Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
1LE Replacement Tires

Hey Guys,

Looking to replace my GY's with something similar, but with better hydroplaning resistance. Want to stay as square as possible on sizing, so 285's or 295's all around or maybe 285 front and 305 rear at most is preferred. I hear too much how people regret going very staggered once they have experienced the square set up.

Does anybody know anything about the Continental ContiSportContact 5P:
http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...ehicle_id=1372

or the Continental ExtremeContact DW:
http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...ehicle_id=1373

I am not concerned with low tread life, I want an aggressive street tire that will give me confidence in heavy rain. The GY's are fine when wet, but anything heavy and they are a huge hydroplane risk. Other than that, and their loudness I love them. These tires WILL NOT be tracked, so that is not a concern.

Any other suggestions would be great(PSS out of stock of course).

Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
From what I have researched the ContiSportContact 5P is going to be as close of a match to the MPSS as you can get. The Continental ExtremeContact DW seem like a better deal since you are getting near identical performance with quite a bit more thread life.

Since you mentioned no track duty, I would also consider some Nitto Invos sized at 295-35-20. Great performing tire for everyday use, great in the wet.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
From what I have researched the ContiSportContact 5P is going to be as close of a match to the MPSS as you can get. The Continental ExtremeContact DW seem like a better deal since you are getting near identical performance with quite a bit more thread life.

Since you mentioned no track duty, I would also consider some Nitto Invos sized at 295-35-20. Great performing tire for everyday use, great in the wet.
Thanks Zybrog, I did forget about the Invo. I knew they were an amazing all around street tire, but thought they had a softer sidewall than the other tires I have been comparing. Will do some more research for sure.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Yes Sir and good luck.

Let us know what you decide on and how you like them. I know I will be in your same shoes here shortly, my stock tires are getting a little winded..
Old 04-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Thanks Zybrog, I did forget about the Invo. I knew they were an amazing all around street tire, but thought they had a softer sidewall than the other tires I have been comparing. Will do some more research for sure.
Invos nice for the street. But thats because of the soft sidewall. I auto x my car and they melted away in 7000 miles and 180 laps, used up 7/32" of tread. Same amount of time on MPSSs only 2/32" used up
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Continental DW's are known for having a pretty soft sidewall as well. I'm running 275 Mickey Thompson street comps and am pretty happy with them, they do not ride very well though because the sidewalls are STIFF. However this really stiff sidewall has been awesome for track and autocross, they don't roll over at all!

Traction seems pretty good and they held up on track without chunking or anything.

The DW's also feather very badly in autocross which will make them very noisy eventually. They probably have a bit better traction than the M/Ts though, but it's obvious they are soft.

I had a staggered INVO setup in stock SS sizes before the 275 M/Ts and they were a great street tire, super quiet, rode well, but rolled over in autox. They also had great wet traction, but I would experience some wheel hop in the wet sometimes.

The M/Ts don't really hook from a hard launch, but what street tire will from a street launch and dropping the clutch at 3k rpm in first. They spin a bit in first with my car making 420 RWHP, but I don't have to back out of the throttle at all if I hit the gas from a roll.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
ST1LE

Thanks for the reply guys! Seems odd to me that there is such limited information and reviews on the 5P. Seems like it could be a great tire though.

Looks like even the Conti's are out of stock these days. Are these companies not in the business of selling tires anymore? Nothing is available for summer tires.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Im with with you on that, definitely very strange that manufacturers have a shortage of summer tires, espcially since they are on high demand.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I've heard they only make certain models of tires at certain times, i'm guessing they will be ramping up summer tire production shortly, I guess they under estimated sales or something so the inventory dried up.

I wanted to look into some NT05s but couldn't get any before a HPDE so wound up sticking with the M/Ts.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I've heard they only make certain models of tires at certain times, i'm guessing they will be ramping up summer tire production shortly, I guess they under estimated sales or something so the inventory dried up.

I wanted to look into some NT05s but couldn't get any before a HPDE so wound up sticking with the M/Ts.
Yeah, I have heard this as well, but it seems to me something is going on though. It is basically May, and there are no tires to be had yet. That seems like either very poor marketing or forecasting as you mentioned.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
i used michelin as3 and they are great in the rain i ran them autocross and they were ok but not great at all but for street tires they were the best Ive had on the car.

(OLD CAR)2014 Camaro 1LE, 2SS, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, K&N Air Filter. E3 Catch Can. z28 Grill, and 1LE Badging
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcynet View Post
i used michelin as3 and they are great in the rain i ran them autocross and they were ok but not great at all but for street tires they were the best Ive had on the car.
Thank you very much for your review. Seems any Michelin tire is going to be worth its weight(and price). I think the PSS would fit my use and location better, as it is never very cold and the PSS seems to handle wet just fine so the A/S 3 is not needed I think.