of them), it's a pretty straightforward science once you get down the basics: two bucket wash, grit guards, soft microfibers, claybars, and don't overpolish a finish and remove unnecessary clearcoat. After that, it's finessing the technique. Any putz with enough of a drive can get out there and become a "detailer" if he has his ducks lined up. Look how "ooo'd and "aaaahhh'd" everyone on this board was when Adams first took its hold on the masses with their products and the PC. People were walking out in the heat of the sun (myself) and scored damn near professional results and were happy with their Camaros as pigs in mud.

As for the hostility here on the forum, IMO what works best for one person should be respected by others, since that's what works for them and that's what THEY like, which like chicagobulls said, is ALL that matters. However, when people make threads asking QUESTIONS, don't be surprised if you get answers, and also don't be surprised if they're answers you might not agree with as well as others. This is a forum afterall.

There are always going to be people who take any hobby more to heart than others, and those people are usually the ones with "egos", though for the most part a lot of those "egos" are well deserved because they usually belong to professionals. Me? I am no professional. I am a hobby detailer who just does a ton of research. I haven't even tried out much products because I don't see the point if I've already got a system that works. I'm just a guy with a black Camaro that likes it to look damn good, because I went through a TON of work to get it and I want to make sure it looks near new for its entire life.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
I know,where are the detailing videos.summer is upon us and you would think more people would be getting their rides looking sharp for cruising.I got started on doing a more thorough detailing on my cars exactly 1 year ago,and everything I know has been learned from this site and the included links to videos and other info.I would like to hear from people who use Menzerna and other products that are hardly mentioned on here,I have been going to YouTube more for how to info since there is very little activity here now.I'm trying to reach that level of expertise so I can charge people for detailing,I've been doing freebies for practice and people have liked the results and I get tipped some decent money.My only problem is I'm not good at posting pix or video,and my kids won't show me how(lil devils)or I need some new tech that does it for me
Incidentally, I have a video on how to post pictures to the camaro forum.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Too much butthurtedness goes on here for any useful knowledge transfer to occur.

You disagreed with my technique?? How DARE you?! You have a suggestion on how I could improve my technique based on years of experience of doing this every day? I REJECT that suggestion good sir, as I have been doing this for at least 2 months and have watched many videos on the internet, thus making me a detailing deity above reproach.

There are a few people on here that need to grow up and realize that people aren't always going to agree. Shit, I learn something new EVERY day about this stuff and modify my approach as a result and I'll be the first to admit I don't know 1/10th of what I wish I did.

The definition of "bashing" amongst the hyper-sensitive C5 "detailers" is extremely broad and includes anything EXCEPT "I completely agree with you. I've never heard such a great idea and I will now go carve it into granite so that your words will forever resonate for posterity. I can only hope that I have enough time I erect a statue in your honor for such a useful tip."

The only time I would ever actually "bash" any idea is if it was plainly WRONG, and could be harmful if people took it as fact. I don't do this with matters of opinion, only matters of fact. You CANNOT polish a car in 45 minutes. Can't. Sorry, it's just not chemically or physically possible based on working times for necessary correction and amount of surface area. I said you can clay with soap, I never bashed you. I said it's not the best way to do it.

Get real. This place has been going downhill for a long time. It's almost to the bottom.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Too much butthurtedness goes on here for any useful knowledge transfer to occur.

You disagreed with my technique?? How DARE you?! You have a suggestion on how I could improve my technique based on years of experience of doing this every day? I REJECT that suggestion good sir, as I have been doing this for at least 2 months and have watched many videos on the internet, thus making me a detailing deity above reproach.

There are a few people on here that need to grow up and realize that people aren't always going to agree. Shit, I learn something new EVERY day about this stuff and modify my approach as a result and I'll be the first to admit I don't know 1/10th of what I wish I did.

The definition of "bashing" amongst the hyper-sensitive C5 "detailers" is extremely broad and includes anything EXCEPT "I completely agree with you. I've never heard such a great idea and I will now go carve it into granite so that your words will forever resonate for posterity. I can only hope that I have enough time I erect a statue in your honor for such a useful tip."

The only time I would ever actually "bash" any idea is if it was plainly WRONG, and could be harmful if people took it as fact. I don't do this with matters of opinion, only matters of fact. You CANNOT polish a car in 45 minutes. Can't. Sorry, it's just not chemically or physically possible based on working times for necessary correction and amount of surface area. I said you can clay with soap, I never bashed you. I said it's not the best way to do it.

Get real. This place has been going downhill for a long time. It's almost to the bottom.
Are you talking about this subforum or the entire C5 forum, because a case can be made for the latter.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote