Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
DHSS

Drives: Empty
ZL1 LOOKS!!!

It might be just me, but this car looks like a regular camaro with black side skirts and a different hood. I know the car has much more power than the regular SS, but why wouldn't someone with an SS just get the maggie for $6500 installed and have a sleeper. Just my 2 cents!!!
Attached Images

DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Go back and read some of the previous threads for more information than I can give you. But, 33% of the car was changed along with the front facia, hood and spoiler.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
DHSS

Drives: Empty
True, I understand the suspension parts! I talking about just looks, all in all it's just another SS camaro with power and little bit different front and ugly hood.
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
but why wouldn't someone with an SS just get the maggie for $6500 installed and have a sleeper. Just my 2 cents!!!
Don't get me wrong an SS with a maggie can be a sleeper, but it will take more then a S/C to get an SS to a ZL1 level.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
Don't get me wrong an SS with a maggie can be a sleeper, but it will take more then a S/C to get an SS to a ZL1 level.
S/C + tune hahahaha
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
It might be just me, but this car looks like a regular camaro with black side skirts and a different hood. I know the car has much more power than the regular SS, but why wouldn't someone with an SS just get the maggie for $6500 installed and have a sleeper. Just my 2 cents!!!
You know - you're not the only one who's made a comment like that. I, honestly, can't say I blame you too much. I think that's the beauty of it.

I think CAMARO is very had to improve on. I know the one view I don't like too much is a view of the rear, straight on. There's something about the profile that I never liked a whole lot (I think it was the relationship of the tires to the outside of the quarter panels). However, a little revision in the diffuser, the exhaust tips, and even wider rear tires (by 30mm) took care of that for me. Anyways, I like that the changes are subtle. I don't need for my car to shout to look at me!!! I'm speeding!!! Or, follow me around waiting for me to make a mistake! LOL. In addition, all of the changes to the exterior are actually functional. The front facia and splitter actually direct air flow. The hood actually extracts air and aids in downforce. There are litte front fender and rear facia deflectors that move air around the wheel openings. The rocker moldings actually help move air around the car. The rear spoiler and lower diffuser actually round-out the entire aero' package to add downforce and force ZL1 into the pavement to stick even better. I'm not aware of another package more thorough and deliberate at function in this segment.

If someone wants to take SS and add a Maggy, then why the Heck not?! You've not just created ZL1, and though I believe you've just created a car that might out-accelerate ZL1, but that's about it. You're still missing the rest of what ZL1 is all about. You will have to spend a LOT more money to get to ZL1's all-around performance, but after you did spend that money, your SS would out-perform ZL1, too. There are many cars here who've done just that.

I don't exactly know what I was hoping for from ZL1 (well - Z28 at the time). I wanted something that was a little different than SS, but not something too much, looks-wise. I think GM has done a great job with what we know of ZL1 and I can't wait to hear exactly what ZL1 will have, what it will look like, and what it will do when GM finally releases it into the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Go back and read some of the previous threads for more information than I can give you. But, 33% of the car was changed along with the front facia, hood and spoiler.
EXACTLY! Mr. Al Opp. has said it is fully 33% changed from a 1SS. Chassis, powertrain, interior enhancements (above that which all '12s are benefitting), and exterior. There are many threads regarding official information from GM that I'd also encourage you to read.

Quote:
True, I understand the suspension parts! I talking about just looks, all in all it's just another SS camaro with power and little bit different front and ugly hood.
If that's all you choose to see, then there's nothing anyone can tell you to change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
It's funny not we're characterizing SS with an SC a sleeper, LOL!!! A 5th Gen has never snuck up on me, lol. I've always seen it a long ways away

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
The zl1 is a 5th gen camaro, so it will never look drastically different than other 5th gen camaro's. Otherwise it would be a 6gen or a redesign which it is neither nor was it intended to be. And I don't think anyone wants it to be either.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Also, it seems to be a truism that things that look graceful and easy (think athlete or other type of performer) actually take considerable time and attention to achieve. Aesthetics and funtionality seem to be a rare marriage these days, which continues to help me be impressed with this machined piece of art.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
They won't make too many sheetmetal changes. It's still a Camaro, not a brand new nameplate.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
If I have my story straight, what set the '69 ZL1 apart from the SS was the engine, not the "looks" of the car.

Although others have articulated the differences between the 2012 SS and the 2012 ZL1 better than I ever could, it still boils down to personal choice.

Earlier this year I could have bought a new SS for ~37K, sent it to Lingenfelter to have the engine replaced with a modded LS9 putting out 775 hp at the crank for an additional 38K, so my total cash outlay would have been ~75K give or take a couple of grand. In the end I would still have an SS with a 427 engine in it (which aint bad by the way), but then there would be other issues to deal with (stock rear end, stock trans, traction issues, brakes, wheel upgrades, just to name a few).

Instead I chose to wait on the ZL1 with the LSA powerplant, which by the way is much more suited to adding additional hp than the LS3 per the builder/tuners I have talked to. So I pay ~ 50k for the car, send it to Lingenfelter so they can put the 700+ hp package in it for ~11K, plus I have the supercharger replaced with the TVS-2300 (~ 8K) or the ZR-1 supercharger (~5K) and guess what, I am at 775 HP and my total cash outlay is ~66-70K. And in the end . . . . I have a ZL1 BABY !!

Last edited by BiggFoot; 08-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Well like it was previously stated the ZL-1 is indeed a 5th Gen Camaro at heart with engine upgrades and a few other tinkerbells here and there. So of course you will not see any drastic exterior changes. Yes the side skirts are similiar to Havoc's Side skirts and I'm sure there are others that they resemble. The hood is one of a kind as well as the rear bumper.

Your paying for a LSA powered engine that is backed by GM's warranty. I myself would take the safe route and purchase the ZL-1 vice purchasing a KB, Pro-Charger, etc. The only way I'd do that is if my warranty ran out, I just don't feel too comfortable by spending $5-7,xxx for a supercharger and next thing you know my car is having some type of internal issue.

Thats my view on it, atleast. In that case you can have your 2 cents, I have enough spare change in case I need it.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
It might be just me, but this car looks like a regular camaro with black side skirts and a different hood.
hater.
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Aesthetics and funtionality seem to be a rare marriage these days, which continues to help me be impressed with this machined piece of art.
The hood extractor has grown on me, but I respect the opinions of those who disagree. I expect there will be plenty of people that like it so that one could easily sell the hood and get something aftermarket. That's assuming it will fit the other 2012 Camaro models.

Appearance wise, a different grill (which I'm going to do aftermarket anyway), and a functional side shark gill enhancement would be the only things I would change if I had all my wishes granted.

In other words, for me it's danged close to perfect.

I plan to drive my ZL1 until it falls apart like the Bluesmobile, and then rebuild it and do it again.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
The hood extractor has grown on me, but I respect the opinions of those who disagree. I expect there will be plenty of people that like it so that one could easily sell the hood and get something aftermarket. That's assuming it will fit the other 2012 Camaro models.

Appearance wise, a different grill (which I'm going to do aftermarket anyway), and a functional side shark gill enhancement would be the only things I would change if I had all my wishes granted.

In other words, for me it's danged close to perfect.

I plan to drive my ZL1 until it falls apart like the Bluesmobile, and then rebuild it and do it again.

LOL.....

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, 'Long as I got my plastic Jesus...Riding on the dashboard of my car" -Cromarty & Rush
(I think I'm going to need a Guardian Angel when I get the ZL1)