Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Wild Thing
Royal Cdn. Navy (Retired)

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Cigerette Lighter Power

Would it be a big problem to change the cigerette lighter recepticles to have power on all the time instead of being off unless the key is in on position? I have GPS and other things such as Walkie Talkie's that I would like to use without turning ignition on all the time.
Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
yeah I am curious myself.. I do not like the fact at least one doesn't stay active when the vehcile is off.

my chrysler had an offset fuse, that you could move to make the outlets active or keyed, I haven't looked to see if GM has done the same thing.

Owners manual tells me fuses F17 and F18 in the instrument panel fuse block (drivers side of dash)

I will have to look once I get the car back.

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 10-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Wild Thing

74 views and no answers
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Wild Thing

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah I am curious myself.. I do not like the fact at least one doesn't stay active when the vehcile is off.

my chrysler had an offset fuse, that you could move to make the outlets active or keyed, I haven't looked to see if GM has done the same thing.

Owners manual tells me fuses F17 and F18 in the instrument panel fuse block (drivers side of dash)

I will have to look once I get the car back.
Please keep me posted if you find anything out, Harvey
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
CamaroRBT
Who's Laughing Now?

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS LS3 Summit White
I dont see a problem with it... just disconnect the + on the cig light and run ur own positive wire to the batt
CamaroRBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
It's easy to just run a new wire from the battery circuit to a receptacle.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
You're still gonna have to deal with the battery run down protection, where everything shuts off after ten minutes.
You'd probably have to run a "hot" wire from the battery to bypass it.
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Wild Thing

Thanks for all the help Guys much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Thanks for all the help Guys much appreciated.
Just to give you a heads up, our batteries dont have much capacity for running accessories directly off the battery once the car is off!

I killed my battery in Revelstok B.C 35km from the town, a very scary moment! A very nice fellow camper with his big motor home gave me a boost to get the battery back up and running. On the plus side, our batteries charge extremely fast (about 1h of idling makes the battery full charged which is less than 3amps of charging remaining)).

I learned the hard way and have drained my battery several times to the point that the engine could no longer turn over. The only items I would ever recommend running after the car is shut off would be stuff like a cell phone charger or a camera charger. I've also used a 12v air mattress pump hundreds of times on the cig lighter without any issue.

If your daring enough to countinue, you can run the cigarette power on long after you shut the car off BUT there is a trick. You need to shut off the car from the passenger side then exit through the passenger side. Once your car is shut off, you still have full control over power in the Camaro untill you open your drivers side door.

I know every trick here since I use the Camaro for exploring and camping throughout the spring/fall/summer and acc. is my best friend.

Lastly, battery protection wont do jack for you, dont relie on this from preventing you from being stranded one day because your battery got drained. Battery protection only properly works from a fully charged battery from the get go.

If you got any more questions, I will try my best to answer them for you.

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Wild Thing

Cig Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Just to give you a heads up, our batteries dont have much capacity for running accessories directly off the battery once the car is off!

I killed my battery in Revelstok B.C 35km from the town, a very scary moment! A very nice fellow camper with his big motor home gave me a boost to get the battery back up and running. On the plus side, our batteries charge extremely fast (about 1h of idling makes the battery full charged which is less than 3amps of charging remaining)).

I learned the hard way and have drained my battery several times to the point that the engine could no longer turn over. The only items I would ever recommend running after the car is shut off would be stuff like a cell phone charger or a camera charger. I've also used a 12v air mattress pump hundreds of times on the cig lighter without any issue.

If your daring enough to countinue, you can run the cigarette power on long after you shut the car off BUT there is a trick. You need to shut off the car from the passenger side then exit through the passenger side. Once your car is shut off, you still have full control over power in the Camaro untill you open your drivers side door.

I know every trick here since I use the Camaro for exploring and camping throughout the spring/fall/summer and acc. is my best friend.

Lastly, battery protection wont do jack for you, dont relie on this from preventing you from being stranded one day because your battery got drained. Battery protection only properly works from a fully charged battery from the get go.

If you got any more questions, I will try my best to answer them for you.

Shaun
Thanks Shaun, lots of good tips much appreciated, was basicly for my GPS when I stop for coffee its a pain in the butt to reprogram every time. Harvey