Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
^Actually no, there was no service in the area I was. The wreck was about 12 miles away from the nearest town, on an curvy back road, at 5am pitch black, with a steady downpour, in 50ft fog. The individual had flipped his car and was obviously on drugs or had his senses knocked out of him. Being able to hit the OnStar button, talk to the dispatcher, and relay the individuals status so she could update the EMS was great. BTW, it took over 30 min for the first officer to arrive on scene. Tonyko1, you are free to your opinion, but please don't insult me, you weren't there.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #44
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
I just renewed mine. I like the GPS coming in through the car speakers. The GPS in my phone sucks the battery down, so I don't have to plug my phone into a charger.

I like the idea of the crash serivce and being able to track my car if it is stolen.

I got $50 dollars off, so I am happy.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #45
brkntires
Bob

Drives: 2012 2SS Synergy Edition 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
Apple maps LOL apple maps isnt superior to anything unless you are trying to get lost. They even released a formal apology for screwing it up so bad.

Sent from my MIK'ed EVO using Tapatalk

2012 Victory Red 2SS Synergy Edition M6
brkntires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #46
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Good Luck with OnStar! I HATE THEM! I called to cancel my trial period when it was over and they kept charging me Each month for 4 consecutive months. I was so pissed everytime I checked my bank account and saw that $29.89 charge for Onstar!

I would call them and ask why they kept charging me because I had cancelled months ago! I have my cancellation notice and everything. They kept giving me the same BS "Im so sorry sir, I don't know why the system keeps charging you for the service, how would you like your money back via check or bank account transfer"

Although I did get my money back, it was annoying to have to called them month after month bc of them not doing their work correctly. Therefore I have a really BAD experience with OnStar. I just hope I don't get charge this upcoming month, I am so tired of them.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #47
cosmicdebris
STATUS 6000

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS 2013 FLHX HD
Is there anyway besides On Star to access your tire pressure, mpg, oil life and use the remote functions?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #48
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
I just like the onstar app for the phone and being able to remote start and lock etc from anywhere. That is the only thing that makes me consider keeping it but Im not sure its worth the cost.

Those features on my onstar app are slow as molasses. May be my cellphone provider though. Curious as to what your response time is?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #49
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreer72 View Post
My salesman was worthless. :(
My salesman was great. First time ever though for me.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #50
cosmicdebris
STATUS 6000

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS 2013 FLHX HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
You don't need Onstar for tire pressure, mpg, oil life.
So there is another app I can use on my iPhone that can give me all that info?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
So says the Onstar shill. Face it, you could have done the same with your cellphone.

Onstar is a ripoff and an invasion of your privacy.

Thank you.
Invasion of my privacy? How do you come up with that? Are we back to the conspiracy theories again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
A cop in TX and you need OnStar, really? What do you use in your cruiser?

I think most if not ALL posts here validating OnStar are employees of OnStar making things up.
Not an OnStar employee, former GM employee though. I can assure you that the single biggest thing we miss with our non GM product is OnStar.

Simply put, unless you are visually stimulated (LOL), Turn by Turn is far superior to anything you can do with your phone. Simply call up and talk to someone and THEY do the work. Yep you could stop your car and search for a location by name or enter an address. But I don't like stopping my car to do that on my phone or in a built in NAV. Of course if you are doing this while driving you have other issues. You may actually need the airbag deployment notification service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLuche View Post
Good Luck with OnStar! I HATE THEM! I called to cancel my trial period when it was over and they kept charging me Each month for 4 consecutive months. I was so pissed everytime I checked my bank account and saw that $29.89 charge for Onstar!

I would call them and ask why they kept charging me because I had cancelled months ago! I have my cancellation notice and everything. They kept giving me the same BS "Im so sorry sir, I don't know why the system keeps charging you for the service, how would you like your money back via check or bank account transfer"

Although I did get my money back, it was annoying to have to called them month after month bc of them not doing their work correctly. Therefore I have a really BAD experience with OnStar. I just hope I don't get charge this upcoming month, I am so tired of them.
This seems to be the biggest and most consistent complaint for OnStar and XM/Serious for that matter. Haven't had that problem as we simply pay by check and don't give them a credit card. It's been a non issue for us.

Seems like there are enough people on Camaro5 complaining about this part of their customer service they could address this. I'm sure it goes way beyond Camaro5 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris View Post
Is there anyway besides On Star to access your tire pressure, mpg, oil life and use the remote functions?
No, OnStar is the only way to connect to the onboard diagnostics etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Those features on my onstar app are slow as molasses. May be my cellphone provider though. Curious as to what your response time is?
Mine works super fast. Have used iPhone 4 and 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
You don't need Onstar for tire pressure, mpg, oil life.
You do if you want to do it remotely.

Quote:
So there is another app I can use on my iPhone that can give me all that info?
Don't think so.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #52
Eskilachi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Convertible
The thing with OnStar is that it gives you an extra sort of safety feeling. I know if something happens I have these guys right there, in my car. Whether itīs a flat tire, or Iīm in an accident. And if it gets stolen, they track it, and they can actually stop it!

A lot of people say they donīt need it, and therefore the $24 or whatever isnīt worth it. I say, you donīt miss it until you actually need it.

And it takes a couple of bucks off of your insurance.
Eskilachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #53
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
Somebody should make a sticky that gets updated with the most recent, best possible deals people have secured for OnStar. ie "I threatened to cancel and they offered me $$$, but I said that's too much so they lowered it to $$$ for X months."
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #54
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Why in the world would you need to see any of that remotly? I mean are you talking to your friends and you start compoaring who has the longest oil life?
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #55
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Why in the world would you need to see any of that remotly? I mean are you talking to your friends and you start compoaring who has the longest oil life?
I love that feature of OnStar!
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I stand by what I say/said. OnStar is an invasion of privacy, they can track your car, speeds you have driven, when and where you were at any given time, etc. They even admitted to doing that even if you didn't renew your subscription.

Whatever, not for me. As soon as I find someone who can figure out where the stupid IC chip is located, it is gone.

As for diagnostics being checked, I have a clue, GO CHECK THEM.

Be a sheep if you want to be and follow the crowd, or a scared rabbit as Randall McMurphy found in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", but it won't be me.

Thank you.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote