Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #113
gmpartsman

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
GM won't be cutting your keys, the dealer will, assuming he has a key cutting machine. Don't know how GM will handle if the dealer doesn't have a key cutting machine.
if you supply the key code when ordering the keys they do come pre-cut if you are not fortunate enough to have a laser machine
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #114
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsman View Post
if you supply the key code when ordering the keys they do come pre-cut if you are not fortunate enough to have a laser machine
Do you have a part number of the key? So we can order at our dealership?

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #115
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Let's all just relax a little and have a little comic relief...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #116
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
Awful. I thought the obvious solution was a different fob and key, never would have imagined that they would do some half-assed crap like that. Very unhappy.

Yeah it's "just a fob" but the fob, like everything else in the car, is part of it - I don't want a gutted keyfob any more than I want a shifter without a knob or a panel without paint. Could I operate it that way? Sure, but that's not what I paid for when I bought the vehicle.

An inexcusable "fix" for a problem that wouldn't even be a recall if not for GM's other problems that they're terrified of being fined over. Just amazing.
It easy for us that have our Camaro to say they could have done better. If your is at dealer ship and can not get your Camaro until they new key is made. Would you want to wait 2 or 3 month for them to design and manufacturer a new FOB for the Camaro while your Camaro is sittng in the dealers lot. What they should do is get the key made then design a FOB for the Camaro. Once they have the new design and made then replace the old with new.
I believe the Silverado has the 2 piece key setup

Last edited by Caddyroger; 06-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #117
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsman View Post
we got 2 sets of uncut keys today,we have a laser cutter but the way they leave the fob with a crater where the key used to fold in looks like crap..i will be denying this recall and not having it performed
How do cut the keys if you do have the laser cutter?
This was the quickest way of getting the ones that have there car waiting on the dealers lot. What they should do is get the key made then design a FOB for the Camaro. Once they have the new design and made then replace the old with new.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #118
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
It easy for us that have our Camaro to say they could have done better. If your is at dealer ship and can not get your Camaro until they new key is made. Would you want to wait 2 or 3 month for them to design and manufacturer a new FOB for the Camaro while your Camaro is sittng in the dealers lot. What they should do is get the key made then design a FOB for the Camaro. Once they have the new design and made then replace the old with new.
I believe the Silverado

ABSOLUTELY!!! The ones waiting should be taken care of first

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #119
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Wow, good job GM!
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #120
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!! The ones waiting should be taken care of first
I dont belive so. Its a safety recall, they would make the cars already out there on the roads priority. You can't have an accident sitting in a dealer lot.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #121
gmpartsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Do you have a part number of the key? So we can order at our dealership?

part number is 23257735,2 keys in the pkg
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #122
gmpartsman

Quote:
How do cut the keys if you do have the laser cutter?
This was the quickest way of getting the ones that have there car waiting on the dealers lot. What they should do is get the key made then design a FOB for the Camaro. Once they have the new design and made then replace the old with new.
we decode the original key,you can also cut by the keycode,yea the fob looks like crap when finished
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #123
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I believe the Silverado
In my opinion the hacked up Camaro key is still way better the Silverado key fob. I'd rather have the switchblade sans key than the Silverado fob. I got to compare them side by side yesterday.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #124
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
What they should do is get the key made then design a FOB for the Camaro. Once they have the new design and made then replace the old with new.
Totally agree with that and I would happily have the gutted fob if I knew that a non-hackjob one is coming - but it isn't and they apparently fully intend for this to just be the fix and I find that inexcusable.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #125
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
In my opinion the hacked up Camaro key is still way better the Silverado key fob. I'd rather have the switchblade sans key than the Silverado fob. I got to compare them side by side yesterday.
That the one problem you may not like the Silverdado fob much but they may be 10 that does. People are different on how things should look like. To me I rather have the Silverado Fob but in my case the fob will be put up in my house. I have a Viper remote start and alarm so I do not use the GM fob. I do not like the switchblade I prefer a standard key.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #126
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
small LED flashlight
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote