Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
You know.. this has always bugged me.. that rear was perfectly fine for the way the car came from the factory.

It's not GM's responsibility to over-engineer parts so that people can run slicks, add blowers, or do other changes to the car.

I found it fascinating that someone would add slicks, toss on a 200 shot of nitrous and then complain that the "crappy" rear blew apart. lol
ive blown 10bolts on street tires with only a CAI on the car.

but looking at it from GM's pov at the time, it was a cheap and easy rear to throw in the car that would not be destroyed by 90% of the buyers for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I disagree.

I understand not having to engineer stock parts for people with FI, nitrous, etc in mind, but SLICKS? Come on now, there are countless horror stories on ls1tech about people blowing up their rear ends on sticky tires and STOCK POWER. There are also a few about DONUTS on street tires killing 10 bolts. The way I see it, durability involves the purposeful over engineering of a wear item. The fourth gen wasn't an economy commuter car - why would they design a rear end that could juuuuust barely handle 300-350hp on street tires?

axle flex is a bitch. but you dont hear about the numerous people who HAVENT blown their rears. also, how many miles are on the rears of the cars getting the rear blown over on tech? how many passes down the track?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
CamaroFan1

Drives: Camaro
If you were GM, or Tremec, what incentive would you have to rate the trans above the maximum HP of the car? Now, if you add an sc or other mods, they just say the trans was not rated for that HP to get out of warranting the repair.
CamaroFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
axle flex is a bitch. but you dont hear about the numerous people who HAVENT blown their rears. also, how many miles are on the rears of the cars getting the rear blown over on tech? how many passes down the track?
Haha, perhaps 'tech was a bad example - enthusiasts are far more likely to blow the rear than your average joe nutsack.

That being said, age and mileage can be a factor, but I was in highschool (graduated '99) when the fourth gens were new and I heard about rear end problems then.

...I say "heard about" because I was still walking to school. With zero ladies. I was pretty metal.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
These trannies are fine. The only thing I've been told by guys in the know is not to power shift them while the rear tires are spinning.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Agreed. Don't believe us? Search Trannies on Google.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Agreed. Don't believe us? Search Trannies on Google.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
These trannies are fine. The only thing I've been told by guys in the know is not to power shift them while the rear tires are spinning.
Yes.. it's the price we pay for a very smooth trans.

The death knel is if you do a first gear burnout and then, while the car is stationary, you shift to second. That little deal is VERY hard on the tranny.

I was told to just start in second if you HAVE to do this.

Second just can't take that hit..

It's different if the car is moving..

We road raced and autocrossed a 2010 a couple of weeks ago and the trans work flawlessly.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #22
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
I disagree.

I understand not having to engineer stock parts for people with FI, nitrous, etc in mind, but SLICKS? Come on now, there are countless horror stories on ls1tech about people blowing up their rear ends on sticky tires and STOCK POWER. There are also a few about DONUTS on street tires killing 10 bolts. The way I see it, durability involves the purposeful over engineering of a wear item. The fourth gen wasn't an economy commuter car - why would they design a rear end that could juuuuust barely handle 300-350hp on street tires?
That's because you don't hear about all the people that didn't break there rear ends. lol

Hey, they were the weak links in the chain, but again, it's not GMs job to make the car stand up to drag racing and certainly not doing donuts.. lol

It's the same reason they didn't come painted (and thus rusted).. because it saved GM a few bucks and let them give you Corvette performance at Camaro prices.

2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
That's because you don't hear about all the people that didn't break there rear ends. lol

Hey, they were the weak links in the chain, but again, it's not GMs job to make the car stand up to drag racing and certainly not doing donuts.. lol

It's the same reason they didn't come painted (and thus rusted).. because it saved GM a few bucks and let them give you Corvette performance at Camaro prices.
Haha, fair enough. Good writeup in your mag last issue, BTW...or was that two issues ago?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Haha, perhaps 'tech was a bad example - enthusiasts are far more likely to blow the rear than your average joe nutsack.

That being said, age and mileage can be a factor, but I was in highschool (graduated '99) when the fourth gens were new and I heard about rear end problems then.

...I say "heard about" because I was still walking to school. With zero ladies. I was pretty metal.
in '99, 4th gens were already 6 years old lol. but I know what you're saying. but with those cars you were hearing about, how many were running slicks? power adders etc? the 10 bolt was a POS from the start. it was made to deal with the power the car made, but once you start dead hooking, they dont last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Haha, fair enough. Good writeup in your mag last issue, BTW...or was that two issues ago?
The new issue just came out so it's two ago.. they all start to blend together at some point. Thanks though!

I have a 2010 in my garage right now.. it's mine to mod for four months. After spending some time behind the wheel I really like it. Good solid performer. I can't wait to start modding it.

And it did real well against other cars at the road track and autocross.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #26
EVS Motors Inc.

Drives: '69 Camaro Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
do you think GM is going to put a transmission in there that can juuuuuuuuuuuuust barely support the existing power of the motor?
Yes they do, ask the Vette guys. Not necessarily just the tranny, but the driveshafts and diffs love breaking.
EVS Motors Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #27
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVS Motors Inc. View Post
Yes they do, ask the Vette guys. Not necessarily just the tranny, but the driveshafts and diffs love breaking.
Don't bother man, the Vette guys will all deny it.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #28
wavrun2000
o come on

Drives: 06 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Don't bother man, the Vette guys will all deny it.
It is going to be hard for them to considering most all M6 Vettes have to get a new tranny at 100k. Take my dads for example at 110k it took its last breath. It is not necessarily the tranny in the vette, it's the long input shaft that put unnecessary wear on the syncros. It is a fact of life with rear mounted trannies.
wavrun2000 is offline   Reply With Quote