Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
question about ordering

ok, so ive been following this site for about a month now, and i keep seeing these links that say "track/follow your camaro order", and my question is, and keep in mind im only 18, dont own my own car, know anything about insurance/legal stuff thats involved with a car purchase, and i dont even have a license, but how exactly do you order a camaro? dont you buy cars from a local dealership, not requiring you to follow it since you know where its at? my only thought is that you can go to a dealership and request exactly what you want your camaro to be. if someone could give me insight to this, it would be much appreciated. again, please excuse my lack of age and experience in life and vehicles
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
matt787

Drives: 2LT RS M6 CGM IO interior!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
ok, so ive been following this site for about a month now, and i keep seeing these links that say "track/follow your camaro order", and my question is, and keep in mind im only 18, dont own my own car, know anything about insurance/legal stuff thats involved with a car purchase, and i dont even have a license, but how exactly do you order a camaro? dont you buy cars from a local dealership, not requiring you to follow it since you know where its at? my only thought is that you can go to a dealership and request exactly what you want your camaro to be. if someone could give me insight to this, it would be much appreciated. again, please excuse my lack of age and experience in life and vehicles

welcome to the site! What you can do is "build" your own Camaro on GM's website, optioned just the way you want. Then you take that to a Chevy dealer that has "open allocation" to place your order into the computer system. It's then "accepted" by GM and built at the factory a few weeks later, and shipped to the dealer. That is a happy day... It's best to find a dealer selling them at MSRP (not selling it for thousands over sticker price), and with a low deposit (usually 500-1000 is typical, to place your order and not sell it out from under you to someone else willing to pay lots more when it comes in). Some dealers have a few on the lot, most do not. Those that do will probably mark it up overcharging people, it's called an "availabilty charge" or some other BS. Next year they will be a lot more on the lot to choose from without having to order and wait, but a lot of ppl want a rare combo and ordering and waiting is the only way to get exactly what you want. Hope you can have one someday dude!!
2000 = Accepted By GM: 8/4/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 8/5/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 8/21/09, TPW 8/31
3400 = Broadcast: 8/27/09
3800 = Produced:
9/3/09
6000 = Delivered to Customer 9/21/09
matt787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
First, welcome to the forum.

As far as ordering a Camaro...

#1- find a dealer that doesn't start off by giving you a tube of vaseline and telling you about a "market adjustment" on the price. There are many dealers who are at MSRP and below.

#2- make sure the dealer you choose has ALLOCATION. That means, Chevy actually will allow him to order the car. Many dealers don't have any allocation left; they can take and process the order but until GM "gives them the opportunity" (allocates a vehicle to them) to actually submit the order for production, nothing will happen. You can't sell apples if the farmer won't give you any.

#3- RESEARCH exactly what you want and know before you step foot into a dealer. Do you want a V6? V8? Leather and all the goodies? Stripes?

#4 Build the car on chevy.com to be sure you know what MSRP (window sticker price) should be.

That's really all there is to ordering it. Keep in mind that most people have traditionally simply gone to a dealer and bought a car off the lot; not so in this case. Now as far as when/why to track it? The average dealer is going to tell you somewhere between 8-10 weeks for delivery. That 8-10 weeks becomes something that drives most people crazy in the interim. You'll want to call your dealer a couple times a week to see if your car's EVENT CODE (built status) has changed- that'll drive them nuts. That's why you see threads here like the one from "The Viz" where he updates your event code for you when you request it or the "built and bayed" thread by Larry (2010 SS RS) that sends you to www.camarotracking.com once your car has been built and you have a VIN, to track the delivery from the factory to your dealer.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

oh wow thats pretty sweet, i had no idea it would as easy as it sounds, but ill have to look into it a little more. thanks for filling me in
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Welcome to the site! You're starting the right way by gathering info and doing your homework.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
Welcome to the site! You're starting the right way by gathering info and doing your homework.
yea ive been really looking into stuff, im really excited now that i know i can get my camaro exactly as i want it...now i think i might consult my mom to see if i can get a chunk of money for a good down payment...might pull the "graduation gift" card