Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
steph09

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Advice to Fuse Pull

I thought the tank was empty empty, but when I filled it up with 93, I only got 16.352 gallons. I know the tank is suppose to be 19 gallons.

My question is, should I do the fuse pull now or will some hint of 87 mess up resetting the high octane table and keep me at a low octane table?

This is the first time I think i've ran anything but 87 in my car. I already noticed that the car runs smoother.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
You can do the fuse pull now, but it isn't really necessary. Over time the system will adjust to the new fuel on its own and you'll be up to full power!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Since you are running 93 from here on out I would drive it then do the fuse pull after your next 93 fill. It may not make a differance but I know in the back of my mind I could say it has taken the premium fuel settings when I stomp on it. Have fun!
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You can do the fuse pull now, but it isn't really necessary. Over time the system will adjust to the new fuel on its own and you'll be up to full power!
That was true on older Camaro / Firebirds, but it is not suppose to be the case on these 5th gen cars
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Do another tank of 93 then do the fuse pull, the biggest change is when you romp on it. I'm jealous of all you people with 93. I'm stuck paying Cali prices for 91.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post

WRONG. The computers in the Camaro do not auto go back. Since the car has passed all states validation for emissions they can not change the computer or GM would have to revalidate the car which cost money. So 5th GEN owners are stuck with a ECM that will not update.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
WRONG. The computers in the Camaro do not auto go back. Since the car has passed all states validation for emissions they can not change the computer or GM would have to revalidate the car which cost money. So 5th GEN owners are stuck with a ECM that will not update.

Wow, could we have more conflicting information on an important subject or what???

Which is it, auto reset or fuse pull. Does anyone have any solid proof that the ECM resets at 87 and stays there until the fuses are pulled or that it does in fact reset itself over time...

There must be some way to prove this one way or the other once and for all as I for one am tired of the opinions going back and forth... Cannot get a straight answer.

With all the grey matter floating around in here where are the gurus with the physical proof? -

Can the data be read off the ECM, I am sure someone can do this.
beebumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
Wow, could we have more conflicting information on an important subject or what???

Which is it, auto reset or fuse pull. Does anyone have any solid proof that the ECM resets at 87 and stays there until the fuses are pulled or that it does in fact reset itself over time...

There must be some way to prove this one way or the other once and for all as I for one am tired of the opinions going back and forth... Cannot get a straight answer.

With all the grey matter floating around in here where are the gurus with the physical proof? -

Someone posted a video where they tested those two fuses (5 & 20) with one of those meters and found there was NO current/voltage there when the car was turned off...so how does pulling those fuses accomplish anything?
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36837
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Thanks for that but....

That looks like something completely different... does not appear applicable to the 87 gas issue but simply the PCM setting the parameters normally, of which even if you pull the fuses based on that post the parameters will always return back over time. That is a waste of time.

The real issue in question and debated is the 87 octane gas problem and reset after filling with 91/93- that is the real question as that is touted as being something that is reset and does not relearn back to the old numbers unless you put 87 back in the car.
beebumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:

Physical proof? Don't know about that other than to say "fuse pull works". If your SS is running sluggish and just doesn't have the zip it used to and you suspect it is due to having low octane gas in the tank, run a couple tanks of 93 through it and then do the fuse pull. You will be amazed at the difference.

This from www.thehorsepowerjunkies.com, a pretty reliable source.

Gaining Horsepower By Pulling the Fuses In A Late Model Camaro
Added Jul 11, 2011, Under: Camaro

If you are new to owning a 2010+ Camaro SS equipped with the L99 or LS3 V8 engine, then you may not be aware of a simple trick that could unleash a few extra horsepower.
There are two specific spark timing tables housed in the memory of the vehicle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM). One is used for cars running high octane fuel and the other for when the vehicle is using low octane fuels. Whenever you drive the vehicle, the ECM is constantly making decisions based on the data it receives from all of the sensors in the engine and exhaust. Over time, the ECM will set your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) to the low octane tables.
The problem: It seems that if someone puts a low octane fuel into the tank, the vehicle can’t recover from the low octane table. Once in the low octane table the car will continue to use that information even if you are now using a higher octane fuel. Of course the side effect of this is sluggish performance, and we don’t really need to explain the benefits of running a higher octane fuel in a performance application. If you just purchased your Camaro you wouldn’t be incorrect in thinking that it isn’t uncommon that at some point the car was filled with a less potent gasoline, especially if it came from a used car dealership or from an owner who was uninformed of this problem and wanted to save a few bucks at the pump. The LTFT’s are, unfortunately, a part of the car’s non-volatile memory. That means the information is stored there, and doesn’t reset when the vehicle is turned off.
However, there is a way around this problem. Although the spark tables are part of the non-volatile memory and cannot be removed, they can be reset. A simple solution is to remove a couple of fuses from the fuse block in the engine compartment. Pulling the fuses will allow your Camaro’s ECM to reset itself to the high octane table. If you are running high octane fuel then it remain in the high table until the ECM again detects a low octane fuel.
The process is quite simple;
First, make sure the car is empty of the low octane fuel. Run the tank down low and refuel with high octane. You might consider running a tank or two through before attempting the fuse pull. Once you have better gasoline in the system, locate the two fuses shown in the diagram below. They are in the fuse box located on the passenger side of the vehicle’s engine bay. The fuses are in position #5 and #20. Remove each of these 15 amp fuses and allow the car to sit for a period of at least a few hours. There is a small, grey fuse pulling tool located on the fuse panel (In the diagram below it would be in the lower right corner area). That should make the pulling of the fuses easier. If possible, remove the fuses and allow the car to sit overnight. Once they have been out for several hours, replace the fuses. When started, the car will attempt to use the high octane fuel trims first, and if you keep high octane fuel in the car it should remain on the higher table permanently. Of course, lowered octane fuel in the tank means repeating the process.

**Note - this will be found to be the accepted procedure on any Camaro site you go to, along with many other late-model GM forums.**

So here's the thing: you can do the fuse pull, which we know will work and have your Camaro back to high performance by tomorrow... or you can do nothing and wait for however long you may think it will take your Camaro's ECM to "reset" to the correct fuel table for high octane fuel (that's if it can do it at all - I don't believe it can, based on opinions of some very knowledgeable folks here on C5.com).

Your choice.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
CAMARO_SS_2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
just did the fuse pull, and wow, i have woken her up again! she's a beast

i only left the fuse pulled for ~2 hours, didn't wait overnight.

2012 2SSRS Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic
CAMARO_SS_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_SS_2012 View Post
just did the fuse pull, and wow, i have woken her up again! she's a beast

i only left the fuse pulled for ~2 hours, didn't wait overnight.
Well there you go... "physical proof" that the fuse pull works and dozens of others here will concur (myself included).

Or... wait and see if the ECM resets itself. Two tanks? Five tanks? Three months? Six months? 100 miles? 1,000 miles?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
steph09

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
so I did the fuse pull, the car does feel smoother and slightly more powerful. I think there may be some left overs of 87 in the fuel lines/tank. So next time I fill her up again with 93 I'll pull the fuses again.

Last edited by steph09; 09-21-2013 at 06:55 PM.
steph09 is offline   Reply With Quote