Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #57
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I think maybe it was you that started with the wise cracks with the Kool Aid drinking. You could carry your same argument about everything on the ZL1 as well as the G8 and the SS for that matter. You don't need any of it on the street.
Are you claiming that no one needs to be able to stop their 4000 lb car from a 60mph roll a quick as possible? Facts are facts, the G8 stops a heavier car with lesser equipment and lousier pads than the ZL1 in a real world every day driving situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan
If you are talking about basic transportation than we don't need 200, 300 or 580 HP.
Well we could apply this to just about any product ever poduced. We could also apply this to any amount of power in any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan
The ZL1 was engineered and designed as a track car. You have to be consistent and repeatable lap after lap. I'll meet you at Watkins Glen with your G8 and we'll see if the Brembo's make a difference.

That is the point you are missing I think.
If by engineered you mean to run a few laps then maybe. True track cars are not really engineered with SC's. If you haven't taken notice heat soak has been a problem with Z's on the track.

As for watkins glen. Ill leave that up to the professionals. My driving experiences don't revolve around watkins glen. It does revolve around having to be able to stop in a given situation in an emergency. Which as pointed out the G8 does it better, for roughly half the price of a Z.

It was stated that the ZL will stop its heavy weight better than any other car. If you like I could post brembo's own list of top breaking cars and the Z isn't anywhere on its list.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #58
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
I love the fact that Zaino is anti static also, but I never used it more than once every two months tops. Its just so durable, and it does carry a tad more cost than traditional waxing. Are you stripping the old Zaino off each time also?
Nope! Just use some Z5 and Z2 and build up layers as I go, I don't feel comforable just washing and drying until I have a lot of layers built up.
That's just me and one of my quirks however.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #59
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Clearly the G8 is the better car for your road experience. Glad that works for you.

I wasn't talking about the SC for Watkins Glen as much as the braking. As Stavros reports, he went lap after lap without brake fade. I don't think the G8 will do that.

My plan is to get ceramics for the street when I wear these out. Then I will get pads specifically for the track, but if you wanted to take THIS car, stock, right from the dealer to the track, there will not be significant brake fade. That is my point. That means several tenths or even second at the track. More important than HP.

But you can keep your street comparison since you think this is just a plain out street car and to be compared against what you drive.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #60
stavros

Drives: 2012 zl1
i think the stock brakes perform well,you can always improve,the weight as we all no is huge in any spirited driving,i stopped mid session and switched cars with a friend, he has a very light zo6, the braking and cornerspeed was at least 5mph faster and the brakes werent the issue it was all weight
stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #61
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavros View Post
i think the stock brakes perform well,you can always improve,the weight as we all no is huge in any spirited driving,i stopped mid session and switched cars with a friend, he has a very light zo6, the braking and cornerspeed was at least 5mph faster and the brakes werent the issue it was all weight
Now that I agree with totally. My C5 Z06's were very easy to drive and very neutral. I was not nearly as tired after sessions that I was in the Camaro. It was a chore to muscle the weight and balance of a 4th Gen Camaro. I am hoping the ZL1 is a little easier.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #62
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyv View Post
The the ZL1 has the worst brake dust of any car I've ever owned!
I am sorry to hear of the dissatisfaction you are having concerning the brakes. Have you checked with a dealership to see if this is normal?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #63
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
I will take the brake dust because the brakes work so damn good, I have been on 3 different raod course , 2 autoX and multiple drag strips and the brakes are awesome
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #64
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
The brake dust is from the design of the car's braking system and is pretty excessive however it is what it is. I have 137 miles on my car and have not had to wash it yet but did clean the wheels twice. The good thing is you can get a small sponge to clean the inside of the wheels between the rotor and wheel.

Last edited by JWR046; 08-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #65
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
For performance brakes, the more dust the better. Watch them take a Nascar stock car wheel off at a short track.

You can look to the racing stuff for all the tips. Huge dust, no drilled rotors, best fluid and lines available, as much cooling as possible.

If your tracking the ZL1, I'd swap in some better fluid and lines. Then stock up on some spare stock pads and rotors. Inspect often. Get black wheels, and a dark body color.

IBM with black wheels would have been my pick until some no talent color killin degenerate killed off IBM. I'd probably now go with AG with black wheels as a second choice.

Get a light color with polished wheels... the dust will drive you nuts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #66
Tabloma

Drives: Red ZL1
I just got some new pads from Porterfield today, supposed to be low dust. I'll let you know. Hope to change them out tomorrow
2018 Red Hot ZL1 A10 (traded in)
2015 Z/28 Red Hot w/ GM Wickerbill (traded in)
2009 Siverado 2500HD (Tows and Plows)
2010 Cadillac CTS (Wifes driver)
2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition (Wife’s car)
2014 Subie Outback (My driver)
Cushman Minute Misers and Scooter
Cushman Minute Miser used parts abundance
ASE Certified Master Mechanic
ASE Certified Master Collision Repair Technician
Tabloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #67
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I just swapped my pads to EBC yellow and they feel great. They should be good for the track and street. Dust seems less.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #68
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Just as an update. I changed to Hawk Ceramics for the street and they create a lot otess dust. Still haven't been to the track. SHAME on me!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #69
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I put my stock pads on the shelf and put on Hawks, no issues but have not tracked them. I did do the procedure for the brake pads recommended by the manufacturer for both sets, no issues there as well.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #70
Tabloma

Drives: Red ZL1
I drove the ZL1 last night with the Porterfield pads. The front ones did need some modification to fit, but no big deal. I have vertually No brake dust. Those using Hawk ceramics, These are good pads as well, had them on my Z06 and Grand Sport. I would be careful tracking them. Since these pads swap so easily, I would reinstall the OE pads which are Ferrado pads for track use.
2018 Red Hot ZL1 A10 (traded in)
2015 Z/28 Red Hot w/ GM Wickerbill (traded in)
2009 Siverado 2500HD (Tows and Plows)
2010 Cadillac CTS (Wifes driver)
2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition (Wife’s car)
2014 Subie Outback (My driver)
Cushman Minute Misers and Scooter
Cushman Minute Miser used parts abundance
ASE Certified Master Mechanic
ASE Certified Master Collision Repair Technician
Tabloma is offline   Reply With Quote