Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
M3 Fan New To ZL1

Hello, everyone. I just bought a new 2013 ZL1 in Black. As you can tell by my signature, I change cars like I change my underwear.

I've had the last two models of the BMW M3, the E46 and the E90. I've also had the Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote engine. I've loved them all, but the ZL1 is actually better than all of them!

The M3's are wonderful machines. They are great at everything. That said, the only thing that either of my M3s were better at than my ZL1 were they had nicer interiors. NOTHING else does the M3 do better. The ZL1 is an awesome machine!

Truth be told, I had planned to buy the new Stingray, but decided to wait for the ZR1 to come out. I also favored the Shelby GT500 before I drove the ZL1. While the Shelby is a Machete, the ZL1 is a scalpel. I cannot believe that Ford has the nerve to charge $8k more for the Shelby. After driving the Shelby, there was no way that I was going to ever drive my 6 year old daughter in that car. The ZL1? It can be a daily driver!

So far my only cons on the car are:

1) The paint - It's better than my M3 paint was, but worse than Ford. The Mustang GT had some durable paint. After almost 2 years as a daily driver, not one rock chip. I'm not a fan boy of either Chevy or Ford. I just love cars!

2) The Narrow side windows make visibility bad. As an Instinctual driver, I have had no problems yet. That said, it is easy to miss a car coming up on your side.

Here is an interesting point: When I was deciding whether to get the Shelby or the ZL1, I called GEICO to see how my insurance would change. I couldn't believe what I found out. My insurance would almost double (currently $1400/yr for a GT and a Highlander) to $2600/yr (+$1200/yr) if I got the Shelby. The ZL1? It went up $150/yr! What a difference. It only goes to show that there are a lot of Shelbys biting the dust, as most drivers cannot handle them. The ZL1 is so much more forgiving, although it is still a monster.

You have a great forum here. I look forward to being a member.

Last edited by BigBoyBlue; 11-30-2013 at 01:52 PM.
BigBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
Thumbs up We'll said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
Hello, everyone. I just bought a new 2013 ZL1 in Black. As you can tell by my signature, I change cars like I change my underwear.

I've had the last two models of the BMW M3, the E46 and the E90. I've also had the Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote engine. I've loved them all, but the ZL1 is actually better than all of them!

The M3's are wonderful machines. They are great at everything. That said, the only thing that either of my M3s were better at than my ZL1 were they had nicer interiors. NOTHING else does the M3 do better. The ZL1 is an awesome machine!

Truth be told, I had planned to buy the new Stingray, but decided to wait for the ZR1 to come out. I also favored the Shelby GT500 before I drove the ZL1. While the Shelby is a Machete, the ZL1 is a scalpel. I cannot believe that Ford has the nerve to charge $8k more for the Shelby. After driving the Shelby, there was no way that I was going to ever drive my 6 year old daughter in that car. The ZL1? It can be a daily driver!

So far my only cons on the car are:

1) The paint - It's better than my M3 paint was, but worse than Ford. The Mustang GT had some durable paint. After almost 2 years as a daily driver, not one stock chip. I'm not a fan boy of either Chevy or Ford. I just love cars!

2) The Narrow side windows make visibility bad. As an Instinctual driver, I have had no problems yet. That said, it is easy to miss a car coming up on your side.

Here is an interesting point: When I was deciding whether to get the Shelby or the ZL1, I called GEICO to see how my insurance would change. I couldn't believe what I found out. My insurance would almost double (currently $1400/yr for a GT and a Highlander) to $2600/yr (+$1200/yr) if I got the Shelby. The ZL1? It went up $150/yr! What a difference. It only goes to show that there are a lot of Shelbys biting the dust, as most drivers cannot handle them. The ZL1 is so much more forgiving, although it is still a monster.

Welcome my brother, love the neutral opinion and the best I've heard. You wouldn't believe the garbage opinions from members much older (old school) that make you think only juveniles post here. Anyway, glad to have you around.
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Congrats on the ZL1 and welcome to the site! Post up a couple pics when you get a chance!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
BigBoyBlue

Thanks, guys. Truth be told, my 2012 GT was at MINIMUM equal to the M3, but half the price. The ZL1 is probably 40% of a more complete car than either of them were.

I'm not too old, only 41. This car is too nice to drive. In the Nanny state of Maryland, we have speed cameras all over the place. I have a feeling that I'll be writing many checks to the State of Maryland for speeding. haha.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
You were not joking about going through cars.

Anyway when it comes to cars at the end of the day I buy what I like and I don’t give a sh!t what other people have to say about my decision.

I haven’t been able to drive the car being that is in storage due to a move, but I still don’t regret my decision. I will be back in the driver’s seat soon enough.

Welcome to the forum and good write up.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Well I hope you enjoy it,and congrats..
Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
DrDJ

Drives: 2013 ZL1 White A6
Welcome Bigboy!! Enjoyed your writeup. Nice to get the perspective and opinion of someone who has DRIVEN those cars. All of the cars you have owned are great cars. I have to agree with you that the ZL1 really does have a fine blend of performance and daily driver comfort. Its not a luxury car but its really pleasant to drive; its not the most powerful out there, but certainly plenty of power to enjoy. Hope you can enjoy your car more when the weather warms up. Im sure you have already seen they aren't really made for cool winter temps; at least not hitting the throttle very hard.
DrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Asab

Drives: 2014 Zl1 Red Hot M6
Congrats my man !!!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Congrats on getting an awesome car and a very interesting point of view. Just a side note, get the clear cover on your new ride ASAP. I did mine 4 weeks after I purchased mine and I already had 3 paint chips but the clear bra will save your paint, and the heart ache.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post

BigBoyBlue,

Congrats on your ZL1! I'm happy you made the move. How's the enjoyment been?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Congrats and welcome aboard !
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Thanks for your review. It is nice to see an independant perspective from someone that has owned a wide variety of cars. I feel warm and fuzzy. Now I just need winter to end so I can drive mine again!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
BigBoyBlue

Thanks, everyone. So far so good with the ZL1, although I still haven't been able to really test her yet. Still, the car impresses me with how easy it is to commute in. I commute in Washington D.C. traffic, ranked the worst in the country. So smooth, yet so much usable power down low. My M3's had to be revved to get any power, due to their torque deficiency. The power was there, but you couldn't use it unless you were WOT. When I did use it, people would think I was racing and give me dirty looks.

I just found something minor that the M3s did better. The hill assist was much easier to use. Other than the few things I mentioned, I prefer the ZL1 by a large margin.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
BigBoyBlue

I forgot to mention that I have been to the BMW M performance school and the advanced school as well. In that time I was able to drive the M3, and the previous model M5s and M6s around tracks including VIR. I have to say that other than interiors, the ZL1 is better in almost every way. I can afford to buy these M cars, but I chose the ZL1 instead. You get so much more for your money and you keep the jobs in the USA/Canada.