Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Maybe just go to 12:1 as a first pass.

Here's my thinking on an ideal NA V6 strip car.
  • Raise compression to about 12.5:1
  • Go with lightweight rods and pistons
  • Balance the rotating assembly to perfection
  • Custom cam for peak HP in the 7500-7800 range
  • Replace the valve springs/retainers
  • Minimum 3600 stall
  • Tune and move the rev limiter to 8000 RPM

Let that baby spin up and go.
I really like this. Would be a real beast on the high end, but I'm guessing wouldn't have as much "guts" down low as stock, or am I wrong there.

So here is a noobish question, but is raising the compression basically done by using different pistons with a different dome profile, or is there more needed to just simply raise compression?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I really like this. Would be a real beast on the high end, but I'm guessing wouldn't have as much "guts" down low as stock, or am I wrong there.

So here is a noobish question, but is raising the compression basically done by using different pistons with a different dome profile, or is there more needed to just simply raise compression?

well the 3600 stall or higher will help keep the thing away from the low end.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

You should be able to raise the CR via changes to the piston dome, changing bore/stroke or shaving the heads. I would personally stay with stock displacement and just do the pistons.

The problem with low-end torque in a 60* V6 is that there really isn't much you can do. The 90* V6 they put in trucks are much better because of the air flow at low RPMs, but they are terribly hard to balance so they usually can't rev very high and don't produce high peak HP. You can gain some peak TQ in our engines via longer intake runners and stroking it, but you will never see the kind of torque you see in a 90* engine. The best way to get low-end torque in our engines is to force air into them. But we should be able to increase the peak HP a lot (IMHO). You can get around the lack of low-end TQ (and HP) by stalling it up. I think we haven't seen much gains from torque converters on our cars is that they aren't stalled high enough. The ones we've seen as supposedly 3600 stalls were actually closer to 3200 (at least mine was). That's not keeping us in the optimal power band like it should. A real 3600 stall will probably see some benefit (especially on a stroked engine like Jason is talking about), but if you stayed stock displacement I would go with a 4000.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I guess I am not a big motor head when it comes to building engines. I have have only stripped a couple of them down and reassembled them in my lifetime but that is about it. Now, when you are mentioning what goes into raising the compression and building custom pistons I would gather a person has to consider into the design of the piston the valve clearance to achieve the 12:1 or 12.5:1 ratio. The other thing that comes to mind with this engine is the VVT system and how will that react to the changes.

It is cool what you are thinking about doing and I look forward to your findings on what you can squeeze out of this engine.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I guess I am not a big motor head when it comes to building engines. I have have only stripped a couple of them down and reassembled them in my lifetime but that is about it. Now, when you are mentioning what goes into raising the compression and building custom pistons I would gather a person has to consider into the design of the piston the valve clearance to achieve the 12:1 or 12.5:1 ratio. The other thing that comes to mind with this engine is the VVT system and how will that react to the changes.

It is cool what you are thinking about doing and I look forward to your findings on what you can squeeze out of this engine.

Dean.
You should be able to change the cr without touching the side with the valve reliefs. This is a picture of my 10:1 pistons (left) and the stock pistons (right). Notice the reliefs stayed the same, we just lowered the rest of the dome. To increase the cr you would just raise the dome.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1395267166246.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  56.2 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Would you be able to keep the 11.5:1 (or even 11:1) CR if you went with the bored out route and then FI?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #21
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Would you be able to keep the 11.5:1 (or even 11:1) CR if you went with the bored out route and then FI?
Jason should check my result, but it looks like going from 94mm to 97mm would raise the cr to about 12.2. If that's correct, you can easily get that .7 back on the piston. I dropped mine 1.5 and there is some more that can come off before you lose the affect of bouncing fuel off the top and onto the walls for good mixture with the air.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 03-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #22
DSX_Camaro

We could hit 300whp N/A so easily with this, it feels like cheating... So bore to 3.8L and then blow it and bring it down to 11.5-11... If this pans out the SS folks will have something to talk about.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 03-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
the thing here is cost. what would all this roughly cost? i couldnt see spending 10k to get to 300whp N/A...at that cost it would be wiser IMHO to trade up to an SS.

there is the cost of the sleeves, boring the block, buying the pistons, having the machined if you want to lower compression....could get expensive quick unless you can do most of the work yourself.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
DSX_Camaro

I like my 31mpg highway, honestly. It kinda matters to me. And others that got the 6 for the same reason.

If you want the flipside, before I got my RS I considered a 2SS/RS 1LE... yeah...
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #25
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Maybe just go to 12:1 as a first pass.

Here's my thinking on an ideal NA V6 strip car.
  • Raise compression to about 12.5:1
  • Go with lightweight rods and pistons
  • Balance the rotating assembly to perfection
  • Custom cam for peak HP in the 7500-7800 range
  • Replace the valve springs/retainers
  • Minimum 3600 stall
  • Tune and move the rev limiter to 8000 RPM
Let that baby spin up and go.

Sounds GREAT.............and $$$$.

For all that I might as well have an SS and a few mods.

Don't get me wrong, would love to see it come to the market, but it won't be for me either.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
i would be much more interested in cheaper/smaller mods to add some more HP to the car.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #27
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Sounds GREAT.............and $$$$.

For all that I might as well have an SS and a few mods.

Don't get me wrong, would love to see it come to the market, but it won't be for me either.
I think you can do this sticking to 3.6L for about $4-5K once all the R&D is done. Of course, it all depends on interest and potential sales volume. Boring/Stroking will be more, but I would still like to see someone give it a try. A 3.9L setup like this would probably give most stock V8s a lot of trouble at the strip.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Jason should check my result, but it looks like going from 94mm to 97mm would raise the cr to about 12.2. If that's correct, you can easily get that .7 back on the piston. I dropped mine 1.5 and there is some more that can come off before you lose the affect of bouncing fuel off the top and onto the walls for good mixture with the air.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
12.2 sounds good. I wouldn't touch a thing to try and drop it back down.

Quote:
A 3.9L setup like this would probably give most stock V8s a lot of trouble at the strip.
I can see offset grinding the crank to 1.850" (Honda journal size) to gain about .175" of stroke... Of course custom rods will be needed... I think it would be find for an NA application, NASCAR, and circle track guys run that small journal all day long at 8k+ rpms... Going with this stroke, and a 98mm max bore would yield a 4.1. Going with 97mm bore would yield a 4.0.

I guess would really needs to be looked at, is will the head gasket take a piston that big, or would custom gaskets be needed also?

Just by offset grinding the crank to a Honda journal size, it would bump the engine up to a 3.8L (just barely, it would actually be about 3751.9 ccs , or 3.75L).

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 03-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote