Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
and the my SS is better than your ZL1 posts are beginning! j/k but you know they are coming.
At least in that case, the SS has a far better chance of besting a ZL1 than the older V6 vs V8 threads... /kidding
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
oh, but what do i hear coming around the corner-wait for it-yes, a supercharger for the V6 with 435 h.p.!!!could make life a little funner-if that is even a word?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Plus, at least for me, its no fun buying something already done. I'd rather enjoy the build process even if it costs a bit more. I can say I built it, others can say they bought it.
Quote:
For me its therapeutic and gets me alone time in the garage when I need it. Luckily I'm moving some place warmer next year so I won't freeze to death working on it 4 months out of the year.
Couldn't agree more. Wrenching is my "me time." Some guys have a man cave and what not, I have a garage bay and a wall of tools. Then of course the hot girl & car monthly calendar, but I figured that was a given.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
sed34

Drives: a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With the anticipated $20,000 in price difference you can easily build a Camaro SS that will best the ZL1.
Quote:
I think an SS can be upgraded to outperform the ZL1 easily if not cheaply. It may not be cost effective but you can recoup costs if you sell your stock short block and rear diff if you're going all out.

Plus, at least for me, its no fun buying something already done. I'd rather enjoy the build process even if it costs a bit more. I can say I built it, others can say they bought it.
when you guys say "easily" what do you mean? do you mean it will blow away the zl1 with a 5 min track time? I don't think it will blow away the ZL1 to the degree some of you are saying. Also, what's missing from this conversation is the fact you are comparing heavily modified SS to a stock zl1. what happens when the zl1 gets modified? Its going to be a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
At this point in my life I'm more interested in spending time driving rather than turning wrenches. Therefore, I'll purchase the finished product.
for a project car I feel the same way. I'm not trying to redo the ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
and the my SS is better than your ZL1 posts are beginning! j/k but you know they are coming.
yep. There will be a lot of that.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by sed34 View Post
when you guys say "easily" what do you mean? do you mean it will blow away the zl1 with a 5 min track time? I don't think it will blow away the ZL1 to the degree some of you are saying. Also, what's missing from this conversation is the fact you are comparing heavily modified SS to a stock zl1. what happens when the zl1 gets modified? Its going to be a different story.
I never said blow it away. Outperforming a car that costs 20k more can be done. All it takes is parts, time and money. If you have those then yes its easy; I never said to what degree. Both cars are on the same platform and both can be modified identically if one so desires and therefore they both have the same potential for performance. So who cares which is faster stock or with xx parts. I would hope its more performance for $20k more and I know it would cost more to replace perfectly good factory parts with upgraded units. There's always someone faster and always someone with a better car. The question was can it be done; yes it can and thats what my response was. Everything else is just a my model/car/make is better than yours b.s. Get over it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #34
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With the anticipated $20,000 in price difference you can easily build a Camaro SS that will best the ZL1.

And let's not forget the creepy ADM! There will even be enough left over for a winter beater. What will be missing is the badges and the warranty.