Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
Ls1408cp

Drives: 14 1le turbo
Get a base agp kit
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
From what I have seen you can street drive it with very mild boost and not need much more then more fuel. You see all the issue cause no one leave them alone. We all turn up the boost and need more of everything.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Whipple
Kenne Bell
Edelbrock
SLP
Magnuson

All of those top mount PD charger kits can be purchased in their base form and put on and be very reliable. The Whipple and the Kenne Bell will out do the others by about 25 Rwhp when put on to an otherwise stock SS Camaro.

I can attest to the Kenne Bell blower as that's what I have on my car. I bought the kit, installed it myself in my garage. And it laid down 525 hp and 502 tq to the wheels as bolted on to my otherwise completely stock 2010 LS3. Ran it that way for a summer.

Now I've since added headers and injectors and some more...but that's only because I wanted to. The base kit ran great and people have put 100k miles on some of these blowers without a hiccup.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
You can run most kits stock, the catch can and bap or zl1 fuel pump are just very recommend options for safety insurance for your motor
Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #19
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1408cp View Post
Get a base agp kit

OP mentioned baby steps. The AGP base kit would be equivalent to a conversion bed for kids. As the child..... Oops I mean as the hp addiction grows you can just turn up the boost. Call Kevin and he will guide you in the right direction. No need for headers, and OEM like quality.

As a bit of back history I started with an ECS 1500cc kit and then the addiction started and next thing you know I'm wanting 1,000+ hp.

Can't go wrong with any FI to be honest. But if you are not planning on max effort build options are very open. Only you will be the judge on when enough is enough and I would buy based on that.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Add a blower = add a catch-can.
This is good advice/good practice, but NOT a requirement.

Should you run a catch can? In my OPINION, yes, but it is not REQUIRED. The catch can is only there to remove oil that is entrained in the PCV gas/vapor that is being continuously sucked through the blower/intake manifold, preventing it from being deposited in the intake tract/blower casing, or getting built up on the back of the intake valve, in the case of the direct injected motors.

If it was required, they would be included with every supercharger/turbo kit that is sold as a complete kit, not a tuner kit.

Is there a catch can installed on factory supercharged ZL1 Camaros or ZO6 Corvettes? No, there isn't, because it is NOT REQUIRED.

With the addition of any forced induction, you are increasing the amount of PCV gases/vapor that the engine is generating, especially under boost, thereby increasing the throughput of entrained oil.

No, we are not talking about pumping quarts of oil through your intake tract. If you check your oil regularly, you could monitor how much oil you are consuming through PCV action and oil burned off the cylinder walls during combustion, provided that you don't have any oil leaks. you probably lose 1/2 quart or so between oil changes, depending on driving style, if you change oil every 3000 miles, possibly more for longer oil change intervals.

Having said all of the above, I run a catch can on ALL of my vehicles: a Whippled Camaro, N/A 383 Avalanche, and the wife's V6 Traverse. While none of those vehicles REQUIRE a catch can, it just makes good sense. I also run a one-way filtered breather in place of an oil fill cap. the one-way breather will allow any excess positive crankcase pressure to vent to the atmosphere.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #21
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I would just get cammed,geared,headers, and lots of suspension work. If later on you decide you want more then supercharge it. You'll be at about the same HP level and maybe cheaper
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
My buddy and I installed the Edelbrock E-Force S/C on my2010 SS. Because I already had LT headers on it I needed a dyno tune. It only is running with 6-8 # of boast. Without any adders the Edelbrock will give you 599hp. My drives like a daily driver till I press on the gas pedal. Even with the mods I have in my sig I still get 24 mpg on the highway. I haven't had any problems with my setup and there is 44K mile on the S/C.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #23
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Modding isn't for everyone.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #24
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I have been following many people over the years on this forum and their FI setups. You can indeed take baby steps, but horse power is a drug and you get used to it and need more. If you take these baby steps, in order to avoid the problems you wish to avoid, you have to invest in the supporting mods for long term reliability. If you slap a sc on top and run the minimum so you dont have to invest in catch can, injectors, headers, fuel pump, etc, you may be fine, but long term, you will not reap the full rewards of what it has to offer until you upgrade everything else. Honestly, a SC yields more hp per dollar than a cam and would not require much more $$ for an lsa conversion, but if you will not be running headers, upgraded fuel, etc, then you invested a lot into something expensive, but not able to use all of it. At the least, you should run a catch can for blowby - I could not imagine not having this and being FI. Dont forget the added cost of re-tune each time.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #25
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
I think the OP should trade in for a factory FI car. I can tell youll be way out of your league when it comes to modding
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #26
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
I think the OP should trade in for a factory FI car. I can tell youll be way out of your league when it comes to modding
Everyone here was "out of their league" at some point in their lives. Everyone had to learn from somewhere. The knowledge is gained from experience. I never claimed to be a knowledgeable modifier. I'm a complete newbie at forced induction but have be repairing and painting cars my whole life. They were just bone stock though. This is why I would rather take baby steps, so I can learn as I go. Nothing is more valuable than hands on experience. I also am not looking to gain the full potential of a supercharger or I would just buy a racing engine, tranny, rear, and suspension and shoot for 1000hp. It seems that most people hear forced induction mods and assume highest power gain is the goal. This is true for some, but not all.

I had a couple guys pm me so I'm good now and have a solid plan in place. Thank you fellas for helping.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #27
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I have the Whipple supercharger. The only supporting mod needed was a "boost-a-pump", which was provided in the kit. It didn't require a catch can, fuel pump, CAI, headers, flux capacitor, nothing. Their kit is shipped for the show room stock car. I would have to assume that most of the other supercharger kits are setup the same way, you would just have to check each brand out yourself.

Check it out: HERE
For that price? I would go with a twin turbo set up....

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #28
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I just got my car back from a heartbeat install. It has room to grow but I had to add nothing to the kit other than the roto fab intake. Do it...you'll be amazed.. I can add bigger injectors,bigger fuel supply,smaller pulley which adds up to more HP. In the future...for now though I'm super charged with my setup