Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 AM   #99
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
This is Incorrect. With our Controller installed, the car still recognizes any Voltage mismatch between the 2 sides which are the Gas pedal sensor and the Throttle Body sensor.

In other words:
The car consistently checks for any mismatch making sure your car's response / acceleration is exactly what you're asking it to do / how far you've pushed the Gas pedal.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 AM   #100
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
I also think sp5 is great for daily driving on the V8. I use to have it on sp6, 7,or 8 and I kept getting cels and reduced power every week and almost every day when I was driving with the paddles(this was before I returned I and got a new one). Now with the new one I had it on sp6 and got a cel once and the code was p1516 so I cleared it and lowered it to sp5 and it hasn't come back on...yet.
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #101
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
This is Incorrect. With our Controller installed, the car still recognizes any Voltage mismatch between the 2 sides which are the Gas pedal sensor and the Throttle Body sensor.

In other words:
The car consistently checks for any mismatch making sure your car's response / acceleration is exactly what you're asking it to do / how far you've pushed the Gas pedal.
How many individual traces are built in to the Camaro's OE throttle position sensor, and do either/any of them work from 5 to 0 as the other(s) go from 0 to 5?

I understand that the PCM will recognize inconsistent voltages, which suggests that any additional controller would have to provide similarly consistent outputs all the way through the range, else the PCM would of course go to reduced power.

Norm
Old 05-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #102
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Just making an observation and statement that I wouldn't trust anyone that willingly lives in a state that allows several rights to be taken away, that's all.
I live in AZ. Open and conceal carry without special permits. That being said, get your head out of your crazy right wing sphincter. People like you who hate other Americans simply because you disagree with their political position are perfect fodder for both right and left wing propagandists who divide and conquer the sheeple while destroying our nation. Thanks for helping the billionaire class and well connected to systematically destroy our standard of living. Hopefully a mod will delete this and your asinine replies.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #103
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
I'm going to try this. Lag is definitely noticeable stock. I had a few muscle cars in th 70s. I remember the lag when you waited for the secondaries to open, then. .. Va-room... heaven.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #104
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
This device is powered by the isolated 5 volt reference bank of your ECM. These are not true inputs as they measure the amount of current it takes to maintain 5 volts on the output side of the circuit. You have attached a device of unknown and inconsistent current draw to BOTH SIDES OF A CRITICAL AND REDUNDANT CIRCUIT. The car will not be able to recognize a mismatch between the two sides of the circuit now that this device controls both of them.
And you know that this device merges two circuits down to becoming a single one . . . how??? My understanding of throttle position sensors is that the traces work in opposite directions, either one of two increasing and the other decreasing or one working opposite to two others. And that the resulting output voltages have to make sense to the ECU or it will assume that one or more of them is bad. Doesn't seem the least bit logical that you've thrown away the redundancy here.

You've probably read about the Toyotas and their throttle difficulties, but perhaps not about Ford's pedal sensors and mechanical mods that some have made to them to eliminate a dead band around 0%.

Quote:
Good luck realizing what is happening and putting it into neutral in the fraction of a second it will take to smash into the car in front of you.
Mind easing up a bit on the scaremongering and trying to keep it on a technical level?

Quote:
This is one of the reasons they want to make it illegal to work on your own car. With all the knowledge on this board how come nobody seems to care how the ECM works and how it does what it does. Not a single thread regarding somebody taking the cover off it to look and learn its just a "magical black box" that's programmed never to kill you.
How many people are actually going to understand this topic in enough depth to discuss details? I wasn't an EE or CS type, so it'd probably run out past my understanding pretty quickly. And I've even set up and tuned a multiport EFI system.

How 'bout we look at throttle tinkering from a different perspective . . . while trying to maintain the same position with respect to tinkering with throttle behavior (either you do or you don't, without regard to why or which direction).

Would you be so adamant if the OE throttle behavior on these cars was too aggressive, and somebody had come up with an add-on device to slow it down?

I'm being completely serious here. Just so you know, the 2011 - 2014 5.0 Mustangs actually do come with throttle response that is too aggressive for autocross. Comes in too quickly to be "smooth" as you exit a turn, and more than one national-level driver has resorted to running a gear too high just to keep this problem at bay. You can't convince me that that's a good thing, or that it shouldn't be modified, as there still are street driving implications.

Hell, I've even had to solve the same kind of problem in a purely mechanical throttle system, where opening a large throttle body with the original linkage was still too fast for fine throttle control. Maybe this doesn't matter if you're only interested in straight line acceleration, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a significant problem.

Norm
Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #105
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Just making an observation and statement that I wouldn't trust anyone that willingly lives in a state that allows several rights to be taken away, that's all.
Yea, your right... BTW, How's that fracking thing working for you there? For a state to tell a landowner that they only own the service land and that they can sell everything below it to whoever they want.. That sure makes me want to live there..

But, back on topic.. I love my VTC, I can set it to be as aggressive as I want..

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #106
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisprz2010camaross View Post
I also think sp5 is great for daily driving on the V8. I use to have it on sp6, 7,or 8 and I kept getting cels and reduced power every week and almost every day when I was driving with the paddles(this was before I returned I and got a new one). Now with the new one I had it on sp6 and got a cel once and the code was p1516 so I cleared it and lowered it to sp5 and it hasn't come back on...yet.
SP5 is where I run mine most of the time.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #107
LastGen5
Manual Guy - Until Now...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm being completely serious here. Just so you know, the 2011 - 2014 5.0 Mustangs actually do come with throttle response that is too aggressive for autocross. Comes in too quickly to be "smooth" as you exit a turn, and more than one national-level driver has resorted to running a gear too high just to keep this problem at bay. You can't convince me that that's a good thing, or that it shouldn't be modified, as there still are street driving implications.

Hell, I've even had to solve the same kind of problem in a purely mechanical throttle system, where opening a large throttle body with the original linkage was still too fast for fine throttle control. Maybe this doesn't matter if you're only interested in straight line acceleration, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a significant problem.
Interesting perspective. For me, this mod solved the mildly disappointing 0.3-0.5 second lag I experienced when getting into the accelerator. All this device is is a proportional analog output signal generator based on the throttle position and the Vitesse controller setpoint. Used responsibly, this (from my own experience) is a tool that can be used to both enhance or retard throttle response (Norm, your dial down function throttle control is here as well if you want it). It doesn't add any power but it does allow the power to be applied a few fractions of a second faster than the stock throttle control.

Like all mods, the liability falls to the installer. In my view, this is no different than installing a ported throttle body to forced induction: You are changing the performance characteristics of your vehicle away from stock. It is ultimately up to the driver to control his vehicle in a safe manner.

Personally, this mod is a lot of fun and took away that minor disappointment with the stock throttle lag. To each his own.
Attached Images

LastGen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #108
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Save your breath... nobody is going to listen.

This dopey thing is an absolute liability nightmare waiting to unfold for anyone unfortunate enough to have an at-fault accident where there is even a sniff of a chance that car control was an issue. Like I've said before, in such an instance the plaintiff's attorney is going to pee all over himself as he prepares for the easiest slam dunk trial of his career.

But nobody cares because it is so fun and all the cool kids are doing it.
You are right. It is a concern. I am taking a risk with using it but I like it so much I can't take it off! My only real concern is that it could fail when I go to make a turn in front of traffic and suddenly lose throttle. If it has "un-intended acceleration, then it's no worse than a Toyota.

I'll take the risk for now.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #109
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
You are right. It is a concern. I am taking a risk with using it but I like it so much I can't take it off! My only real concern is that it could fail when I go to make a turn in front of traffic and suddenly lose throttle. If it has "un-intended acceleration, then it's no worse than a Toyota.

I'll take the risk for now.

J
There is no such thing !

All GM Cars with "Drive by Wire" system have a safety option that will send the car into "Reduced Engine Power" whenever it detects something wrong or if anything fails within the system.

There is a constant check of voltage between the accelerator and the Throttle body sensors.

On top of that, our Controller has an additional fail-safe mode that will default back to SP0 ( Stock mode ).
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote