Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #29
GARYSSS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS M6 Rally Yellow
I just had the wifes Malibu oil changed, the first one was free from dealer. When I pulled in he ask what monitor was on, I said 43%. He said your not ready yet, we prefer 20 or less. I said, manual says monitor or 1 year, it's been a year, he said ok and they changed it.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Looks like the one year is the easy way to just get it changed. It also says if the monitor is accidentally reset to change after 3k. I wonder if that would be covered under the 2yr / 24k plan
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #31
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
I understand where the dealer is coming from saying 15 or 20%...but once you put your foot down they should just get it done...it's just good customer service at that point.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
If its your money they want you to change your oil by the old standards, if its their money they want you to go with the oil life monitor as close as possible.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #33
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If its your money they want you to change your oil by the old standards, if its their money they want you to go with the oil life monitor as close as possible.
Lol very true. They were quick to offer me an oil change for $62. Then when I got it changed free anyway I look up and the board above me says "lube, oil, filter, $30.95" no vehicle stipulations, or some vehicles may be extra clause.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
Lol very true. They were quick to offer me an oil change for $62. Then when I got it changed free anyway I look up and the board above me says "lube, oil, filter, $30.95" no vehicle stipulations, or some vehicles may be extra clause.
I would say the $30.95 was conventional oil, the $62 was for synthetic.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
Quikzilver

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS,1970 Camaro RS/SS
I work for a local Buick/GMC dealer here in South Florida. I am their Internal Service Advisor (deal with used and new cars...very limited dealing with public). While GM does state to the dealership that the oil life needs to be below 15% or 1 year since it was done, get to know your advisor. If they know you, they can work around the 15%. By the way, this is the same with a lot of manufacturers. I was at a Honda dealership before (yuck) and it was policy...20% less or 1 year for them.
Quikzilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #36
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post
I work for a local Buick/GMC dealer here in South Florida. I am their Internal Service Advisor (deal with used and new cars...very limited dealing with public). While GM does state to the dealership that the oil life needs to be below 15% or 1 year since it was done, get to know your advisor. If they know you, they can work around the 15%. By the way, this is the same with a lot of manufacturers. I was at a Honda dealership before (yuck) and it was policy...20% less or 1 year for them.
Well that's what I figured, all they would do is say oh yeah, it's at 15% alright.... But no. That would have been much too simple. I even bought the damn thing there. I'll just start going to a different dealer for service.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #37
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Some brilliant engineers came up with those oil requirements. Do you really think GM would try to kill your car by saying the oil would last that long? You don't require an oil change that early.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #38
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Some brilliant engineers came up with those oil requirements. Do you really think GM would try to kill your car by saying the oil would last that long? You don't require an oil change that early.
Those same brilliant engineers said to change it after a year. It had been a year. The Olm doesn't take into account age.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #39
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Change your oil yourself and don't reset the indicator. Then when it hits 15, go to the dealer for your free one
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #40
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
when I worked at NASA the guys in the QC Lab would o my change bier oil after looking for particles I. it under a microscope the days of the 3000 mile oil change are gone you can go 10000 miles on the higher quality oils. I have to elite. the 3000 mile number was developed by the oil manufactures and the auto industry to generate revenue
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #41
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
the truth is your 1st oil change will have the most amount of garbage in the oil. I'd sure like to change mine around 2k or 3k then not so much a big deal.

If you want it done more often, change it at 50% yourself (or pay) but don't reset the oil life... then have dealer do it at 0%.

I don't even like to have my oil changed... had 2 oil plugs stripped at shops.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #42
B-_-RAD
Banned

Yeah it was the first change, thats why I wanted it done realatively early