Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #57
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
I'd have to see it in person to make a final opinion. On paper it looks good. I like the 1LE emblem on the brakes...

Also, I read the blurb Oppenheimer had given about the 2013 1LE. Don't they have the same brakes as the SS? He said the brakes are "better" on the '13 1LE.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #58
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I can understand the logic of evolution, but in retrospect, look at what happened with newer STi's. Page 1 of initial pre- introduction posts on their forums were all wow_it_will_be superior. 2-3 years later, fast forward to today, it's a major thumbs down proposition even if quote on quote "superior", lol, many now long for the older ones.

Anything is possible, too early to tell, but chances are on your side, that you might be right, but don't bet life savings on it ; )

30 more hp, 150+lbs lighter, magnetic suspension, bigger brakes, bigger wheels/tires, and a kick-ass engineering team. I'd bet on it.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #59
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
I'm sure it is better: $50,000 worth of better! Seriously though, I doubt it will be less than $46,000 for the SS model. I doubt this time around that it will be the "great value" the 5th gen was. I wonder if that is another reason why its offered only with the 1SS??
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #60
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
30 more hp, 150+lbs lighter, magnetic suspension, bigger brakes, bigger wheels/tires, and a kick-ass engineering team. I'd bet on it.
Don't jump the gun on the bet until you see price, just sayin'.

I wonder if they could have saved even more weight without the M.R suspension?

Sure it's a great technology, but I wonder if they sacrificed ultimate performance for a lil comfort flexibility on this one, and at the expense of more weight?

Curious if the next Z28 will have Magnetic Ride.

Personally, I'm all for Magnetic ride, but I can still somehow see it, irking some with this package. Time will tell of course, and either way it goes, it will be a learning experience a few years down the line for all of us.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #61
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Very impressive to say the least . But if there is only $10000.00 diff to get the 17 ZL1 then that's the way to go .
Yeah. Here anyways, Gen5 had a $15000 spread between 1LE 2SS to a ZL1 (well my dealer anyways). FWIW, I initially wanted a ZL1..

Rationalizing that spread, it was worth it for some to modify a 1LE out of pocket, even SC it, and still have some cash left as opposed to splurging on the $15000 ZL1 difference. Sure this is debatable, but that's how I see it.

Let's see what happens with Gen6 1LE pricing.

This will be interesting and good.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #62
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
I really like what they did with the rear spoiler....i have a feeling that is going to be a popular aftermarket upgrade to a regular gen 6
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #63
Andoskyy

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
I really just cant get past the rounded front edge of the hood. Even wrapped in matte black, it still looks so soft to me. Like an Infinity G sedan.

Other than that, I think the new 1LE looks damn nice. Still in love with my 15 though!
Andoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #64
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
I'm sure it is better: $50,000 worth of better! Seriously though, I doubt it will be less than $46,000 for the SS model. I doubt this time around that it will be the "great value" the 5th gen was. I wonder if that is another reason why its offered only with the 1SS??
Agree! I don't think this package will be the sweet $3500 deal that it used to be. I'd expect a 1LE option on an SS to run close to the $10k mark. Base SS is $37k..............
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #65
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I did look at the parts list description. It was said "alot more equipment". But aside from the magnetic ride, they didnt get into specifics. Wasnt the mag ride ptioned at 3k or something, prior?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #66
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I did look at the parts list description. It was said "alot more equipment". But aside from the magnetic ride, they didnt get into specifics. Wasnt the mag ride ptioned at 3k or something, prior?
1695.00, I think.

Chevy did say that Mag Ride, Recaro's, 6-piston Brembo's and NPP exhaust were all standard on the new package. 3 items (brakes/exhaust/mag ride) are 5.8K as options on the new SS and Recaro's were 2K on ours. Of course, the package will be discounted, but still a lot of stuff!

Last edited by PapaKlutch; 02-11-2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: typo
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #67
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Waiting until I see the ZL1 released to decide but I think my '15 1LE will be my last Camaro (new one at least, want to own another 4th gen). My next car will probably be a pre-owned C7Z when the prices drop below 65k in 2-3 years.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #68
Xeno13

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE / Nightfall Grey
I think Chevy is going to make the 2017 1LE more capable and skip the Z/28 and next add the ZL1 - that way they have the track car and drag car at a better price point and be priced better for the market in the long run - love those wheels and breaks - looks like it needs lowered a bit to me and needs a nice side rocker panels

If you see the way they designed the Rocker panels on the 16 - you can can see how the next (ZL2 or mayb Z28 if they do one) will have some sort of rear cooling duct where the gills use to be for the breaks
Xeno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #69
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

Drives: 1LE
I had a 13 1LE. Loved it. Amazing car.

The 16SS is an order of magnitude better than the 5th gens and the 17 1LE will be, as someone else said "vastly superior" Think about it in these terms: Just from the 0-60 time being in the low 4's and the quarter time being in the low 12's. Now throw on a better suspension and tighter gearing! Holy crap. That is where it will be vastly superior.

Just as the 1LE was vastly superior to the SS. People who hated Camaros were AMAZED at my 1LE and how it handled, I had to clean up the drool on the hood from a lifelong Ford guy when he saw it.

So, while a nicer nav screen and even better interior do nothing for me, factory go fast machines do. Were at the golden age of performance. Im surprised car dealers can continue to make products that eclipse the generation before. Im waiting for moores law to kick in. But for now you can go buy a car that is on par with a 3 or 4 year old supercar for not a lot of money.

And yes GM, hurry, so you can take my money!!!!
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #70
GMUSA#1

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
A couple of observations:

Source: lhttp://www.chevrolet.com/culture/art...-packages.html

- '16 SS outperforming the Gen5 1LE, from the GM article advertisement statement:
Was the 'outperforming SS optioned with MRC? or was it just the SS w/out MRC?
(or both?) that outperformes the Gen5 as stated? If I remember correctly the test
results were different(I could be wrong).

- To me, because these are track focused cars, the REAL test is in the real world of
multiple laps, not just warm up and then 1 lap to say 'better than previous
Gen5 1LE'
. Lets say Randy Pobst driving for consistency and lets observe the
results pushing the brakes and tires drive train etc. I think it's the '16 SS with MRC
might be the better performer, but I don't think it's vastly better.

- '17 LT/1LE:
A beautifully balanced daily driver, the V6 Camaro LT 1LE is also a beast on the track. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo® brakes, and Goodyear® Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97 g in cornering grip, offering driver enthusiasts consistent lap after lap performance on the track.
“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V6 customers.”.

-17 SS 1LE:
The V8 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the sixth-generation Camaro — a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the magnetic dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. The package includes a new segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential. Paired with exclusive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1 g.
“The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS,” said Oppenheiser.
The 1LE Performance Package will be available late 2016.

NOTE:
17 LT/1LE:
- Goodyear® Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97 g in cornering grip

FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars.
Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires.
Mechanical limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio.
'17 SS 1LE:
-exclusive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1 g.
-
new FE4 suspension to the sixth-generation Camaro — a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the magnetic dampers, springs and stabilizer bars.

Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
Unique forged-aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires w/compound and construction developed
exclusively for Camaro.
Brembo brakes with new 6-piston monobloc front red calipers and 2-piece rotors.
Track cooling package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers.

Summary:
The '17 LT/1LE looks as if it borrows the FE3 componets from the standard SS to model it a 1LE option with of course other parts.

The '17 SS 1LE seems to be what I think what was the mostly focused on by Al and team. It will be a great car. We will have to wait until they start testing them to see the true potential. We do have the new '16 SS w/MRC etc. to compare to.

I could be wrong, but I find it hard to say the Gen5 1LE and the new '17 SS 1LE are going to be worlds apart. Yes greatly improved, but.... Also noticed there was no mention that I saw on the weight of the '17 1LE. The V6 LT 1LE runs the SS
Goodyear F1 tires(not G2). Could these be the run flats from the SS? not sure.

Just my two cents.

Peace
GMUSA#1 is offline   Reply With Quote