Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Another set of dyno numbers plus..

Ok.. so decided to do some baseline pulls on the car. Took it to the shop that did all the tuning on my Mustang... a place I trust! LOL!

Number were basically identical to MadMaxx's. Best pull was 248 HP / 222 TQ. This however was on a DynoJet... hmmm... Maxx's was on a Mustang Dyno which usually reads about 12% lower than a DJ... Maxx any chance your shop has their Mustang dyno calibrated to read like a DJ? I know some shops will do that... If not I think you have a factory freak!

Quick run of the math 304HP at crank with 248 at the wheel... 304 - 248 = 56 HP loss. 56 / 304 = 18.4% loss... which is about right for a automatic... So I would say we have a pretty darn good base line! LOL!

here's the sheet:

And of course the video! LOL!

Now.. here comes the interesting parts... I had Lidio pull up a 100% stock 2005 Mustang V6 automatic dyno pull and over lay it with one of mine...

Also... just had to stop at the track on way home... no big head wind today! LOL! I only made a couple passes since I told the Mrs. I wouldn't be gone ALL day! LOL! New personal best for the car! (although the MPH is about 10 MPH off!!! No idea what was going on with that! Speed read 93 going through the traps..) This was Sport mode, TC on and a fairly aggressive launch with a bit of chirping..

Last edited by scrming; 07-04-2009 at 05:07 PM.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
WoW... those are GREAT V6 numbers....
Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Wait...

100% stock V6 what? You didn't say if it's a Camaro, a Mustang...what are you comparing this to?
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
Wait...

100% stock V6 what? You didn't say if it's a Camaro, a Mustang...what are you comparing this to?
D'oah!! Sorry... Mustang... I fixed original post... Thanks!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Ok.. so decided to do some baseline pulls on the car. Took it to the shop that did all the tuning on my Mustang... a place I trust! LOL!

Number were basically identical to MadMaxx's. Best pull was 248 HP / 222 TQ. This however was on a DynoJet... hmmm... Maxx's was on a Mustang Dyno which usually reads about 12% lower than a DJ... Maxx any chance your shop has their Mustang dyno calibrated to read like a DJ? I know some shops will do that... If not I think you have a factory freak!

Quick run of the math 304HP at crank with 248 at the wheel... 304 - 248 = 56 HP loss. 56 / 304 = 18.4% loss... which is about right for a automatic... So I would say we have a pretty darn good base line! LOL!

here's the sheet:

Now.. here comes the interesting parts... I had Lidio pull up a 100% stock 2005 Mustang V6 automatic dyno pull and over lay it with one of mine...

Also... just had to stop at the track on way home... no big head wind today! LOL! I only made a couple passes since I told the Mrs. I wouldn't be gone ALL day! LOL! New personal best for the car! (although the MPH is about 10 MPH off!!! No idea what was going on with that! Speed read 93 going through the traps..) This was Sport mode, TC on and a fairly aggressive launch with a bit of chirping..

Nice dyno and 1/4 mile run. Those V6 Camaro's are good runners.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

here's the sheet:

Mustang Dyno's (and any other load based dyno) can be calibrated to put out whatever numbers the owner wants.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #7
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Thanks for clarification. That makes sense now. As expected, the Camaro has lots more power than the V6 Mustang.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
Thanks for clarification. That makes sense now. As expected, the Camaro has lots more power than the V6 Mustang.
What was interesting is the HP/TQ are basically identical up to about 3700 RPM... and then the Camaro just takes off! LOL! BTW, the Mustang is a 4.0L vs the Camaro's 3.6L... So the Mustang has 11% ore displacement... With the 2011 the V6 Mustang will be getting the 3.7 which is currently rated at around 270... which will definitely make thing very interesting!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Fire

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Mustang Dyno's (and any other load based dyno) can be calibrated to put out whatever numbers the owner wants.
Man I can't tell if you're being objective or just shitting on their parade....
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
He's being VERY objective... Mustang dyno's do tend to give lower numbers... but people like higher numbers... so some shops will calibrate their Mustang Dynos to read higher like the Dyno Jet numbers to aid in customer satisfaction...

I no longer get hung up on dyno numbers... but I do like them to use it simply as a gauge to show incremental improvements... then it's off to the track! LOL!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Please don't quote posts like that. It's really irritating to scroll through.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
No, I'm being serious. To compare dyno's on the net, the best way to do it is to use DynoJet numbers. Load based dyno's have too many variables and then STILL could be manipulated by the dyno operator to put out whatever he/she feels is correct.

For tuning purposes, though, load based dyno's are better. But for comparing between different cars in different locations, DynoJet is the most consistant (not perfect either but definately better).
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
No, I'm being serious. To compare dyno's on the net, the best way to do it is to use DynoJet numbers. Load based dyno's have too many variables and then STILL could be manipulated by the dyno operator to put out whatever he/she feels is correct.

For tuning purposes, though, load based dyno's are better. But for comparing between different cars in different locations, DynoJet is the most consistant (not perfect either but definately better).
Agreed... you'll notice I also posted the SAE numbers.... which makes things even more consistent...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Fire

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
I'd rather be disappointed than think I have 30 hp more than I really do. I can handle the truth.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote