Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
kenni

Drives: 2010 Camaro RY 2LT/RS TF 6M
traction control question

hi,
I've got a 2LT/RS M6, and after seeing a few of the camaro vs tree stories, went out to a mall parking lot and practaced loseig control to learn to correct it safely. To do this I turned off the traction control (and I know there's 2 ways to do it, I held it down for the 10 second period to get it off completely). While loseing control, I spun out compleatly and saw a message, service stabilitrak. The message would not go away until I turned the car off and then back on. Now I havent done this again since, but I was wondering if maybe I they're is another way to turn it off that I dont know about. The owners manual mentioned compitian mode for the V8 but nothing about the V6.
Thanks

PS sorry for the spelling errors, I'm on a double shift at work and need a tad more coffee.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
kenni

Ok, so since I'm on a graveyard shift, I decided to grab my owners manual and read it again. I THINK, when I put it into competitive mode, it wants to stop me from going sideways (and when practacing loseing control and spinning out, that would be sideways). So if I press it once, It'll turn the system off all together, if I hold it down, it will let my tires spin when going straight.

Do I have this right?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
The LT models don't have competition mode, only the SS.

You always want to leave TC and Stabiltrack modes on. Take it to an empty parking lot (make sure no parking curbs are buried in the snow). Then try to get it a little sideways and you'll see how TC and Stabilitrack kick in for you.

I did the same thing after our first snow to get to know the car. Turning them off should deliver you a donut as you spin out. It won't damage the car if you turn them off. Not sure why it gave you the "service" message though.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni View Post
Ok, so since I'm on a graveyard shift, I decided to grab my owners manual and read it again. I THINK, when I put it into competitive mode, it wants to stop me from going sideways (and when practacing loseing control and spinning out, that would be sideways). So if I press it once, It'll turn the system off all together, if I hold it down, it will let my tires spin when going straight.

Do I have this right?
You have it backwards.
One tap = traction control off (but stabilitrac on) = you're able to spin the tires in a straight line
Hold down = tc and stabilitrac off = you're able to spin tires in a straight line and no help in the curves
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
You have it backwards.
One tap = traction control off (but stabilitrac on) = you're able to spin the tires in a straight line
Hold down = tc and stabilitrac off = you're able to spin tires in a straight line and no help in the curves
DO TRACTION CONTROL AND STABILTRAK BOTH WORK USING THE CARS BRAKES?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Traction Control

Not to be confused with ABS, traction control has more to do with driving than stopping. It helps eliminate wheelspin on slippery surfaces, giving you improved stability when accelerating on wet or icy roads. GM's Enhanced Traction Control works by limiting engine torque. Other GM traction control systems use both the brakes and reduced torque to improve drivability. Traction control comes standard in many GM vehicles.

Stability Control

Systems such as StabiliTrak® use computer software and directional sensors to automatically engage the appropriate brake as required. StabiliTrak is standard on many GM vehicles. It has been shown to dramatically reduce single-vehicle crashes.

Last edited by SlingShot; 02-12-2010 at 10:00 AM.
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
kenni

So, does anyone else gotten the service stabilitrak message or is it just me. It goes away after I restart the car but should I be taking it into the dealership?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni View Post
So, does anyone else gotten the service stabilitrak message or is it just me. It goes away after I restart the car but should I be taking it into the dealership?
You should take it in -- I haven't seen that message at all on mine.
Have you tried calling OnStar when that message is on your screen and asking them to run diagnostics on your car? They can do that and will tell you if it's necessary to take it to the dealer.
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote